PDA

View Full Version : My Scenera didn't come with a cover!

wencit
01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I recently purchased a Cosco Scenera from Amazon.com, anticipating having to fly with the car seat and liking the cheapy plastic cover with the handle -- very convenient for traveling. Well, color me surprised when UPS knocked on my door this morning, and a gigantic BOX was sitting on my front porch! I opened the box, hoping against hope that the car seat inside was packed in the clear plastic cover, but nope, it's just the plain ol' Scenera. No convenient carrying case for me! :thumbsdown:

I bought this car seat because its ease of use for traveling, and now I have to lug this seat around the airport, sans carrying case? Ugh! To make matters worse, we need to bring our gigantic Marathon on board the plane because the Safe Rider Travel Vest I ordered isn't going to arrive on time, due to the New Year's holiday. So what should I do? I could purchase another Scenera at Walmart and return the Amazon one, but I hate the thought of paying return shipping on the gigantic box. I thought about calling Dorel and asking them to send me just the plastic bag, but we leave for Boston on Sunday, and I'm sure it wouldn't get to me on time. DS2 is going to be a lap baby (please, no flames), and we were planning to gate check the Scenera. I'm guessing the only choice available is to have DH carry the Scenera through the airport and gate check it in the airline's bag?

Oh, what a headache!

jjordan
01-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I have heard that only the ones sold at b&m stores come with the plastic bag.

Any chance one of your mommy friends has one and could let you use the bag?

Sorry it is not working out so well for you!

FWIW, I have had lap babies before and almost every time there has been an extra seat on the flight, which means that I've been allowed to take my carseat on board and use it for my child. That alone is a good reason to gatecheck a seat - but gatechecking also decreases the chances that your seat will be damaged in transit, or that it will not arrive at your destination when you do.

If I were you I'd bring two strollers, strap one carseat onto each stroller, and use the strollers to transport the rest of your carryon baggage. Bring a sling or carrier for the baby and have the toddler walk. We've done that before (with two marathon-sized seats) and it's not really so bad.

Katigre
01-05-2010, 04:59 PM
We traveled with and gate-checked a Scenara sans bag last month and it was fine - didn't get dirty or anything. It's just as easy to carry it through the airport holding the harness as the handle on the vinyl bag IMO.

arivecchi
01-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I have heard that only the ones sold at b&m stores come with the plastic bag. :yeahthat: Same thing happened to me. I returned the one I got online and got one at Target with the cover.

wencit
01-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I had no idea I had to purchase at a B&M store to get the cover! Good to know!

I ended up calling Dorel, and they are going to mail me a cover, free of charge. :thumbsup: Yay! It probably won't get here in time for our trip, but we'll just make do this time.

ZeeBaby
01-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I had no idea I had to purchase at a B&M store to get the cover! Good to know!

I ended up calling Dorel, and they are going to mail me a cover, free of charge. :thumbsup: Yay! It probably won't get here in time for our trip, but we'll just make do this time.

Great info! Thanks so much. I brought one to use this summer from Overstock and it didn't come with a case either, but I am going to call them right now to see if they will send me a case. Thanks so much!

mom2binsd
01-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I thought from your title that it came without an actual cover, that would have really been terrible....then I realized your meant the carry/travel bag..I've carried the Scenera without any type of bag and the harnesses also work fine.

OKKiddo
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I recently purchased a Cosco Scenera from Amazon.com, anticipating having to fly with the car seat and liking the cheapy plastic cover with the handle -- very convenient for traveling. Well, color me surprised when UPS knocked on my door this morning, and a gigantic BOX was sitting on my front porch! I opened the box, hoping against hope that the car seat inside was packed in the clear plastic cover, but nope, it's just the plain ol' Scenera. No convenient carrying case for me! :thumbsdown:

I bought this car seat because its ease of use for traveling, and now I have to lug this seat around the airport, sans carrying case? Ugh! To make matters worse, we need to bring our gigantic Marathon on board the plane because the Safe Rider Travel Vest I ordered isn't going to arrive on time, due to the New Year's holiday. So what should I do? I could purchase another Scenera at Walmart and return the Amazon one, but I hate the thought of paying return shipping on the gigantic box. I thought about calling Dorel and asking them to send me just the plastic bag, but we leave for Boston on Sunday, and I'm sure it wouldn't get to me on time. DS2 is going to be a lap baby (please, no flames), and we were planning to gate check the Scenera. I'm guessing the only choice available is to have DH carry the Scenera through the airport and gate check it in the airline's bag?

Oh, what a headache!

Ok, I know this is going to sound awful, so think of me what you will: I would buy the one from Wal-Mart, take the plastic cover and return the car seat (tell them it ripped or got lost, they really won't care). I know...bad of me!

mnosky1
01-05-2010, 11:13 PM
We checked Marathons a few times in a big contractors bag (like garbage bag but heavier) - not gate check, just regular luggage check. They were in perfect shape. DD thought my plan to buy a car seat bag was ridiculous so I relented and now wouldn't bother with a carry bag. I do have that plastic bag for the scenera (it's in our babysitter's car) and other than the handle, I think the contractor bag would actually be better for checking it.

niccig
01-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Are you taking a stroller??? If yes, you can put the scenera on the stroller and use a bungee cord through the forward facing belt path to attach it to the stroller. DS rides strapped into his car seat. Easiest way I found to get car seat through an airport. DS got too old to use the stroller, but we still used it in the airport, also meant we could dodge the long security line as we had to take the elevator up to security. Over the holidays we were traveling without the stroller as DS is 5, and we moaned and complained about the security lines...I wonder if I can still stuff him into the stroller for the next trip.

wencit
01-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Yes, we're taking a stroller (P3), but the Marathon is supposed to go in there. Too bad the RSTV isn't going to arrive on time, otherwise the situation you described would have been perfect. For this particular trip, we'll just have to carry the Scenera by the harness as other posters have suggested.

And jjordan, thanks for the tip about the empty seats! I switched our seating arrangements around so that we're no longer 3 in a row, but rather 2 in one row and 1 in the row behind us, so hopefully we'll be able to have an empty seat for the Scenera. The flights don't look full at all yet, so I've got my fingers crossed. I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-06-2010, 03:38 PM
book the aisle and window and maybe the middle will stay open. Sometimes if you call the airline and tell them you have a lap baby they will put a hold on the middle seat. Make sure he is added to your reservation.

duckiechiu
02-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Great info! Thanks so much. I brought one to use this summer from Overstock and it didn't come with a case either, but I am going to call them right now to see if they will send me a case. Thanks so much!

i just ordered one from Overstock..... did you call to get a case and if so did they send you one? thanks

ZeeBaby
02-16-2010, 11:31 PM
i just ordered one from Overstock..... did you call to get a case and if so did they send you one? thanks

I contacted Dorel and they sent me out a case right away.

duckiechiu
02-17-2010, 09:47 AM
thanks a lot. i will do that. :bouncy:

codex57
02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
What airlines are you going on?

I know at least United has clear bags at baggage check in for free. I use them as stroller bags, but it would work as a car seat bag in a pinch too. Contractor bags work too, but they're black and not see through. Not a huge deal, but I like to make my life as easy as possible when traveling with kids.

duckiechiu
02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
i'm going on jetblue in march.... this would be the first time i'm traveling with the kid on my own.... thanks for your input... i will definitely look into the free bags at the airport (dont want the car seat to get dirty)