PDA

View Full Version : Regent, Frontier, or something else?

tmrbwilson1998
01-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi, everyone! I have lurked here often since having children, and am hoping for some help. My almost-7-yr old DS is still fitting quite well in his Britax Regent, and now that 4-yr old DD is ready to move out of her Marathon, I am trying to decide the best seat for her. Not sure if I should stick with the Regent, try the Frontier since it has more protection for the head, or if there is a new or different seat that be even safer/better for her. I have a Honda Odyssey, so size is not a problem, thankfully!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Tina

o_mom
01-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I would look at the Frontier - you can use it harnessed for the 4 yo until you are ready to move the 7 yo to a booster, then switch them. With a nine year lifespan, you should be able to make that the last harnessed seat you buy unless your Regent expires soon. There are some other options, but I have a wiggly 2yo trying to help me type. :)

tmrbwilson1998
01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks so much! My gut was telling me Frontier, so I appreciate your suggestion and expertise! One more question if you would not mind - is there a smaller seat as safe as the Britax seats out there? We need a 2nd seat for DD for DH's truck (we rarely are in it, at most once a month). My husband's Toyota Tacoma is a 4-door cab but the backseat is small and the Marathon leaves little to no leg room since it is so large.

Thank you again!!

o_mom
01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes, as long as your Regent will last through when you need it, you should be good. You may need to buy another booster later, but those are not nearly as expensive.

For the Tacoma, look into the Radian - it harnesses about a year longer than a Marathon and sits very low to the seat and narrow so it almost always gives more legroom. It can be difficult to install sometimes, so try it first if you can.

tmrbwilson1998
01-05-2010, 11:03 AM
You are an angel - THANK YOU!

mom2binsd
01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
I think Bubbaray's DH has a Tacoma so she may give you ideas if she sees this post.

Joolsplus2
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Safety 1st Go (Safeguard Go if you're searching the boards, it's just recently been made by S 1st) might also be a choice for the Tacoma. I have one of those and like it at least as well as the Radian when it comes to a tight spot in the car. It does require a top tether anchor, though.

tmrbwilson1998
01-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Thank you so much! Now that I have picked up the Frontier for her primary seat, I am having second thoughts...the Nautilus did look nice, though the padding on the Frontier seemed a bit more comfy. You can't go wrong with the Britax, I know...

Joolsplus2
01-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Nautilus is a fine seat....especially suited for petite kiddos. If you're considering it for the truck, it has an unusual rule that ALL of the carseat base must be on the vehicle seat (all other seats, only 80% of the seat needs to be on the vehicle seat), so if the front hangs off the edge of the seat at all, it's a no-go.

tmrbwilson1998
01-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks so much, Julie! I think I will stick with my first instinct (and DD's first choice after sitting in several seats) and take my Frontier out. Now I just feel guilty that DS is in his Regent with no head wings of any sort, lol. I would love to buy several carseats and have options :)