PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my beef stew...

alien_host
01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
so I'm trying this recipe that I found with a search. I got a crock pot for Xmas but haven't had a chance to figure it out so I'm just doing it on the stove. It seems really watery, perhaps I put too much in. Anyway it has 30 minutes left to simmer. Will it cook down some more or will I need to thicken it later? It seems more like a soup right now.

Thanks!

This is my mom's recipe, so it's really all I know, but DH loves it too.

Beef Stew

Top round (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
1 cup flour
dash of salt and pepper
oil
1/2 onion chopped
small can of tomato sauce
carrots and potatoes (4 of each cut uniformly)
peas (about 2 cups)

1. Mix flour, salt, and pepper in a ziploc bag. Add meat and shake. Remove meat and discard flour mixture.
2. Brown meat in oil
3. When meat is 1/2 done, add onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
4. Add tomato sauce and veggies
5. Fill pot with water to cover veggies
6. Cook one hour on medium stirring regularly
7. Add peas for last 5 minutes of cooking time

**Use a large, tall pot for this recipe. I use the same one I make spaghetti
in.

I haven't made this in the crockpot, but you could easily do steps 1-3, then switch to the crockpot. I'd put it on low all day.

Serve with French bread

happymom
01-05-2010, 06:48 PM
It will probably cook down if you leave the pot uncovered.

daisymommy
01-06-2010, 11:10 AM
This is probably too late to help you this time, but what I always do (I make mine in the crockpot by the way)--is at the very end of the cooking time, I take about 3-4 heaping TB. of flour, and add maybe 1/4 c. water in a glass measuring cup/bowl, stir together real well until smooth and like a thick gravy. Then slowly pour that into your hot stew and stir well at the same time (so it doesn't clump up). Let simmer for another 15 minutes on the stove or on High in your crockpot. This will thicken it up nicely!

DrSally
01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Sounds very good. How did it turn out? Did you get it to thicken?

alien_host
01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
It will probably cook down if you leave the pot uncovered.

Funny, I thought about that after posting this. I did have it covered most of the time (I was thinking the crockpot is covered so....).

This is probably too late to help you this time, but what I always do (I make mine in the crockpot by the way)--is at the very end of the cooking time, I take about 3-4 heaping TB. of flour, and add maybe 1/4 c. water in a glass measuring cup/bowl, stir together real well until smooth and like a thick gravy. Then slowly pour that into your hot stew and stir well at the same time (so it doesn't clump up). Let simmer for another 15 minutes on the stove or on High in your crockpot. This will thicken it up nicely!

I ended up doing this on my own and it did help. Thanks!

Sounds very good. How did it turn out? Did you get it to thicken?

After simmering it some more with the top off and adding some flour like daisymommy suggested it did thicken, although it was still a little thin. I was afraid to put in too much flour and that it would taste like paste.

I'd make it again, maybe adding less liquid next time since I think it was higher than the veggies/meat to begin with.

ohiomom1121
01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
A little late, but I have heard people use instant mashed potatoes to thicken up soups and stews. Never tried it but seems like it would work without giving you that paste taste that too much flour can!?