PDA

View Full Version : How Do Techs/Owners Feel About True Fit?

Indianamom2
01-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Just considering all my options here, but lately I have been hearing not so wonderful things about Marathons (Britax seats) performing badly in FF positions.

Given this, I'm considering some other convertible seats, but I want to be smart. I do not want to have to buy another seat anytime soon. (Yes, I realize I may have to eventually, but hopefully not for 3 years or more.)

Ds#2 is 5.5 months right now and in the 8th percentile for weight and average to slightly above average height. Big sis is tremendously tall, so there is potential for another tall kid and I'd prefer a seat with high harness slots.

The My Ride seems really narrow in the shoulder/hip area to me, and I haven't been able to find a True Fit to actually try out yet.

Anyone like/dislike that seat or have something else to recommend?

Thanks,
Christina

Joolsplus2
01-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Love it. It's the only seat I've ever seen to actually get ALL kids to the weight limit rearfacing (that is, it's SO tall in the back, that ALL kids make it to 35 pounds rearfacing in it...even if you don't want to rearface to age 3, you COULD do it, lol, anyway, it'll work to a minimum of age 2, which is a fine time to go forward facing). All the crash tests I've ever seen of it look great, it's easy to install in most cars. The only drawback is I think the crotch strap is positioned a little close to the back so very large boys may find it very uncomfortable, but my large/average 3 yo girl never had a problem, and she really liked the seat when we tested it out for a time this summer :). It should last most kids forward facing to at least age 5 (average kids to 6, huge kids to 4).
I hope this links to the right pic, here my dd2 is RF in it... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5360971949998561442
and FF http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5360971949998561442

The My Ride IS super narrow, I'm not a fan of that seat, really. The Radians are wide/tall choices, too, but can be hard to find to try out, and tend to be somewhat tricky to install (but definitely worth a try if you have a local store where you can see them). Safety 1st Complete Air is also a decent choice now that the price has come down from it's original $249 (except the fancy cover ones are $279, which seems...excessive...to me..)

caleymama
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
We have the True Fit in Monet for DD2 and she still fits great in it at age 5+. Last I measured, several months ago, she was 41"+ and about 40lbs. I purchased it after she was already FF so it was never used RF. She loves it, though, and has been happily riding in it for at least 2 years. We have 2 MAs also (and a Regent) and while she has just about outgrown the MAs (she's got a long torso), she's got more room and is more comfortable in the True Fit. It doesn't have a high base like the MA has which makes it easier now that she's bigger.

Indianamom2
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks, Jools and Liz. It's nice to hear real-life reviews. I also really appreciate the pictures.

I was all set to like the My Ride, but after putting my little bitty Ds in it, I just can't imagine that it will be super-comfy for an older, bigger kid.

Now, to find a B&M store that sells the True Fit....

jjordan
01-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Target (at least the ones I have been to) carries the Truefit in store.

SnuggleBuggles
01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
It did not fit the belt path of my Civic well at all. The Marathon installs so much easier. Until that happened I never really understood why I should try a seat in my car prior to purchase. Things just weren't lined up right.

eta- I bought through Target online since no stores near me had it. It was free shipping and I was able to return the seat when it didn't fit to the store vs paying return shipping.
Beth

new_mommy25
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I bought the True Fit for my IL's. I bought it because of the awesome adjustable harness. It was the only seat that could fit all three of her grandchildren (each a year apart) with just a simple raise or lowering of the harness. The seat has been in MIL's car for about two years and no complaint. It's very comfortable and easy to install with the built in lock off. My DS could fit into the seat at 5 1/2. I don't know if he still could but he is in a booster now anyway. The only downside is the seat is very big and heavy, but then again, so are the Britax. MIL rarely moves the seat so it hasn't been an issue. She has the seat FF in the center of a Ford Focus.

AnnieW625
01-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Target (at least the ones I have been to) carries the Truefit in store.

Target in my area carried the True Fit a year ago and they don't carry it anymore:( Same with BRUS. Darn shame as there is no way to try it. Might have to try USA Baby or another shi shi baby store up in LA.

Jools or anyone else, have you ever had any luck installing a True Fit rear facing outboard in a 98-02 Corolla (most likely passenger side)? Knowing DH he's going to want the same seats in each car for ease of use and installation, and this is one of the top choices I want for my car.

elektra
01-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Jools or anyone else, have you ever had any luck installing a True Fit rear facing outboard in a 98-02 Corolla (most likely passenger side)? Knowing DH he's going to want the same seats in each car for ease of use and installation, and this is one of the top choices I want for my car.

We have two True Fits outboard in an early 90's Camry. So maybe it would be similar to a Corolla? I did have to twist the buckle stalk a few times for one of the seats but not the other (not sure why!).
I feel like they are solid and it was a fairly easy install. The seat on side of the car that has the stalk that has to be twisted does take a bit of effort to close the lock-off.
Overall I am really happy with the install though, and the TrueFit was the perfect choice for that car since it has the lockoffs, but is less expensive than a MA.

christiedavid3
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
We LOVE our TrueFit!!!