PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide...Jeep Liberty Limited Urban Terrain

taralynn819
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Would anybody recommend the Jeep Liberty Limited Urban Terrain Stroller? ...or is it to cheapy?

We have a Honda Pilot so I'm almost sure I could handle the bulkiness, the trade-off being the versatility. I want something easy to maneuver and smooth so Baby doesn't wake up with every bump.

Of course I would *love* to purchase a more expensive all-terrain stroller like many of you rave about. I'll keep scouring Craigslist for a deal on one but in the meantime I'm really considering the Jeep Liberty.

*Actually, I'm debating between the Jeep and the 2009 Peg Perego Si. I know they are vastly different stroller types, but I just can't decide! The Jeep is almost $80 cheaper (according to the best online deals I've seen for both) so that makes me want to sway the Jeep route. But I do love the features (and lighter frame) of the Si. Decisions, decisions...

If I go for the Jeep I will probably get a stroller base for the first 6 months. If I get the Si I will most likely forgo the base (since it's more expensive) and just attach the seat with the straps.

Yet I am open to other suggestions in the $250 and below price range. I'm so glad I found this site!!!

arivecchi
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I'd get this BJCC. Much better than the Jeep!

http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger-city-classic-single-stroller-in-red-black.html

AnnieW625
01-06-2010, 06:37 PM
We looked at it in the store and are soo happy we went with the Baby Bargains recommendation of the Dreamer Design jogger. Unfortunately Dreamer Designs no longer exists. I would look at the Baby Jogger City Classic, Tike Tech, or even the Joovy 360 for an under $300 stroller. The BJ City Classic is being discontinued, but people really love it. The next step up in price would be a Bob Ironman, Bob Revolution (the Bobs can actually be jogged/ran with), Baby Jogger Summit (can also be jogged with), Mountain Buggy Urban Single, Baby Jogger City Elite, Valco Trimode, and Easy Walker (this might be under $300, but I can't remember the exact price)

arivecchi
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
I've bought some cheapo strollers and it is just not worth it IMO. That Albee Baby BJCC is such a great deal I would be all over it if I did not already have 3 strollers! :ROTFLMAO:

taralynn819
01-06-2010, 07:32 PM
The Baby Jogger City Classic sounds right up my ally! The deciding factor will be if it will hold a Snugride car seat. Is that what this description means: "Patented universal accessory mounting bracket – accessorize your stroller with ease."?

I *need* a car seat attachment capability, unless I get a much less expensive stroller so I have money leftover to purchase a Snugride base.

clc053103
01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
I had it, gave it away, and got a BJCC single! It will last longer (higher seating area, construction quality) and also, that Liberty is VERY tippy, I had it tip over and slightly uneven curbing.

It does have a mounting bracket for a snugride (but you have to purchase separately)!

lhafer
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
The Baby Jogger City Classic sounds right up my ally! The deciding factor will be if it will hold a Snugride car seat. Is that what this description means: "Patented universal accessory mounting bracket – accessorize your stroller with ease."?

I *need* a car seat attachment capability, unless I get a much less expensive stroller so I have money leftover to purchase a Snugride base.

Yes the Classic holds the Snugrides (both original and the 32/35 models). The car seat attachment bar has to be purchased separately, and it runs ~$60. I have never seen these on sale. There are several deals on the 2009 version of the Classic, due to it being discontinued. I just purchased one a couple of months ago for $218 (no shipping, no tax) on Amazon (black and stone). Not sure what deals are out right now though.

Looks like albeebaby.com has them for $219, but are out of stock right now. I would watch that one!!

taralynn819
01-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Sounds like it might be worth it to wait on the Classic and get a Snugride base until 6 months and *then* get the Classic. That way I wouldn't need to buy the car seat attachment (which is $10 more expensive than the base itself).

If I do wait, however, I'm guessing I won't find the Allbabee deal for $119. I'm due beginning of April so the baby would outgrow the car seat/base around October. But who knows, maybe there will be an even better deal by then!

Does this sound like a wise move? Or should I grab this deal now??

taralynn819
01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Oops, I mean $219. I wish!!!

WatchingThemGrow
01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
You don't need to put the carseat in the stroller. It isn't recommended and it is actually better for the baby to be flat in the stroller.

newg
01-06-2010, 09:56 PM

I'm a little confused....(possibly because my blood sugar is low..but I'm fixing that as I type....)..........anyways........

.........a snugride "base" stays in the car and its what the carseat snaps into when you put it into the car.......unless you use a seatbelt to strap the carseat in.........right?????

so why does it matter if you have a base for the stroller?
Yes, a carseat attachment is usually neccessary to snap the carseat into the stroller..........but there are some people who just place the carseat in the stroller with it fully reclined.

Dr C
01-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm gonna assume when you said "base" you meant the stroller frame that you can snap the snugride into and stroll into the mall, etc. Since these frames are outgrown when the kid outgrows the carseat they pop up fairly often on craigslist... or maybe do you have a friend you can borrow one from? It's only really useful for a few months. Then you can splurge on the BJCC! (Phenomenal deal, btw!)

arivecchi
01-06-2010, 10:10 PM
You don't need to put the carseat in the stroller. It isn't recommended and it is actually better for the baby to be flat in the stroller.:yeahthat: Just put the baby right on the fully reclined seat to avoid flat head and so the baby is more comfy and has room to move.

This stinks! The stroller was available earlier when I posted the link! I would watch it on Amazon.

newg
01-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm gonna assume when you said "base" you meant the stroller frame that you can snap the snugride into and stroll into the mall, etc. Since these frames are outgrown when the kid outgrows the carseat they pop up fairly often on craigslist... or maybe do you have a friend you can borrow one from? It's only really useful for a few months. Then you can splurge on the BJCC! (Phenomenal deal, btw!)

so are we talking a snap 'n' go here??

if that's the case, I'd skip it unless you can borrow one or get one cheap on craigslist...........
You'll get your money's worth out of a good stroller.

taralynn819
01-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, sorry. I do mean stroller frame. Thanks for all the tips! You don't realize how much there is to think about until you start to....think about it! :)

arivecchi
01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
http://www.babytimeshopper.com/store.php/TheBabyStore/pd245827/_City_Classic_Single_Stroller_RedBlack_by_Baby_Jog ger

I would call diapers.com and ask them to price match this store.

arivecchi
01-07-2010, 01:37 PM
http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger-city-elite-single-stroller-in-black-black.html

and try to use code 15OFF

AnnieW625
01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
FWIW we never had a stroller frame for DD as I thought it was kind of stupid and unneeded since I already had a regular stroller with a ful recline. I didn't miss it at all. Our carseat was strictly for the car, quick trips in and out of the store, and to and from daycare. I still would've been lost with out the infant seat, but as long as you have a stroller with a full recline you won't need an adaptor bar.

jacksmoma
01-07-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't know...i have a car seat adaptor for my bj city mini single and i've only put my 8 month old in the actual stroller seat a few time....she gets fussy in it, probally due to the seat that is better for toddlers but i LOVE having her face me in her car seat and she loves how it cradles her as opposed to the stroller seat being so big/unsupportive but she is pretty needy! i love being able to see my baby and i can't when she's in the stroller seat. for me with two under two being able to just pop her in the sroller and me deal with a toddler has been much easier...i don't keep her in the car seat for long periods though.

PRmommy
01-07-2010, 10:10 PM
oops - missed the second page of this thread. :)

I also recommend skipping the frame.

lareigna
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger-city-elite-single-stroller-in-black-black.html

and try to use code 15OFF

It works! - $229.49

arivecchi
01-08-2010, 12:45 PM
It works! - $229.49 :cheerleader1: OP, I would jump on this deal. It won't last.

z-force
01-08-2010, 12:50 PM
I'd encourage you to check out the Si in the stores. I have the Peg Perego Pliko Light. I think the Si is an improved and lighter version of my stroller, which was discontinued shortly after. I loved my stroller, but just wished it was a tad lighter, so I'd recommend the Si to anyone. It's a beautiful stroller and very functional.

Looks wise, it seems pretty much identical to the Pliko Light. My stroller was great with my newborn and a Peg car seat. My 3.5 yo is extremely comfortable in it as the seat is wide, high, and plush. He could ride in this thing until he's 6. I almost want to sit in it.

I love going grocery shopping with it. I can store tons of groceries in the basket and hang a ton off the handles without tipping. I can shove my down winter coat, my toddler's down coat, a ton of library books in the basket and more. It's a really smooth ride. I took it on walks around my neighborhood. I've had it since '06.

Just FYI, from my experiences, bumps are not necessarily a bad thing. I purposely use my stroller over the bumpy parts of the sidewalk b/c it lulls my kids to sleep. :>

You should think about what you'll be using your stroller for the most. My girlfriend has the Jeep Liberty Limited Urban Terrain. She regrets buying it a bit b/c it's heavy getting in and out of the trunk, but is fairly content and didn't get another stroller (and she likes to shop!). Her son definitely likes sitting in it though. My son sat in it and really dug the steering wheel and refused to get out, but I think it's too heavy unless you plan on using it a lot in the grass.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from what actual Si owners thought, too.

jacksmoma
01-08-2010, 01:28 PM
i had the si and sold it- it was too loose for me- the handles, and reminded me too much of my old peg p3 that i did not like at all. i think i have been spoiled by my baby jogger city min though :) i feel like peg perego charges a lot for the name and you don't get the best made strollers...just mo, i am a huge baby jogger fan as you all know!

taralynn819
01-08-2010, 09:56 PM
The Baby Jogger City Elite that was linked to above is actually $269.99, where do you see it for $229? Also, might Albee Baby get more of the BJ City Classic in stock for the $219 price? I guess I don't know how that site works.

My cousin's wife also suggested the BOB Revolution, but that one is way out of our budget for now! But she said she has already logged 1,000 miles on it. Her baby was born in September!!

How different is the Baby Jogger City Mini? Is that something I could also consider? What could be some downsides to the Mini, other than maybe less storage space? I'm also assuming you can't put a car seat in the Mini, though that's not a deal breaker by any means.

I live in kind of a weird place. By that I mean it's not really a suburb or the country. We moved just south of Clarksburg, WV in May so on top of not knowing the area super well yet, I do know that this area isn't great for parks and trails and stuff. (And while I like the area ok, this really sucks.) I grew up in a neighborhood with four parks within walking distance (not to mention a chain of lakes all with bustling trails just a couple miles away), so this is a huge transition for me.

Our house is in a single street development that turns right onto a busy, dangerous road, so I'm definitely not going to be walking outside my house with the stroller (though I wish I could!). The only real "trail" is a 1-mile circle that borders a curvy river, and it is rough gravel. And too bad it's still a 20 minute drive away! It's either that or the track at the local high school! (Can you tell I'm frustrated?)

So honestly, I have no idea where we are even going to take our walks! :(

That said, I am leaning more towards an all-terrain stroller. But if we can't even take outdoor leisurely walks because of where we live, maybe I should instead go for the Peg Perego Si and walk laps at the mall - ha!

bubbaray
01-08-2010, 10:08 PM
What you describe really needs an AIR TIRE all terrain stroller. Lots of strollers are moving away from the air tires b/c for some reason, people have issues with putting air in them periodically. Frankly, its NOT a big deal at all and no solid or foam tire is going to push as nice as an air tire on gravel.

I love the Bob Revolution. REI periodically has it on 20% off. The BJs are nice, but having owned both brands I can tell you that I sent my BJCSD back to BJ TWICE and ultimately sold the final (third) one unused b/c I was fed up. We have had our BOB longer and have had zero issues with it.

I also loved the MBUS, but its out of your price range probably. I think it could have been my only. Having said that, there were at least 2 recalls on it and we got it around the same time as the BOB -- again, the BOB has had zero problems and gets super heavy use.

The BJ Mini is not an air tire stroller. It is nice for what it is, but I wouldn't even consider it for the terrain you describe.

I think you might get a fair bit of walking on that 1 mile circle you describe. It sounds short, but in the early months I never really wanted to be too far away from either home or my car anyway, so I often did loop walks of that distance or a bit longer.

GL!

MrsMcGwire
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
The Baby Jogger City Elite that was linked to above is actually $269.99, where do you see it for $229? Also, might Albee Baby get more of the BJ City Classic in stock for the $219 price? I guess I don't know how that site works.

There is a 15% coupon code 15off.

taralynn819
01-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Hey guys, thank you for ALL your insight! I just scored a *steal* of a deal on an almost new Peg Perego Si, so I think we're going to go with that for now. I was so very torn, but I just could not pass up such a good bargain!

I am still totally drooling over that Baby Jogger City Classic, so we'll see how often we take Baby on rougher terrain and keep scouting around for a good price. I'm most likely going to get a Mei Tai for hikes and long walks anyway, so we'll try these things out first before splurging on a good jogger. Maybe by then the Bob Revolution will have come down, who knows?? :)

Thanks again!

taralynn819
01-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Question - does anyone know where I can get Peg Perego car seat adapter straps from a source cheaper than the actual company? Didn't see anything on Amazon...

AnnieW625
01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Great deal! I don't know about getting any Peg accessories and I think you are wise to wait on your jogger, but I would also think about putting one on a gift registry. Who knows maybe you'll get enough gift cards or enough people will want to go in and get you the jogger.

z-force
01-11-2010, 06:24 PM
You will always enjoy using a lightweight stroller and will use that almost daily. No need to rush on the jogger. I got a great jogger for $60 at a garage sale. I didn't really need it and regret spending even that much money on it b/c it takes up space in the garage - plus all the wasted energy looking at joggers on-line.

GraceH
01-12-2010, 12:20 AM
If the Si is beyond your budget, have you looked at the Graco Mosaic (it's about $100)?

ETA -- I see you did order the Si... my understanding from many site descriptions was that the straps were included with the Si...