PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Made a trip to the ER! Ugh the dreaded stomach virus!

wendibird22
01-06-2010, 02:25 PM
There's a stomach bug going around our area and apparently DD1 has caught it. DH woke her up to get her ready for daycare this morning only to discover her bedding and her pjs and hair COVERED in dried vomit. Blach! I jump out of bed (I was hoping to catch another hour of sleep cause I had been up several times with the baby) and we run a bath for her only to discover her diaper is full of yucky poop. I felt sooooo bad for her and felt really bad that we had no idea she vomited during the night. I tried to explain to her that she could call out to me or daddy if that happened. Lord knows how long she been that way. We still use a monitor in her room and I never heard a thing. No cry, no puking sounds. Nothing. Of course, I'm sleep deprived so it is possible I slept through it and DH, well he could sleep through a tornado. Not that cleaning her up at 3am would have been fun, but I felt so horrible that she just went back to sleep.

I did end up taking her to the doc because she had been sick last week with a cold and swollen glands and on an abx so I wanted to be sure this wasn't pneumonia or something and wanted to know what the baby was being exposed to since DD1 can't keep her germy hands off her little sister. Of course this was my first outing along, in the cold and snow, with a baby and a toddler. What a circus. And we had to stop at the store for pedialyte and that was a circus too. Just managing who to get in/out of the car first, putting the baby and DD1 in a big enough shopping cart, navigating that through a snowy parking lot, I'm sure I looked like a total novice!

THANKFULLY, we haven't had any repeat episodes of vomit but she's been super duper clingy which is so hard to manage while trying to nurse a 3wk old going through a growth spurt. Oh, and I have a very clingy 50lb lap dog. At one point I had all 3 "kids" fighting over my lap.

Pass me a foo foo drink and a twisty straw!

UPDATE: Well, DD1 faired pretty well and while miserable all Wednesday, no more vomit or diarhea. Then, I came down with it on Thursday and was soooo bad that by noon time DH was packing up me, DD1, and the baby for a trip to the ER for fluids. I spent 7 hrs in the germ infested ER with a newborn. The nurse kept telling DH that he should take the baby somewhere else because of the germs. We kept telling her that we are BF and that baby needs to be near the food source. We even suggested that they move me to L&D but they looked at us like we were crazy. We spent 3hrs in the waiting room just for a bed (the ER was crazy busy) and spent another 4 in a private ER cubical. I ended up with 4 bags of fluids. Amazingly I felt a million times better the next day. So far DH and the baby are healthy as can be. Hoping it stays that way.

So, yeah, I think I need another twisty straw!

maestramommy
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Arwyn seems to be having a recurring stomach bug. A few days after Christmas I went in to get her, only to discover she had puked in the middle of the night (in multiple places) and gone back to sleep. How she managed to sleep through this I don't know. I'm up multiple times with Laurel too, and I never heard a thing. Now in the last couple of days she's been having diarrhea. After hosing down 2 toxic diapers I am completely traumatized and she is in a sposie. No one else is getting sick so I can only assume she's picked up it somewhere and with all that thumb sucking I'm not surprised.

Hope your DD gets over it soon! :hug:

jgenie
01-06-2010, 03:16 PM
wendibird22 & maestramommy

I hope both of your girls feel better soon.

elephantmeg
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
aww. hugs to you both! That's aweful!

nrp
01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Both my kids and DH have had it this week. In fact, on Saturday night we were out of town with my BIL, SIL and two nephews, and another friend and his 13-yo son. Of the ten of us, eight have come down with it - only me and one nephew have escaped (so far). The only bright spot for us is that it passed relatively quickly - no more vomitting/diarrhea after 48 hours and now just some residual crankiness.

wendibird22
01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Posted an update.

jgenie
01-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Oh no!!! Sorry to hear you had to go to the ER. Glad you felt better the next day and hope you continue to feel better.