PDA

View Full Version : Underwire bras and clogged milk ducts?

TwoBees
01-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Has this been a problem for anyone, especially those with larger (D+) breasts? I was told to avoid underwire nursing bras, but that's what I can get my hands on most quickly right now (medela) and I need a new bra stat.

mommylamb
01-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I"m a DD and I had to start wearing underwire again when I went back to work when DS was 3 months old. I just couldn't wear those awful nursing bras with suits. I continued to breastfeed until he was 1 year, which meant pumping at work. I never got clogged ducts or any other problems.

maylips
01-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm in a 34F right now and all of my bras are underwire. I wouldn't subject these heavy puppies to any soft cup or I'd be scooping them off my belly button (even the underwire isn't helping much, I'm afraid).

I've had one clogged duct in the 5 months I've nursed DS and never had a clogged duct nursing DD for one year. Just make sure you get the right size and you're fine.

choopi
01-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I am a D cup and kept getting clogged ducts because I was wearing an underwire bra on the days I went to work. I think I look a million times better in an underwire! I decided that I couldn't deal with the clogged ducts anymore, so I switched to a soft cup nursing bra a couple of months ago and haven't had any problems since! I'm a little saggy looking now, but at least I'm pain free :)

pharmjenn
01-06-2010, 04:33 AM
I wore underwire the entire time I nursed with no problems. I am very uncomfortable in a soft cup. I think it really depends on the person. Try to find a bra that fits well, I really liked the ones from Motherhood that were similar to the Victoria Secret ones I usually wear (no longer make them, so I am wearing them to the ground)

boltfam
01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I am also a D while nursing and I wore the underwire ones from Motherhood. I had a plugged duct once, but that was it. For the others of you that wore underwires, can you recommend a good one? My Motherhood ones are looking pretty ratty.

viba424
01-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Its going to be quite the adjustment for me because underwire is all Ive worn since I can remember! I just hate the way I look in anything else.

ncat
01-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I wore/wear underwire nursing bras. I could not find a comfortable soft cup bra for nursing or otherwise, except the Bravado which I wore primarily for sleep. I had one round of plugged ducts with DD - more likely due to the baby Bjorn than the underwire - nursed to 17 months. No problems with DS - still nursing at 13 months.

WhiteIris
01-09-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm expecting baby #2 in April and right now, with 3 more months to go, I'm a 38 E/F. Phew! Last time I made do with Bravados and soft cup Medelas. Not this time! I can't stand the lack of support and the uniboob effect. I'll definitely be going with underwires, at least for going out of the house in. I really think that if you're very careful to get the right fit and that all of the breast tissue is contained (but not compressed tightly) inside the cup, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Andi98989
01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Pre-pregnancy I was a 32G and now I'm a 34J; I have only ever worn underwire bras, but my current nursing bra is a non-underwire bra. I really like it and it gives TONS of support - as much or more than my underwire Medela bra did.

http://breakoutbras.stores.yahoo.net/czosonubraby.html

robinsmommy
01-14-2010, 10:47 AM
In 6 years of nursing, I had clogged ducts once or maybe twice. My friend, who nursed each of her babies a year (and man, I respect her for hanging in there that long) had clogged ducts all the time.

You can also see if you have a lactation consultant to ask about things but I would guess the underwires might also contribute to it. Are you wearing a bra at night as well? If so, what kind?

I LOVED my Anita bras. Spendy, but worth it to me - they also make a bra with a light foam lining that might give more support than a non-underwire. They do make underwires, but I find them tricky to use for nursing bras, since my size fluctuated from month to month and day to day. Too hard to fit.

boltfam
01-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Pre-pregnancy I was a 32G and now I'm a 34J; I have only ever worn underwire bras, but my current nursing bra is a non-underwire bra. I really like it and it gives TONS of support - as much or more than my underwire Medela bra did.

http://breakoutbras.stores.yahoo.net/czosonubraby.html

That looks super supportive! I can imagine it would give more support than an underwire!