PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Romina dropside crib?

SanFranMom
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM
http://www.rominakidsfurniture.com/solidwood-cribs-beds/alberto-crib-b.jpg

I was about to order the beautiful Romina Violini Alberto drop-side crib when the store (Lullaby Lane) informed me that the CPSC sent out an email this weekend asking retailers not to show drop-side cribs because of their dangers. I was told I could order a stationery version of the crib or send in a letter stating that I explicitly chose to get a drop-side crib.

I am not sure what to do. From what I've read, the problem is with low-quality drop-side mechanisms, and Romina is unanimously considered to be very high quality. I am ~5'4", so a drop-side crib seems convenient. On the other hand, I don't want to flout safety standards, and I know some people expect the CPSC to entirely ban drop-side cribs, which would affect the resale value and/or the peace of mind of subsequent owners.

My husband and I are the type of people who trust our own judgment and don't defer to experts unless we believe their pronouncements are backed up by data. On the other hand, maybe the CPSC and Consumer Reports know more than we do here. Any advice?

Thank you.

SnuggleBuggles
01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
All I can tell you is that I am 5'2", thought the drop side was a must have feature 7 years ago but I really could have done without it. I don't use it.

I think you make an excellent point about the resale of the crib if they are all eventually recalled- which I expect them to be.

I'd go with a stationary one. YOu can always buy a little step stool if it becomes necessary.

Beth

Andi98989
01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
I am 5'4" and have not had any issues using our stationary crib. I have a friend who is 5' and has a drop side crib. The only time she's used that feature of it is when the mattress has been at its lowest point AND her LO has been sick and it was more convenient to get to her to give meds that way. Otherwise, she hasn't used it.

Something that just came to me - you can't really use the drop side if you're holding LO, right? So you'd only be using it when wanting to get LO out of the crib, and at that point they will likely be able to sit/stand if you've dropped the mattress, so that would make it easier to get them out without dropping the side. Of course, I could be wrong on that, but it's something that I just thought of.

arivecchi
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Do they have a similar stationary one? As PP have said, a drop side is not really necessary.

jent
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I too thought the dropside was a necessity (I'm 5'0") but it has really turned out not to be. My biggest use for it is that it does make it a little easier to get to the mattress to change the sheets, but it's not really a big deal.

Our dropside hasn't been recalled, so we're still using it, but I think DD will transition to a bed soon.

SanFranMom
01-05-2010, 11:28 PM
I assumed I'd keep the dropside low while the baby was tiny, but we'll also have a co-sleeper and cradle. It sounds from y'all as though dropsides aren't as valuable as I thought. Thanks for informing this not-yet mother.

SanFranMom
01-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Do they have a similar stationary one?

The store said that Romina could make a stationary one, which is now what I'm leaning to.

SnuggleBuggles
01-05-2010, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't leave the side down, that would make me too nervous! But, I think the reason I did ok without using my drop side is because my crib had different mattress height settings. When they are little and getting up more, the mattress is really high and easy to reach. You put it down lower as they start to sit up and stand up. By that time they are waking up less at night (usually :)) so you just don't need the drop down as much. Plus, they can stand or sit which makes them easier to reach.

Beth

AnnieW625
01-06-2010, 02:32 PM
We have a drop side crib and I didn't use it much either. I am 5'6" and have a bad back so I honestly thought I would've used it more than we did.