PDA

View Full Version : When are your school vacas?

Twoboos
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM
With all the talk of vacations, I am wondering when your school district has vacations. Obviously this doesn't include the Christmas break that just ended!

ETA: We have both February and April vacations. (But in college, it was the usual Spring Break in March.)

JBaxter
01-04-2010, 10:04 PM
we dont get a spring break .. only good friday / easter monday.

billysmommy
01-04-2010, 10:08 PM
We have a week in February and a week in April. Our April week is always the week of Patriots Day which is a holiday in Mass (and Maine I think) It's also the day the Boston Marathon is run

egoldber
01-04-2010, 10:11 PM
We only have one break, it's almost always the week before Easter.

At the end of January, they have a 4 day weekend for the end of the second grading period and a lot of people take a trip then as well. :waving4:

Gena
01-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Ours is one week. This year it is the week that straddles March and April, so I don't know which way to vote.

KrisM
01-04-2010, 10:33 PM
We get 2 days off in February and the 1st full week of April. We also get Good Friday off, so this year, it's a fairly long April break.

SnuggleBuggles
01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Dang, people have Feb. breaks? Not here. We might get one day off. Ds gets the week before Easter off but I think they may be cutting down that break to just be Thurs. and Fri. off, which is what it was like when I was a kid. I used to think that spring break was something that just existed in college!

Beth

vludmilla
01-04-2010, 11:03 PM
We have a week in February and a week in April that coincides with Easter/Passover.

pinkmomagain
01-04-2010, 11:05 PM
We have a week in February and a week in April that coincides with Easter/Passover.

Us too...the February break is always the week of President's Day.

Corie
01-04-2010, 11:17 PM
We have a week off in February called Winter Break.

We also have a week off in April called Spring Break.

I think it's totally ridiculous. I'd rather have just one week off
and get out of school a week early!

Twoboos
01-04-2010, 11:45 PM
My theory is that Feb/April vacas are mostly a New England & Tri-State area thing. (So hypothetically, if we hauled our butts to DisneyLand - instead of World - in Feb, it wouldn't be too crazy there.)

But this is just a theory based on pretty much nothing. :) But looking at the poll results, I could be onto something!

Tondi G
01-04-2010, 11:48 PM
My theory is that Feb/April vacas are mostly a New England & Tri-State area thing. (So hypothetically, if we hauled our butts to DisneyLand - instead of World - in Feb, it wouldn't be too crazy there.)

But this is just a theory based on pretty much nothing. :) But looking at the poll results, I could be onto something!

Disneyland is typically wonderful and mellow in the month of February!!!

KpbS
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM

I've never heard of this. We have never gotten President's Day off or any days in Feb. that I remember. Once in college our "spring" break was at the end of Feb. and we had Good Friday and Easter Monday (essentially just a long weekend).

Here the schools just have spring break--usu. last week of March and that's it after MLK Jr. day.

rlu
01-05-2010, 01:18 AM

Don't want to burst your bubble but my son gets a week in Feb (between the two President's Days) and a week in April (the week after the week of Easter - ie not the week of Easter). Now my sister works for the Oakland district and she only gets one week in March.

No clue what the SoCal schools do. I hope you are right about DL being quiet during President's week since that is what we hope to be doing that week.

eta: We got 2 weeks at Christmas as well. We don't get snow days, start late August and go until mid-June.

LexyLou
01-05-2010, 01:26 AM
When I lived in NJ the kids got a week in February and a week in April. Now that we're back in CA we only get the April break but (although I'm not 100% sure I'm correct here) in CA we get two weeks at Christmas while in NJ we only got one week.

mecawa
01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
We have a week in Feb (coincides with Presidents Day), and a week in April (coincides with Patriots Day/Boston Marathon).

Moneypenny
01-05-2010, 10:13 AM
We have the week after Easter off and nothing in February, although there are a couple of long weekends in January.

LD92599
01-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm in NJ and this year it's a week in Feb and the week after Easter. However last year it was 2 days in Feb and a week in April. They will also get MLK.

As a WOHM, i can do without the 2 week long breaks! Christmas Break tends to be Christmas Eve Day through and including New Years Day, returning back the first weekday after Jan 1.

schums
01-05-2010, 10:29 AM
We're in Michigan, and we get the last week off in February (sometimes goes into March, depending on how the month breaks) and Good Friday plus the week of Easter off (so either March or April, depending on the calendar). We also get MLK day plus 2 days for records days. We start (by law) the Tuesday after Labor Day, and are done this year on June 17. YUCK!!

Melbel
01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Ours is one week. This year it is the week that straddles March and April, so I don't know which way to vote.

:yeahthat: same here plus one extra day (Monday, which happens to be the day after Easter).

We also have off MLK day in January and President's day in February. We have been to WDW in Jan/Feb several times and have found it to be a great time of year crowd/temperature wise.

kristenk
01-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I had no idea that so many places had Feb./Apr. vacations. This is the first time I've heard of it. DD gets one week off in March and then a few days scattered here or there throughout the spring semester.

Zansu
01-05-2010, 03:58 PM
We get two days off at the end of February for Rodeo, and the kids are out for 1.5 weeks at Passover/Easter.

But we don't get Presidents Day off.