PDA

View Full Version : what did you buy new for #2 (or subsequent kids)?

AnnieW625
01-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Just curious.

We don't need:
crib
crib/room decor (we are using the same gender neutral stuff)
single strollers (we have a Dreamer Design jogger, Maclaren Triumph, and Uppa Baby Vista)
dresser
changing table
0-6 mos. gender neutral sleep n play outfits
diaper champ
pack n plays (yes we have 2)
Boppy
hand nursing pump
blankets (DD had 9 blankets!)

What we really need:
one convertable carseat; our Marathon was in a 5mph fender bender and our insurance says it's no longer usable!:(. Depending on which car we put it in either a Britax Blvd., First Years True Fit, or Combi Cocorro are the top seats on our list.
baby swing
double jogger
if it's a boy, boy clothes
a second hamper for DD, since hers is green and matches the gender neutral baby decor
BPA free bottles; probably going to start with glass
Pacifiers (honestly forgot about those since DD ditched hers at 4 mos; hope we have the same luck with #2)

What might be nice to have:
Graco Snugride 35 or Chicco Keyfit 30 (not attached to the Graco Snugride 22 we had for DD; would love a new one!)
a second convertable car seat because the Triumph 5 from Oct. 2006 will expire before #2 is 2/1/2 and ready for DD's Frontier (We moved DD a few months before her 3rd birthday and unless we have a really tall kid wouldn't want to move them any sooner; plus we are going to try extended rear facing:))
Uppa Baby Vista stroller board
a used Medela breast pump
diaper bag; the Eddie Bauer one we got for DD has been well used, and I'd like something else. Thinking of Le Sport Sac, Vera Bradley, or Ju Ju Be this time. I t has to be washable, and not scream diaper bag:)

SnuggleBuggles
01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
lamp
memory book/ calendar
Swaddle Me
Motherlove Nipple Cream
nursing tank tops
sling and upgrade carrier from ds1's Bjorn
eta- car seat and pacifiers and diaper pouch, like Diapees Wipees

It killed me that we didn't need more. :) I'd go to the baby stores and wander around not thinking of anything I needed to buy.

Beth

arivecchi
01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
BPA-free bottles
new pacis
double stroller & additional footmuff
Ergo (we already had a Baby Bjorn)
new mattress and crib (we had a convertible crib for DS1 which he still uses as a bed)
newborn dipes
new parts for pumping machine
hitch hiker board for our single stroller
new bedding and mobile for DS2 (DH wanted to pick it out this time)

We re-used clothing, swaddle mes and sleepsacks, bouncy seat, strollers, swing, high chair, convertible car seat (initially passed on Blvd to DS2), diaper bags, bottle warmer and sterilizer, etc.

jenandahalf
01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I have to buy virtually everything, my first is almost 6 and we got rid of nearly everything when we moved country 3 years ago. Plus this one is a boy so the few cute girls clothes I shipped aren't suitable. I do still have my Quinny Zapp although it's loaned out right now and I have my jogger but it needs new tires shipped from England.

I started off with a crib I got half price at $50 in Ikea this weekend!

ladysoapmaker
01-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Technically we should have bought a crib for DD#1 but we just got a mattress and since we had just moved and had not set up the bed yet we just placed everything on the floor until she was old enough for her own bed. Even though she was our first girl we got so many hand me downs, we didn't need to buy any new clothes until she was around 1.

I did buy a new car seat.

For DD#2 we got my nephew's car seat then we bought 2 new (one for each car) convertible car seats. And cloth diapers. I have no idea where the diapers we had used for DS#2 & DD#1 went to. And safety gate. DS#1 broke the old safety gate. And my sister gave me my nephew's crib (with above mattress) since he just went to a "big boy's bed".

But then again we did things weird, combined households then had the last two kinda spaced far apart.

Jen

nov04
01-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Our girls adore their First years true fit car seat. It's so comfy, makes it much easier imo to keep dd1 in 5pt where I think she needs to be until further notice.

I bought slings the second time around. Thought they were another fad I didn't need with dd1, just carried her around. I appreciated on more than one occasion being able to use one hand to secure dd2 in the sling and grab/contain dd1 with the other hand while she tore away from me!!!!

We bought a swing for dd2 thinking she'd love it. It become a toy for dd1 (with dd2 in it!) and we had to retire it early.

belovedgandp
01-04-2010, 02:28 PM
I had two boys a little over 3 years apart. I didn't really need anything, but upgraded a couple things.

New infant carrier - older son was before the 30+ pound and inches seats were available and I have big kids.
Snap and go frame - in and out so much chasing older kid that having stroller for carseat was convenient.

I got some new crib sheets and changing pad covers since they old ones were looking really tired, but kept the nursery the same.

After DS2 birth, I did buy a couple of frames and keepsake items. DS1 got tons of those things and a few of the special ones I wanted to duplicate for both boys (piggy banks, growth charts, handprint kits, etc).

I'm pregnant with my third now (first girl) and besides clothing I have come up with a single thing this baby is in need of.

LD92599
01-04-2010, 02:33 PM
There's alot i need since there's 7+ years in between! Don't know the gender yet either but if it's a boy i did keep a ton of clothes. I need:

Highchair (already bought at BRU Clearance)
Diaper Bag (just bought 2 on clearance today - Skip Hop and JuJuBe Be All)
Breast Pump (too good to pass up Medela PIS for $129 at TRU)

Bottles, Paci's (DS never took), Nursing tanks (never used w/ DS but this one is due in July), Stroller (though my MBUS is at MIL's we use a stroller ALOT so i really want something new), Infant Seat and subsequent convertible (DS is in regents). I will borrow a ton of the infant/newborn basics from a good friend (ie: Bumbo, Swing, Bouncer etc).

Have crib, need mattress.

Not sure what else?

codex57
01-04-2010, 02:35 PM
She's less than 4 months, so so far, just a blanket, a small amount of clothes (couldn't resist even tho our neighbor gave us a ton of basically brand new hand me downs), and some pacifiers. Will need a car seat eventually.

Oh, and we got a double stroller.

alexsmommy
01-04-2010, 02:38 PM
purchased:
paci's
bouncy seat (DS2 climbed in ours and broke it)
co-sleeper (had borrowed a friends before and it hasn't survived her third)
pump parts
with DS2 switched to bpa free bottles
if a girl, clothes
memory book
miracle blanket
eventually new convertable carseat (ours expiring after two kids)

borrowing:
double stroller
travel swing

probably will get:
ergo

citymama
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
I've been making a list too and it's shockingly small!

--BPA free bottles
--pump parts
--her own special blanket (my MIL may knit one)
--new swaddling blankets and burp cloths
--0-6 month onesies, socks and a few sleepers (we didn't have enough with DD)
--coming home outfit
--crib sheets - DD used hand-me-down ones that are completely in tatters now
--new carrier or two
--Ergo insert
--Sophie the giraffe (already got!)
--DD2 could probably use a few baby toys, but I assume she'll get some as gifts

We will reuse almost everything else - crib, stroller, car seat, bouncy seat, PnP, slings/Ergo, gymini - and all the girl clothes!

mecawa
01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
For DD2 we bought:

a new stroller
new breast pump
new curtains (for her room)
new exersaucer
new playgym
new mobile
new diaper bag
new baby monitors
some new clothing items (not much, both girls, bdays within a week of each other)

HIU8
01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
We got a double stroller, diaper pail, girl clothes, a new area rug (DS's projectile vomit bleached his out), a couple of pink crib sheets (DS's had holes in them), a take along swing, some new burp clothes, new carseat (we gave DS's to SAFE KIDS), sling carrier.

That is all we got basically.

eliasmom
01-04-2010, 03:28 PM
borrowed a double stroller and was given a Moby wrap

new infant carseat - Chicco KF 30
Aden & Anais blankets
lights & music mirror for car rides
some new feeding supplies
Beco baby carrier (already had the Ergo)
boy version of Trumpette socks
Sleepsack
loveys

carolinamama
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Not much at all.

Chico Keyfit since I really had no love for the Snugride 22 that we had with DS1.
Maclaren Easy Traveler for said Keyfit
New crib sheets since DS1's were shot
Cloth diapers since we didn't use cloth with DS1
Convertible carseat when we needed it
1 new nursing bra

wencit
01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
The only things I purchased new for DS2 were:

Playtex drop-in nursing system
BPA-free pumping horns
JuJuBe Packabe
coming home outfit

Everything else was reused from DS1. Even the last 2 items were semi-splurges, as I could have gotten away with using old stuff, too.

khalloc
01-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I bought boy clothes, a double all-terrain stroller, boy crib sheets, that was about it. Then once we started bottles I did buy new Dr Browns BPA-free bottles.

elephantmeg
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I upgraded some stuff with #2. A better swing (cradle swing that went both directions-loved it!!!!!!) and a bettery bouncy seat that vibrated, had soothing noises (perfect for my refluxer baby that only slept in my arms, bouncy or swing!).
I also did BPA free bottles and got #1 new carseat so DD could use his old ones when she got out of the bucket, plus pink sheets/towels/blankets, second crib, memory book, new tubing

and 2 weeks into 2 kids I got a double stroller. wow. I could not have survived outings at the beginning without it. We don't use it a ton now but it's still in the car

maestramommy
01-04-2010, 04:19 PM
For Arwyn we got (some before some after she was born)
Glass bottles
some clothes, since she was born a different season than Dora
a used Purely Yours
Ergo
a use Mac, really for Dora. Suddenly the zooper was too hard to push when carrying a baby.
a used mini cosleeper
a used bumbo

For Laurel
Dr. Browns BPA free bottles. It was the only nipple she would take, and we only had the polycarbonate bottles from before.
more cloth diapers, in smaller sizes, almost all used.
a Bebini sleep sack.

infocrazy
01-04-2010, 05:05 PM
For DS2:

a sling, never had one with DS1/didn't miss it but couldn't live without it for DS2
a travel swing, that was a waste since DS2 hated it
a Sit 'n Stand double stroller
some clothes since he was a season earlier and a little bigger than DS1
a convertible crib for DS1 since I wasn't ready to transition him at that point

I'm sure there were odds and ends here and there, but that's the big stuff.

For DD:
Nothing much yet, although Santa brought her Sophie for Xmas :)

I want to get a Moses basket, although I think the IDEA of this is probably better than the practice.

I would also like a video monitor since we never got one with the boys.

She will need clothes since she is off-season again...and a girl...but I already warned DH that everyone will think she is a boy since we will be reusing everything we can anyway.

I'm really only planning on getting the clothes before she is here, then the other stuff as needed. We have only had summer babies before so I'm sure there will be a few things we never thought of to get that she'll need.

MamaMolly
01-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I've started an Amazon Wishlist (just for myself) so that I can keep track of what I'm thinking of getting. So far:

a new stroller, I'm upgrading from the Graco at last! It was a tank but 3 years and an international move finally killed it off.

new bottle nipples. I used the Playtex drop ins last time and saved the bottles, rings and caps.

a Razzberry teether and new pacis, new paci tethers.

new car seat

Sophie the giraffe (cause I've always thought they were cute!)

Fisher Price Laugh and Learn house. DD love the one at a friend's house, so I'm going to squirrel it away for DD2's first Christmas

I'm considering upgrading my breast pump but haven't decided yet. The old one is the Avent Isis, so I'm thinking new collection bottles at the very least.