PDA

View Full Version : DS-not milk allergic but vomits when he has too much dairy?

veronica
01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
should I guess it's lactose intolerance?

Rewind to when he was born: hated to nurse, always cried and seemed in pain. After a bunch of things did not work, he was diagnosed with reflux and started alimentum and prevacid-worked wonders and he was amazing.

When we transitioned from formula to milk, it was horrible. He was 15 months and would not drink milk (any form or variety, etc.). He even through up a few times, so we had him tested for allergies to soy and milk (we had to test DD for peanuts at the time so just took them both in). No allergies for DS were found. We had limited success with drinkable yogurt. So, he's 2.5 years now and still hates milk. He has a Danimals Drinkable yogurt in the a.m and p.m (4 oz. each) and he can eat cheese, etc.

BUT-he is still on prevacid. When we have tried to stop it, he vomits within 48 hrs of lowering the dose! Ped. said it's ok to stay on it. Lately, he has had some "vomit" episodes and we thought it was cold/flu/virus season but now I'm thinking it only happens when he has more than usual cheese or yogurt products! the other night, he slept horrible and cried a ton (no fever or other symtoms) and he had had an extra yogurt that day.

Anyone BTDT? Can you even test for intolerance???

thanks to anyone who read this far and can share any light on this!

Corie
01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm going to guess and say maybe lactose intolerance or a milk sensitivity.

My daughter is like this. She is NOT allergic. But if she drinks a milk
for dinner and then has more dairy (like ice cream) then she feels reallly
sick. Her allergist said it was too much dairy for her system to handle.
But not an allergy.

BabyMine
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
A hydrogen (http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/hydrogen-breath-test) breath test or a stool (http://www.medicinenet.com/stool_acidity_test/article.htm) acidity test can test for lactose intolerance.

Melbel
01-06-2010, 01:58 PM
No help but some BTDT. DD2 is another reflux baby. We are still on max dose of Zegerid at 19 months with no end in sight. We have found that with her 2 stomach viruses, we have had to eliminate dairy altogether to get rid of the diarrhea/vomiting symptoms (2 stomach bugs both of which lasted a full month). She has vomited other times when she has had more dairy than normal. Her allergy testing at about 12 months was negative. We are giving her a cow milk based formula watered down in lieu of cow's milk because she is still not eating solids reliably well. I am hoping others have some helpful advice!

HIU8
01-06-2010, 02:07 PM
This is DD. She is not allergic to milk. However, she cannot drink a glass of milk or lactose reduce milk without throwing up or having diahrea. She can have milk products such as cheese, ice cream, yogurt, mac n cheese etc... she does not get sick from those. She also cannot drink soy milk, but can eat soy products. She currently drinks rice milk. She has never been tested, but both DH and I are lactose intolerant DH more so than me (in that he has to avoid all dairy products b/c the gastro reaction is really bad). The ped is stumped, but DD has been tested for food allergies (due to other things that have happened) and she is sensitive to tomatoes, milk and was sensitive to strawberries. She is growing out of the tomatoe sensitivity as well. The milk one may stick around.

veronica
01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Well, looks like we're not alone.

How do you all handle it?-just curb exposure to the trigger foods? I just feel bad for DS since he does enjoy eating cheese but on days when he has cheese and crackers or cheese pitas, I have to cut all else out which, at times, can be hard to do. I will ask the ped about testing to be sure this is definitely an intolerance. But, we are pretty certain it's what it is.

The lingering reflux issues seem to help trigger it too! He usually won't vomit until he is asleep for the night . He's a stomach sleeper so I think that exacerbates the nausea he might get from a "too much dairy day" and boom-he gets up a couple of hours after going to bed and vomits!

HIU8
01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't really have to cut foods if DD has something with milk during the day. Her real issues are a straight glass of milk.

DS was a reflux baby and was classified as having a milk allergy. He would projectile vomit every single time he ate. He was on prevacid (that I had to mix) 2x a day for 11 months. He was also on alimentum (mixed with rice cereal and had to sit up 30 minutes after each bottle). At a year we switched him to soy milk as whole milk also made him vomit. At age 2 he switched to cow's milk and has never had a problem since. I didn't think you could grow out of a milk allergy, but I guess you can. DS is 5 and has no dairy issues.

codex57
01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
How much does he drink?

DS goes through periodic puking episodes. He's not lactose intolerant. Least, not yet.

We noticed a period of time where he just puked up everything, including milk.

Also, recently, he started puking a lot again (I'm talking Exorcist type vomit). We cut it down some by not giving him as much at one time (I guess he likes to drink til it's up to his esophagus or something cuz we don't drink that amount in one sitting). And, we don't let him lie down for an hour after he drinks. And, we're extra careful about him not pressing down too hard on his belly in that hour.

Of course, if he's sick with a cough, it's gonna come up regardless. We cosleep so we now have a barf bucket on hand with us.

MamaMolly
01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Have you considered FPIES? It is different than an anaphylaxis type of reaction. I have no idea if this is what is going on but it is what popped into my head. HTH

http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/fpies.htm

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=99

veronica
01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Have you considered FPIES? It is different than an anaphylaxis type of reaction. I have no idea if this is what is going on but it is what popped into my head. HTH

http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/fpies.htm

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=99

OMG, these links describe so much of what DS has gone through , since birth. Thank you so much! i have never heard of FPIES and the links are truly an eye opener! Even his issues as an infant fit the descriptions almost exactly and the fact that he does have very delayed vomitting. Usually, those days, he appears lethargic during meals but we attribute it to being "cranky" and such! I plan on definitely looking into this further and discussing soon with our Dr. I really can't thank you enough and hope that the issues do resolve at some point, as suggested by the links.

I am so glad I finally got around to asking the question on here! I kept forgetting since the last episode......