PDA

View Full Version : Complicated (to me) question...

gatsbyjc
01-06-2010, 08:40 PM
So we are trying to plan ahead and minimize purchases. Right now we have a 4 month old and a LARGE 3yr old--very tall and 40#. In size 5 clothing, easily. Our current set up is:

Jeep 1999 grand cherokee with snugride(22) in center and marathon FF outboard. No latch available and tether anchors only in the center seat.

Pontiac G6 with snugride 22 center and safeguard go outboard, both installed with latch. After some manual reading, I think this configuration doesn't work--with two seat I think they must both be outboard using latch or you can have a SINGLE seat in the center. Not sure why-there are 6 anchors (so three sets).

Now we need a once-a-week seat in a 2door 1999 cavalier for the 3year old, but just for the next 3 months.

My dilemma is that I'd like the seat we buy now for the cavalier to have some use for one of the kids when we stop needing 3 cars. I'm just not sure how many carseat purchases are necessary, I think 2, right? What makes the most sense?

Joolsplus2
01-06-2010, 08:54 PM
First, let's touch on the set up you have. I know people tend to go on about how the baby should be in the middle, but for optimal safety, the older child should be in the middle, especially if it's the only place with a top tether. The safest way to place kids is 'The most protected child in the least protected spot', which means when possible, the rearfacing (by far the most protected due to the nature of crash forces) child goes outboard and the forward facing child goes in the center. Not that this is always practical (um, my toddler would have put my infant in mortal peril, they both had to be outboard for the wee one's safety...), but it's the ideal, though it's contrary to the usual advice.
Yeah, the G6 seems to have weird rules... "2nd row center and driver's side: overlapping lower anchors, only two of three LATCH positions can be used at the same time, two child restraints may not be connected to one lower anchor" is what the official LATCH manual says (It's a publication from saferidenews.com, they speak with the top engineers to try to translate these instructions for all cars). But, um, it all seems as clear as mud to ME, maybe the manual is actually better? If in doubt, just use the seatbelt to install one and the LATCH to install the other.

I think you'd get plenty of use out of a Graco Nautilus for the Cav now and for a long time later, or possibly another convertible that would give you a little more flexibility of either kid being able to use it for some time, like the First Years True Fit or Sunshine Kids Radian.
:)

o_mom
01-06-2010, 09:36 PM
...Yeah, the G6 seems to have weird rules... "2nd row center and driver's side: overlapping lower anchors, only two of three LATCH positions can be used at the same time, two child restraints may not be connected to one lower anchor" is what the official LATCH manual says (It's a publication from saferidenews.com, they speak with the top engineers to try to translate these instructions for all cars). But, um, it all seems as clear as mud to ME, maybe the manual is actually better? If in doubt, just use the seatbelt to install one and the LATCH to install the other.

I think you'd get plenty of use out of a Graco Nautilus for the Cav now and for a long time later, or possibly another convertible that would give you a little more flexibility of either kid being able to use it for some time, like the First Years True Fit or Sunshine Kids Radian.
:)

Going by what you wrote here, I would translate the LA situation like this:

D___CD___CP___P

So you cannot use the Driver and Center at the same time, but could use the driver and passenger or center and passenger?

Ahh... here's a PDF of the manual (http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/owners-manual/pontiac/2006-Pontiac-G6.pdf) from 2006. Yep, you can use both outboard or passenger+center:

"You cannot secure three child restraints using the
LATCH anchors in the rear seat at the same time, but
you can install two of them. If you want to do this, install
one LATCH child restraint in the passenger-side
position, and install the other one either in the
driver’s-side position or in the center position. Refer to
the following illustration to learn which anchors to use.
A. Passenger’s Side Rear Seat Lower Anchors
B. Center Rear Seat Lower Anchors
C. Driver’s Side Rear Seat Lower Anchors
Make sure to attach the child restraint at the proper
anchor location."

I can't get the picture to copy, but it's page 53 of the PDF (page 1-47) in the manual.

You also may want to double check the tether anchor situation in the GC. looks like 99 was the year they switched over to allowing anchors outboard . 98 and prior was the center only, so it may have been carried over slightly into 99, but just want to make sure you are using a designated TA since many times cargo tie downs, etc. can look like the tether anchors :).

If you don't already have another convertible seat, I would look at those for the 3 yo now and in 3 months the baby will be just about out of the Snugride and you will already have a seat. Though, you may also need another seat for the 3 yo anyway at that point (I lost count) so I think any of those that Julie mentioned would work.

Joolsplus2
01-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks, O-mom, you're the best! (at reading manuals, anyway ;))

KrisM
01-07-2010, 09:32 AM
I knew what the confusing manual meant, as my Malibu has the same confusing stuff in it. Overlapping anchors and limits to which seats can LATCH, etc. I avoid it by using belts for everything :).

gatsbyjc
01-07-2010, 08:26 PM
thanks so much! I think I'll look at the true fit (premerie, maybe?) vs decathlon/marathon OR a nautilus. If I get one of these now for the cavalier, then I could get the 2nd later. Either should work for the 3yr old, right?

Are there any good sales on any of those three seats right now? That would probably tip me over the edge in one direction..