PDA

View Full Version : Radian & True Fit - uncomfortable for boys?

lmh2402
01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
in reading through a number of threads this evening, i'm picking up that both of these seats might be considered uncomfortable for boys? particularly "larger" boys...

can anyone clarify?

i've got five car seats sitting in my bedroom right now - we're going to try installing each of them on wed with a car seat tech

i was kind of hoping & praying that either the TF (premier) or RN (XT SL) would install and fit in my car b/c it seemed like these might be the best options for my kind of bigger son

(he had his 9 month appt today and came in at 30.8 inches, 23 lbs 6 oz.)

i realize there is no way to exactly predict, but i wouldn't want to force a fit with the car seat, if it's going to end up being uncomfortable for him in a year or two

if that were going to be the case, i'd go with a more comfy seat - boulevard? - and then just figure out another option once he outgrew it

would appreciate any feedback

many thanks!

arivecchi
01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a Radian XTSL and DS2 looks like a peanut in it. I would say the Radian is one of the best for bigger boys because itis such a tall seat. DS2 is 22 pounds and 30 and 1/4 inches. He is only on the second slot (out of 5), so he has tons of room to grow.

MontrealMum
01-04-2010, 09:52 PM
We have both, and DS seems comfortable in both of them, though he hasn't ridden in the Tf often. Our RNs are the new XTSL and the crotch strap is adjustable so I'd imagine that'd make it even more comfortable, not less. My son is super tall (95-97%), but only 40-50% weightwise, so we went with these taller shelled seats.

maestramommy
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Can someone clarify for me, because we will buy a Radian this year when Laurel outgrows her infant seat. Do they come in different heights? I thought it was just one height, but now it sounds like the XTSL is taller. Does it also have the 80 lb weight limit?

I ask because our kids are so close in age it's highly unlikely Dora will be out of a booster before Laurel goes into one. We need to keep 3 across and it sounds like 3 boosters are very hard to fit in one row. I was thinking the Radian could function like a booster (except that we couldn't use it with a shoulder belt, right? ).

arivecchi
01-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Can someone clarify for me, because we will buy a Radian this year when Laurel outgrows her infant seat. Do they come in different heights? I thought it was just one height, but now it sounds like the XTSL is taller. Does it also have the 80 lb weight limit?

I ask because our kids are so close in age it's highly unlikely Dora will be out of a booster before Laurel goes into one. We need to keep 3 across and it sounds like 3 boosters are very hard to fit in one row. I was thinking the Radian could function like a booster (except that we couldn't use it with a shoulder belt, right? ). The shells are all the same height. The 65SL has a 40# RFing weight limit while the 80SL and the XTSL have a 45# RFing weight limit. I think they all have an 80 pound FFing limit.

o_mom
01-04-2010, 11:22 PM
The shells are all the same height. The 65SL has a 40# RFing weight limit while the 80SL and the XTSL have a 45# RFing weight limit. I think they all have an 80 pound FFing limit.

The 65's have a 65 lb FF limit. :)

Joolsplus2
01-05-2010, 08:32 AM
The 65's have a 65 lb FF limit. :)

Yeah, but only a 40lb RF limit (the others are 45 ;))

To the OP, the only uncomfortable thing I'd predict is large 4-5 year old boys with the crotch strap in the True Fit. The Radian has a deep crotch pan and long strap and it's not a problem that I've ever heard of (the Marathon is also a bit tight, and the Nautilus. The Roundabout 50 and Frontier have very deep crotch straps and are uncomfortable for no one, or I haven't read it so far...)

KrisM
01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
DS1 is not huge. But, he's 5.5, 42lbs and 44 inches or so. He's still comfortable in the Radian and has never complained. It's his primary seat.

clc053103
01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
DS is huge- 62 lbs, 45 1/2 inches (at 4.5) - and he was absolutely fine in the RN until he outgrew the harness! I would say it was his favorite seat. Never had issues with the crotch strap and mine was the old style RN65. However, he outgrew the MA harness many months earlier, and the Nautilus around the same time.

WatchingThemGrow
01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
DS is huge- 62 lbs, 45 1/2 inches (at 4.5) - and he was absolutely fine in the RN until he outgrew the harness! I would say it was his favorite seat. Never had issues with the crotch strap and mine was the old style RN65. However, he outgrew the MA harness many months earlier, and the Nautilus around the same time.
He outgrew the Nautilus harness at 4.5? Wow. I haven't played with ours much (in MIL's car), but I thought it was much bigger than the MA and RN65. No?

jjordan
01-05-2010, 11:21 AM
He outgrew the Nautilus harness at 4.5? Wow. I haven't played with ours much (in MIL's car), but I thought it was much bigger than the MA and RN65. No?

The nautilus harness straps go higher than the marathon straps (about 18" compared to about 17"), and the crotch strap depth is a little more in the nautilus (6.5" compared to 5.25").

FYI the Frontier crotch strap goes to 8.25". I can't find the specs for the Radian but I can measure it once I get home.

arivecchi
01-05-2010, 11:45 AM
The 65's have a 65 lb FF limit. :) Duh. :6: Where is my brain these days? At least I was right about the RFing weight limit. :)

mommylamb
01-05-2010, 12:25 PM
My DS is a pretty big 2.5 year old (95th percentile for height and 75th percentile for weight), and he is very comfortable in his radian 65.

Joolsplus2
01-05-2010, 12:57 PM
:duh::oops::o
Sorry, O-mom, read the wrong part. <remind me not to answer questions before my second cup of coffee is poured>.

jjordan
01-06-2010, 02:01 PM
The nautilus harness straps go higher than the marathon straps (about 18" compared to about 17"), and the crotch strap depth is a little more in the nautilus (6.5" compared to 5.25").

FYI the Frontier crotch strap goes to 8.25". I can't find the specs for the Radian but I can measure it once I get home.

I measured the Radian - the farthest crotch strap position is 7" out. So despite the higher harness straps in the nautilus, the radian harness may well be comfortable longer because of the extra room in the crotch area.