PDA

View Full Version : Ft Riley, KS area anyone??

KrystalS
01-04-2010, 11:17 AM
My DH just got orders for Ft Riley. He's currently deployed to Afghanistan so this was a total surprise for us. He returns in May and his report date for Riley is Sept.
I know there aren't many military families on the board but I thought someone might know the area surrounding Riley. I really need some info on schools in the area. DD will be starting 1st grade when we get there. We haven't lived on-post in several years, but if the schools surrounding Riley aren't that great we may live on-post just for the school.
Also any info about housing in the area would be great. Junction City, Ogden and Manhattan are the closest towns from what I've researched so far.

belovedgandp
01-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Welcome to Kansas! I don't have a military perspective of living in Ft Riley. I went to college in Manhattan and my husband grew up on a farm 30 minutes west of Junction.

Not sure where you are now, but for me the biggest adjustment would be it is small town Kansas life. Manhattan has grown to a decent size, but otherwise, Topeka is another hour to the east. I'm a city girl who has adjusted to life in the suburbs, but it would be a shock to my system to move there.

I've never heard anything good about Ogden. Junction is going to be hit or miss, so you'd want someone who knew the area well to help you. Manhattan is nice, but it is a college town with some higher housing costs. Maybe if you are just trying to get close enough for elementary school boundaries and not close to the university you would be fine.

KrystalS
01-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the info! I'm from a really small town(living here now while DH is deployed), so it won't be a huge adjustment for me. We were in Colorado Springs before DH deployed and I loved living in the city. It's so convenient. After being back home for the last 8 months, I can't wait to get out of here!
I've looked at some town houses in the Manhattan area, but have no idea what school districts I should be focusing on.
Any idea what the commute is like from Manhattan to Riley? We have never lived more than a few miles from post, DH really hates commuting.

belovedgandp
01-04-2010, 02:22 PM
If you were on the west side of Manhattan, the commute wouldn't be more than 15 or 20 minutes depending where on base he needs to get to.

People kind of sprawl out in different areas. There are quite a few military families out in the Chapman schools (where my DH is from), which would be a solid 45 minutes on the interstate for a commute. Those kind of surprised me.

KrystalS
01-04-2010, 02:28 PM
People kind of sprawl out in different areas. There are quite a few military families out in the Chapman schools (where my DH is from), which would be a solid 45 minutes on the interstate for a commute. Those kind of surprised me.

I can't imagine a 45 min commute. There's no way my DH would do that. He enjoys being able to come home for lunch and after pt. Junction City is the only town close enough for that and I haven't heard very good things about that area. I'll have to see what housing is like on post.
Thanks again for the info!

bluestarfish18
01-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Good to know! We never know where we'll be sent next!