PDA

View Full Version : Just hoping I can pop in here from time to time...(long)

boolady
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
I promise this isn't one of those optimistic NY posts about weight loss. I need to lose weight. At this point, a lot of weight. Like 80 lbs., I'm mortified to say, and I'm scared to death that I won't be able to do it, so I'm hoping that since this board has been such a great source of information and encouragement for me in the past, it will be okay if I post down here with you runners and people who seem far more put together than I feel at the present moment when I need to.

I would say that I don't exactly know how things got this way, but I do. I am an emotional eater and have a job that is largely sedentary. Add that to a 40-minute each way commute and a DH who gets home pretty late many nights per week, and I have gone from being okay/borderline overweight to very overweight. Don't get me wrong...those are not excuses, I know that. I have been feeling very stressed for the last few years and, as I said, am, without question, an emotional eater. Since DD was born (and, if I'm being honest with myself, even before) I have been putting myself dead last and it can't continue to happen.

My DH is great, and says he loves me no matter what, and I am actually lucky because I believe him. He does not think he's a great looking guy (even though he is:)) and has always seen the best in people, both inside and out. That said, while he loves me the way I look now, I don't. I feel like I have been caught in this vicious cycle where I am exhausted and stressed and overeat or eat takeout to just quickly get something to eat, feel like cr*p about it later, hate the way I look, feel stressed and depressed over the way I look, and the circle goes around and around.

While DH is great and very supportive of me, he can't exactly understand how I feel because he has a very quick metabolism, is on his feet at work all day long, is an emotional non-eater, and wouldn't chose a carb over a vegetable if his life depended on it. And I don't feel like I am being the best wife or mom I can be because I feel so badly about myself, don't want to embarass DH, don't want to embarass DD, and DD is a very healthy eater and very healthy little girl. I don't want her following in my footsteps, and I want to be around to take care of her for as long as I can.

So, now that I'm crying, :) I just need a place to talk to others who have struggled with their weight from time to time, and have also maybe struggled with making taking care of themselves important. I don't have any unrealistic goals or expectations...I would love to lose a pound or two a week and just become healthier by eating correctly and not overeating, and by slowly working some moderate exercise back into my life. I am not the most active poster on BBB, but hope that you won't mind if I need to vent or ask some questions of all of you fit mamas from time to time.

egoldber
01-04-2010, 10:26 PM
:hug: It's hard to be in that spot and good for you for wanting to do something about it. IME, the hardest part is getting to that point where you've had it and are willing to do what it takes.

There are lots of ways to get there and you can do it. :)

Kymberley
01-04-2010, 10:36 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I'm right there with you. I need to lose about 50 lbs, and I've already lost more than 50 (including the birth of DS). I don't even know how I'm going to lose this weight yet. I don't even know if I'm "there" to want to lose it yet. So, you are not alone.

SnuggleBuggles
01-06-2010, 07:04 PM
That is so exciting that you are joining us here! I think it is a great thing that you are facing the issues behind it. I wish you lots of success and we'll all be here to help you. :)

Beth

mominmarch
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Jen, I feel like your post resonnated with me in so many ways. Have you by chance read "Fat Chance" which is new, written by someone named Julie I think who was on The Biggest Loser. I read it over the holidays and she also was a mother of one, putting herself last. I also fall into that pattern.

One thing that has been really helpful for me with emotional eating is a book called 'Beck's Diet Solution", and actually it is the workbook that I got. It has positive cognitive (thinking) changes to do every day. I have been doing it for the past month and while my weightloss has been slow, my frame of THINKING has changed and I have stopped emotional eating. I really think it is a great way to do things.

Best of luck to you - admitting that you want to make the change is great.

mom_hanna
01-16-2010, 02:05 PM
My MIL was in the same place as you, and she lost the weight and has kept if off for 2 years now. She used weight watchers and swears by it. She joined a group and that helped the most - keeping her on track, encouraging her, and just being surrounded by people in the same position as her. Seeing other people's progress kept her going when it got tough. And weight watchers is really a program of healthy eating for the rest of your life, not a diet, so you have a better chance of keeping the weight off. They also encourage being active, but you don't have to run a marathon or anything. She walks. Every day. And she swims a few times a week. HTH.

MamaKath
01-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I am right there with you! Big hugs, hang in there. Baby steps are okay, it doesn't have to happen overnight. I find it is hard having a large amount to loose and seeing those who do it fast (surgically, on tv, etc) makes it hard to feel that small steps are okay. Keep checking in and know you are not alone!