PDA

View Full Version : Does your Preschool require toothbrushing after a meal?

alien_host
01-06-2010, 04:00 PM
DD's preschool said due to a certification they have they are now required that students who eat a meal at school brush their teeth at school. We were asked to send in a toothbrush and toothpaste. After speaking with her teacher, I know they aren't thrilled with having to do this. She is there 9-2 the kids in her class that stay for lunch are between 4 and 5 years old.

This seems like a nightmare for the teachers...trying to get all 15 kids to brush (there is one small bathroom/sink). Making sure the kids don't share brushes and use their own. Keeping track of whose brush/paste is whose.

The germ factor really is making me think "ick". I imagine some kids might drop their brush on the floor etc. How will the teachers ensure the brushes are kept clean and sanitary?

Any thoughts to this? I personally would rather not have my DC brush their teeth at school and just do it at home. I don't really see the harm in not having my child brush after lunch. I have to admit, right or wrong, I am lucky if I get her to brush AM and PM, nevermind in the middle of the day.

So I'm interesting in hearing what other schools might do if they are required to brush. How it's handled etc.

Would you just send the brush and hope for the best or would you "protest" in any way or suggest an alternative?

TIA!

JBaxter
01-06-2010, 04:02 PM
No and I have never heard of one that does. How do the keep the toothbrush seperated? My son has to have special toothpaste ( no dyes) plus all those kids spitting in the same sink...EEEWWWW

And I was dental hygienist!

vludmilla
01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
My DD's NAEYC certified preschool/daycare requires the children to brush their teeth after lunch. There are 14 kids in the classroom (3 year olds) and two teachers and sometimes a part time helper. The teachers do not seem to mind at all and I've been there when they do it; it is so routinized that it doesn't seem to be a problem. I also really trust the teachers so I don't worry about germs or poor supervision during the brushing.

Melaine
01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Ugh that is disgusting. Think about how the spit will sling around with all those slobbering kids, not to mention the germs getting on the sink, how LOs always have to touch the sink all over since they are short and will put the toothbrush down on the sink or drop it on the floor.
I would prefer they work on cutting the sugar out of school lunches all together than require brushing in the middle of the day. And I would feel better about that, personally. Not sure if I would protest or what I would do, but I know I wouldn't like it.

egoldber
01-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Um, no. And our school is NAEYC certified.

vludmilla
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
No and I have never heard of one that does. How do the keep the toothbrush seperated? My son has to have special toothpaste ( no dyes) plus all those kids spitting in the same sink...EEEWWWW

And I was dental hygienist!

They keep the toothbrushes separated in a large toothbrush holder with room for about 25 toothbrushes (they only have 14 students in the class). The toothbrushes are all labeled with the child's name and even at three, the kids all recognize their own names correctly. I don't think they pick up the wrong toothbrush. Because of the roomy toothbrush holder, I don't think the bristles touch each other.

Ceepa
01-06-2010, 04:14 PM
We had that here. Toothbrushes in a large holder so they were very separated. Children brushed one or two at a time. They each had their own toothpaste dispensed by the teachers. There was nothing gross about it and it reinforced good dental hygiene, which for some kids in class was probably the most attention given to that aspect of their lives.

alien_host
01-06-2010, 04:16 PM
They keep the toothbrushes separated in a large toothbrush holder with room for about 25 toothbrushes (they only have 14 students in the class). The toothbrushes are all labeled with the child's name and even at three, the kids all recognize their own names correctly. I don't think they pick up the wrong toothbrush. Because of the roomy toothbrush holder, I don't they the bristles touch eachother.

So does each child have their own tube of toothpaste? Because the thought of the class sharing a tube REALLY grosses me out! Each germy brush touching the tube. Ick Ick Ick. We have been asked to send in toothpaste too but that's one more thing to manage.

And where do they keep this holder? Out in the open? Covered?

The reason I ask is since this is new to this classroom I don't think they have thought through how to manage it. The classroom is also used by an afterschool program in the afternoons so I wouldn't want the brushes out in the open (could be mistakingly used by other kids or used for other things like cleaning etc).

vludmilla
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
So does each child have their own tube of toothpaste? Because the thought of the class sharing a tube REALLY grosses me out! Each germy brush touching the tube. Ick Ick Ick. We have been asked to send in toothpaste too but that's one more thing to manage.

And where do they keep this holder? Out in the open? Covered?

The reason I ask is since this is new to this classroom I don't think they have thought through how to manage it. The classroom is also used by an afterschool program in the afternoons so I wouldn't want the brushes out in the open (could be mistakingly used by other kids or used for other things like cleaning etc).

It is not covered. I suppose the kids could get into the toothbushes but the classroom is so well managed, I just can't imagine it really happens. They can choose to have their own toothpaste or use the communal one. I don't think there is much in the way of germ sharing. They are very focused on cleanliness and the kids watch their hands all the time. The toys are cleaned all the time. The bathroom is cleaned at the end of every day. They throw out toothbrushes after illness...

almostmom
01-06-2010, 04:38 PM
yup, we just started this at DS's extended care for kindergarten. Not sure why DD's school doesn't have to do it.

He has to bring in his toothbrush and toothpaste every day. I have it in a ziplock, and the toothbrush has a cover on it. On the one hand, it's great that he will be brushing twice every day (we are so bad about getting it done in the morning), but it seems like a huge pain and germy.

But my biggest question is, how did out legislators have time to pass a rule like this, or whoever did it, when there are so many more important issues out there? Maybe I'm being short-sighted - I'm sure it's good for kids who aren't good about brushing. But it seems a little over the top to me.

alien_host
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
They throw out toothbrushes after illness...

Good idea that I will suggest....

vludmilla
01-06-2010, 04:46 PM
For what it's worth, below is the NAEYC guidance regarding toothbrushing. I don't know if the certification that your program received was NAEYC, perhaps it was something else.
I'm also not sure how to read the standard, are meals breakfast and lunch or snack and lunch? Anyway, if it is the NAEYC standard that they are applying, note that they aren't required to use toothpaste so you could ask them to skip that step with your DC.
Hope this is helpful.

5.A.16
At least once daily in a program where children older than one year receive two or more meals, teaching staff provide an opportunity for tooth brushing and gum cleaning to remove food and plaque. (The use of toothpaste is not required.)

sewarsh
01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
that sounds really bizarre to me. our preschool does not do that and they are NAEYC certified as well.

alien_host
01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
yup, we just started this at DS's extended care for kindergarten. Not sure why DD's school doesn't have to do it.

He has to bring in his toothbrush and toothpaste every day. I have it in a ziplock, and the toothbrush has a cover on it. On the one hand, it's great that he will be brushing twice every day (we are so bad about getting it done in the morning), but it seems like a huge pain and germy.

But my biggest question is, how did out legislators have time to pass a rule like this, or whoever did it, when there are so many more important issues out there? Maybe I'm being short-sighted - I'm sure it's good for kids who aren't good about brushing. But it seems a little over the top to me.

I hear you on who the heck thought of this one! Why not regulate snacks more instead like a PP mentioned? Don't allow cupcakes for birthdays and that should help with the tooth decay ;)

I was thinking that maybe it's a better policy to have each child back their brush/paste in their lunch box. That way it's not hanging around at school. I can also then replace it when it starts looking icky.

hollybloom24
01-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Yes, we started January 1 for those children staying for lunch (extended day). Our school is NAEYC certified and it is a requirement for re-accredidation, which our school is up for this year.

Our school holds the toothbrushes (each is labelled with the child's name) in a big toothbrush holder, and toothpaste is put out on a paper plate (a blob for each child) from a master tube (that no brush or child touches). Each child then gets their own brush from the holder and a teacher helps them get the toothpaste blob onto their brush. I just had to send the kids to school with a tooth brush. No toothpaste.

If your school is NAEYC certified and not brushing teeth yet it will probably change when your school is up for reaccredidation.

Additionally in Massachusetts our govenor is very big on dental health for children, so in MA I would guess other schools will start this practice soon too.

alien_host
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Our school is licensed through The Department of Early Education and Care in Mass.

I found this on the website:

(d) Educators must assist children in brushing their teeth whenever they are in care for more than four hours or whenever they consume a meal while in care.
(e) Children must use individual, labeled toothbrushes which must be stored in a safe and sanitary manner open to the air without touching each other.

According to this the brushes must be out in the open, which is a concern since the room is used by other groups in the late afternoon....

egoldber
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Interesting. I'm not sure when they are up for re-accreditation.

maestramommy
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
No, I've never heard of this, but then my kid leaves before lunchtime.

KpbS
01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
No and I have never heard of one that does.

same here...

niccig
01-06-2010, 06:00 PM
DS has this in pre-K. It's at a private school and his teacher was a dental hygienist before becoming a teacher. She gives each child a toothbrush and a small tube of toothpaste, and they get a new toothbrush every few months. Everything is labeled and stored in a way that nothing touches. 2-3 kids go into the bathroom at a time after lunch. The teachers seem to manage it just fine.

DS has learned about dental hygiene from her class. He knows how long to brush and how. And one night when we were home late, I said we could skip brushing his teeth, and he said no or he'll get a cavity. Other parents who have gone through this class said that the lessons on dental hygiene stayed with their child.

If it helps him to brush and to floss - something I'm bad about, I'm all for it - as long as it is done properly.

hollybloom24
01-06-2010, 06:02 PM
I spoke to one of our teachers today and was told the policy is more to help kids that might not be brushing their teeth at home, rather than just having a bunch of kids with clean teeth after lunch.

baileygirl
01-06-2010, 06:02 PM
DS1's daycare did this starting with the 2 year-old class. I am pretty certain they didn't use toothpaste and the toothbrushes were stored high, with their names on them and with no way for them to touch. I thought it was a good thing, since the kids could see their friends brushing their teeth. For what it is worth, ds (now 3) loves to brush his teeth.

jenmcadams
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
My DD's NAEYC certified preschool/daycare requires the children to brush their teeth after lunch. There are 14 kids in the classroom (3 year olds) and two teachers and sometimes a part time helper. The teachers do not seem to mind at all and I've been there when they do it; it is so routinized that it doesn't seem to be a problem. I also really trust the teachers so I don't worry about germs or poor supervision during the brushing.

My DS's current preschool doesn't require it (9-1 includes lunch brought from home), but his old daycare/preschool (full day program) did brush teeth after lunch before naps (not after snacks though). The center provided toothpaste and we provided the brush and they had a big rack where each kids brush went. They had four sinks in the room.

mecawa
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Ours didn't, but it's because yours must have NAEYC certification. Some of the public schools (like the one my mom teaches at) now require kids to do it too, in order to have NAEYC they have to. It's like the new trend.

Snow mom
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
They start brushing teeth after lunch in the 12-18 mo room at DDs daycare. Parents supply a toothbrush and they use one tube of toothpaste at a time to simplify things. You can opt out of toothpaste (which we did.) Toothbrushes are kept upright in a large holder on a high shelf. I think brushing at school is a good idea overall. To me it's amazing what kids will do at daycare that they won't do at home. For example, the teacher just says "it's time to wash our hands!" and the whole class of 12-18 mos lines up at the sink. I haven't been there for tooth brushing but I imagine it goes the same way.

SnuggleBuggles
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
No, but I wish they would. They were great about having them do hands. I think that promoting good dental hygiene would be fabulous. Ds used to take his toothbrush to school and brush after lunch.

Beth

jacksmomtobe
01-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Our preschool is starting this too! It is something new that is required I believe to be accredited (I'm on the Board at the school but was late to the last meeting when the Director was talking about it). The gist I got was that the people in policy, Pediatricians, etc where very keen about this idea however those in charge of instituting it were not so. DD does not have to brush her teeth there yet as her class doesn't stay for lunch until the Spring however the Transitional Kindergarten has just started. I'm not 100% sure of how it has been implemented however I like the idea of having separate toothpaste on a plate. I do know that one of the Mom's whose child has many food allergies was addressing some concerns/thoughts wth the Directory. By the way we are in MA.