PDA

View Full Version : Diaper bag for 2?

wendibird22
01-04-2010, 08:42 AM
I have a newborn and a 2.5yr old. Wondering what you all recommend for a diaper bag for toting around 2. DD1 is not yet potty trained so I'd have dipes for her, plus sippy, snacks, small toy. For DD2, I'd have dipes, change of clothes, burp clothe, cotton receiving blanket.

I'm a petite gal so some of the bags advertised for 2 kids/twins are just HUGE. Also, DH takes the kids out and about so it has to be something a guy wouldn't mind throwing over his shoulder.

I've seen the Babymel X2 in BBB and wonder if it's any good. I like the idea of being able to separate it into 2 bags. Right now, we are going too many places with both kids, so I'm using a small bag for the baby and our regular bag for DD2 but then have to transfer stuff into the bigger bag on the rare occasion that we have both kids out. The Babymel seems neat that you can separate it into 2 bags.

Other suggestions?

scrooks
01-04-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm in the same boat as you are and I have yet to purchase a new diaper bag. I have been leaning towards a backpack (either a Vera Bradely or the Lands End one) because I like the idea of having both hands free...
I am curious to see what other people suggest!

magrat
01-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Maybe a solid color JJB Packabe? That's what I got anyway, though #2 isn't quite here yet to try it out on. It would work well for someone who is petite because it's not that big of a bag. Doesn't sound like you're a heavy packer either. The pockets on the front are good for keeping your stuff separate from the kids.

crazye
01-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I just got the Skip Hop Studio for Christmas and loving it so far, even though #2 isn't here yet. Right now it's barely full as #1 is potty training (so all I carry for her are extra undies/extra legging type pants). Besides her extra clothes I typically have a Snack Trap and sippy cup for her, wallet, checkbook, cell phone, pens, sticky notes (to cover up the electronic eye at certain bathrooms), a water bottle for me, etc. So it's practically empty right now which will be great for once #2 is born and I'm carrying dipes again (and we do cloth so they're a bit bulkier than disposables). The only thing I miss from my old bag to this one is that the old one could be worn messenger style and this one is more purse-like. BUT my goal was to have a bag that looked purse-like, big enough for several cloth dipes and something I could use once it's done being a dipe bag (so say if I went back to work and had to carry a laptop, this one would work)

arivecchi
01-04-2010, 09:42 PM
I use a Diaper Dude messenger bag for short trips and a Baby Sherpa for overnight trips, travel and long day outings. The Baby Sherpa has a cooler compartment and is great to load up and carry. You don't feel the weight!

a2mom
01-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm expecting my 2nd daughter in April and my oldest will be 23 months then, so I'll be packing diapers for 2 kids. I just got the AlphaSherpa backpack diaper bag from amazon for Christmas and I LOVE it! It has way more room, storage compartments and options than my JJ Cole Method bag (which I do also like). It has a cooler section at the bottom big enough for my Medela pump cooler bag with bottles, plus room for food or drink for my toddler. There is an insulated bottle pocket on the side that detaches, plus a laptop sleeve and changing pad. The lining is light gray so it's easier to find things than if everything was just black.

I think there will be quite enough room for 2 kids' stuff plus a bit for my stuff too! Plus, I love having my hands free and the bag doesn't look babyish.

lucybabymamma
01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't know about the Babymel but have a newborn and a two year old and what I use is an overland over the shoulder bag and a petunia pickle bottom boxy backpack in the glazed fabric. After trying a few bags, this combination works great (and they are both lightweight)!

The Overland bag is a good purse/baby bag and is great for organizing my things -- cell phone, wallet, planner, pens, etc -- and I just leave those in there all the time so I don't have to also carry another purse or switch things out again. There is also enought room in this bag for short trips with one baby and it even two pockets on the side for bottles or sippys.

Then the PPB bag is big enough for both my kids' things but not huge. It has enough pockets, is durable and cute, too. Plus I can't imagine using anything other than backpack with two little ones because I need my hands free.

I can carry both the messenger bag and the PPB backpack at the same time -- plus both kiddos -- and we are set!
http://www.rei.com/product/786598
http://www.petuniapicklebottom.com/collections/original/boxybackpacks/

AshleyAnn
01-10-2010, 04:15 AM
I have a california innovations diaper bag from BRU and I LOVE it. Its very roomy and has 80 thousand pockets including an insolated area for bottles/snacks. Its all coated with microban too so it stays cleaner. The outside look of thier totes are different but the actual bag is the same. I have the messanger tote and it looks more like a laptop bag than a diaper bag so DH doesn't mind carrying it.

audys
01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Consider the Ju Ju Be Be Prepared and the Skip Hop Duo Double. These are both large but well made. The Be Prepared can be worn cross body.