PDA

View Full Version : I bought a HUGE container of sour cream

Melaine
01-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Thinking it was cottage cheese.:banghead:

Please someone tell me how I can use it all up. And now I will have to go to the 3rd grocery store of the day to get the cottage cheese I forgot! Argh....

SnuggleBuggles
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Chicken Paprikash is delicious! I haven't tried this recipe but you can use it as a starting point:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-Paprikash-with-Sour-Cream-237284

Another idea is cheesecake. Some recipes call for sour cream and cream cheese.

Dip. :)

Beef stroganoff would work.

Beth

srhs
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I :love-retry: sour cream....it all started when I learned I could eat most dorm food if dipped in sour cream.

I use significant portions in egg casserole, hashbrown casserole, and cheesy chicken "enchiladas".
Also great topping for tortilla soup, chili, omelettes, nachos, taco salad, perogies, potatoes...

Melaine
01-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Thank you guys! I forgot that sour creme is sometimes in cheesecake. I just remembered banana pudding, too. That chicken looks good and I could always double the SC.

srhs, can you point me in the direction of an egg casserole recipe like you are talking about? or share your actual recipe? Thank you!!!

PS I love sour cream as well and DDs do too. DH doesn't but will eat it in recipes. This is a 48oz container though! I hope it stays good for a long time....

Fairy
01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Thinking it was cottage cheese.:banghead:

Please someone tell me how I can use it all up. And now I will have to go to the 3rd grocery store of the day to get the cottage cheese I forgot! Argh....

One word. Cheesecake. All you need is 4 bricks of cheap-ass cream cheese, and you're golden.

Beat 4 bricks cream cheese and 1C Sugar
Add 1C sour cream
Add 3 Tbls flour
Add 4 eggs one at a time until blended (important to do it one at a time)
Add 2 tsps vanilla
Don't even think about doing any of this by hand.
Pour into crust
Bake at 325 for 1 hour 5 minutes at a minimum, I generally go 1 hour 20 minutes. When center isn't jiggly, it's done
The top will split, not a big deal, at least you know it's done. Underdone cheesecake is BAD.

Crust -->
Beat 1 sleeve of graham crackers (inside a FREEZER ziplock bag) to hell and gone with a meat hammer or anything that can be labeled a "blunt force trauma" object.
Mix with 2 tbl suger and 2tbl brown sugar
Add 3 Tbls of melted butter
Mush it all together with a potato masher or even your hands till it's moist; wet bad, moist good.
Bake for 10 minutes at 325
Put aside till batter is ready

Chill a couple hours when done

EAT

Melaine
01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Alrighty I guess cheesecake it is. Anyone have an easy recipe? My easy recipe doesn't include sour cream.....

srhs
01-05-2010, 04:08 PM
srhs, can you point me in the direction of an egg casserole recipe like you are talking about? or share your actual recipe? Thank you!!!

oops, it's only 1 cup...you could use more though!
My recipe is a version of this (http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/quick-easy-egg-casserole-66050.aspx) to give credit to KraftFoods.

Sausage & Egg Breakfast Casserole
Prep Time: 15 min Total Time: 55 min Makes: 8 servings

Ingredients
6 slices white bread, with crusts torn off
2 lb. sausage, cooked, drained, crumbled (can do much less sausage per your taste)
2 ½ cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
7 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper

Directions
PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
Lightly GREASE* 13x9-inch baking pan or oven-proof casserole.
LINE* bottom of pan with bread; sprinkle with sausage and cheese.
BEAT* eggs, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper in medium bowl with wire whisk. Pour over bread mixture in pan.
BAKE 40-45 min. or until mixture is set in center and lightly browned. (Could take less or longer; I use a meat thermometer to be sure it’s the right temperature--160.)

*can do these steps the night before, cover, refrigerate, and bake in the morning

Fairy
01-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Alrighty I guess cheesecake it is. Anyone have an easy recipe? My easy recipe doesn't include sour cream.....

We probably cross-posted :-). My recipe above is seriously easy breezy. I'm telling you, if *I* can do it, anyone can. Don't make me show you burned latkes, bad cookies, and scorched pots to prove it!

Melaine
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
We probably cross-posted :-). My recipe above is seriously easy breezy. I'm telling you, if *I* can do it, anyone can. Don't make me show you burned latkes, bad cookies, and scorched pots to prove it!

Thanks!!!! I particularly appreciate your "don't even think about doing this by hand"....:hysterical:

Fairy
01-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks!!!! I particularly appreciate your "don't even think about doing this by hand"....:hysterical:

Ooh, one more thing -- you need a springform cake pan. You probably kinow this, but in case you don't, you can get one at Bed & Bath or probably cheaper online.

neeleymartin
just eat it with a spoon like yogurt...:innocent:

this could be the reason that i am at the maximum capacity of my pants right now.

Fairy
This egg recipe looks awesome! Trying it this weekend!

DietCokeLover
01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Here are some ideas:

Bake a couple of sour cream pound cakes and put in the freezer for taking to church/ friends houses/ entertaining

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

Chicken casserole (I have a good easy recipe if you need it)

lizzywednesday
01-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Chicken Paprikash is delicious! I haven't tried this recipe but you can use it as a starting point:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-Paprikash-with-Sour-Cream-237284

That recipe's complicated.

Try my mom's:

YOGURT CHICKEN PAPRIKASH

1 fryer chicken, cut-up
2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2-3 tsp paprika
1 Cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
Cooked egg noodles

Melt butter in large saucepan. Saute chicken til deep golden and crispy. Add onions and cook til soft. Add paprika, stirring, one minute. add broth, simmer 25-30 min, covered. Mix cornstarch with water til smooth. Stir into yogurt. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Stir yogurt mixture into pan liquid. bring to a boil, cook til thickened, stirring occassionally. Skim off fat as it pools on sauce. (or make ahead, refrigerate, and remove congealed fat). Add back chicken. Serve over egg noodles.

(You could always replace 1 Tbsp of the butter w/olive oil or go all olive oil. I've done it with all olive oil with good results. Also, you can use bone-in chicken thighs with similar results if you don't have the patience to cut up a fryer chicken)

hellokitty
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Lol, I could send my cousin over. When he was a kid, he used to eat sour cream straight, as if it were ice cream. I guess all of that dairy must have done something, he's over 6 ft tall!

pinkmomagain
01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
My dad got me hooked on fresh peaches and sour cream sprinkled with sugar. Yum! Whenever I eat it though, dh makes a disgusted face. To each his own......

marie
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
just eat it with a spoon like yogurt...:innocent:

this could be the reason that i am at the maximum capacity of my pants right now.

I recently rediscovered my love for sour cream. Not a good thing. . .

As to the OP - muffins. Make a big batch and freeze the extras.

Twoboos
01-06-2010, 02:18 PM
You could make cream cheese pie - delish!!! I found this recipe online but it's very similar to the one I make. Except I discovered using a Chocolate or Oreo crust makes it sooooooo good! And I refrigerate at least 3 hrs, do not serve hot.

Ingredients

2 packages softened cream cheese
1 9 inch prepared graham cracker crust (*I use Choc or Oreo crust.)
2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
2 tblsp white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
-In the bowl of the electric mixer, combine together the cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla extract, eggs and 1 cup sugar and mix them at a low speed.
-When the mixture smoothens, stop beating and pour it into graham cracker crust.
-Now bake the pie in an oven for 35 minutes at 350 degree F and then remove it from the oven.
-Blend sour cream, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tblsp sugar in a small bowl and spread over the pie gently.
-Now raise the temperature of the oven to 450 degree F and bake for another 5 minutes.
-Serve the pie hot. (*I refrigerate and serve cold.)

oneplustwo
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
How about sour cream waffles? They are so, so good. I use the Joy of Cooking recipe.

And one of our favorite muffin recipes that would use up a cup of sour cream:
Strawberry sour cream muffins
Boston Globe/NYT Makes 12
These rich, substantial muffins make good use of your less aesthetically pleasing strawberries.

BATTER
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups chopped fresh strawberries ( 1/2 -inch pieces)
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 12 indentations with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

3. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined.Blend in the sour cream and vanilla.
4. With the mixer on its lowest speed, stir in the flour mixture just until combined. The batter will be thick. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. Gently fold in the berries.
5. Divide the batter among the muffin cups; it's fine if the batter rises above the cups. Bake the muffins for 14 minutes. Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn them out, right side up, onto a wire rack. Make the topping.

TOPPING
Grated rind of 1 orange [I usually leave this out]
1/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1. In a bowl, rub the orange rind into the sugar with your fingers. Transfer the sugar mixture to a small plate.
2. Dip each muffin top into the melted butter, then roll it in the sugar. Eat warm.

DietCokeLover
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Update us - what did you do with it?

alexmommy
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I use lots of sour cream in my mashed potatoes.

I don't measure anything, but use the following ingredients:

boiled potatoes (skins on or off as you prefer)
a generous serving spoonful of butter/margarine
several generous serving spoonfuls of sour cream
salt (a fair bit--to taste)
onion powder to taste
garlic powder to taste
dried dill to taste

Mash the potatoes, then stir in the butter & sour cream while the potatoes are still hot/warm. Then add salt/onion powder/garlic powder/dill to taste.

Generally it comes our very creamy. My DH doesn't even eat it with gravy--says it has plenty of flavor on its own. Everyone whose had my potatoes really likes them. Of course, if you are on a diet, well, you may want to run a mile afterwards... Even my DH's dad, who is mostly raw vegan, liked them and had 3 helpings...

boolady
01-07-2010, 01:49 PM

Beth, Thank you for posting this. I'm on a slow cooker kick right now, and this looks great. Since I WOH, this is one of my strategies for having a decent, homemade dinner on the table for all of us soon after we get home in the evenings.

Melaine
01-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks everyone! So far I spooned some out and pawned it off on a friend and made a Poppyseed cake (used 1 cup of SC and I had all of the ingredients already). I haven't gone shopping (since I went to THREE grocery stores the other day) but I'm totally going to some of these over the weekend! Some yummy ideas.

Tondi G
01-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Pick up a container of strawberries and some brown sugar while you are at the store. Just dip in SC then in the brown sugar and eat.... YUM! Your kids will love it! Easy dessert!

neeleymartin
01-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Pick up a container of strawberries and some brown sugar while you are at the store. Just dip in SC then in the brown sugar and eat.... YUM! Your kids will love it! Easy dessert!

i was just about to post this. it is so yummy!!! you can't believe how good it tastes until you try it. this is the app that i bring/share when entertaining. always entirely eaten. YUM, YUM, YUM!!!

lizzywednesday
01-08-2010, 01:43 PM
i was just about to post this. it is so yummy!!! you can't believe how good it tastes until you try it. this is the app that i bring/share when entertaining. always entirely eaten. YUM, YUM, YUM!!!

Nah, I can believe it.

But I am a sour cream freak and *will* eat it like yogurt with a spoon.

(I have also been known to dip jalapenos into sour cream while eating nachos. DH is disgusted by this, but I like them that way.)