PDA

View Full Version : recommend a juicer?

lmh2402
01-06-2010, 11:25 PM
we want to get a juicer, and while would rather invest in a good one rather than spending "some" money on a product that doesn't work all that well, i think we don't need to spend LOTS

i was looking at this one:
Breville Juice Fountain Elite 800JEXL

but DH wants this:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku6926174/?pkey=celtbjcjce

this seems a little excessive to me, unless it picks the fruit itself and has some sort of yummy concoction waiting for me when i wake up each morning.

happymom
01-06-2010, 11:31 PM
I don;t know if this helps you, but my coworker just bought one at Costco and has been raving about it every day!! I don't know anything about it except that it cost $90.

ged
01-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Someone was recommending a Green Star juicer to me. It's $$$.

viba424
01-07-2010, 09:35 AM
We have the Breville too. Its fantastic and I love it. Its so substantial and pretty to look at. We like it because its well made, easy to clean and powerful.

hellokitty
01-07-2010, 03:54 PM
My mom and all of her friends have vitamix blenders. They love them. I was starting to think it was some kind of cult. She made a fruit smoothie for us during Christmas and it was actually pretty good. I like how it has a stirring rod at the top of it to help get all the chunks down to the bottom of the blade. I was amazed with the power of it. Don't know how much they cost, but she got hers at costco.

neeter
01-07-2010, 05:06 PM
my mom has a juicer, and then got a vitamix. she loved it at first, but then ended up returning the vitamix. the vitamix has more of a smoothie consistency and not a juice consistency. they preferred drinking juice. anyway, just something else to consider.

neeter
01-07-2010, 05:07 PM
anyone with a juicer have tips on owning one? how do prep all the veggies and fruits and stuff? and then handle the clean up? i feel like it would be pretty time consuming (though i imagine the juice would be really yummy!)

MamaKath
01-07-2010, 10:34 PM
anyone with a juicer have tips on owning one? how do prep all the veggies and fruits and stuff? and then handle the clean up? i feel like it would be pretty time consuming (though i imagine the juice would be really yummy!)
I owned one for years. I always cleaned the fruit, cut it into smaller pieces and then threw it in. Worked great with stuff like carrots, then when you get a bit, you have to clean out the pulp. It was good for harder fruits and veggies, softer fruits and veggies have to have the pulp cleaned more often. A lot of work and a lot of unused fruits/veggies for the $$$.

I got a Vitamix last year. I was not sold, because I prefer juice to smoothies for the most part. Then I realized I could add more water to my "recipes" and let it go longer to get the consistency I wanted. I LOVE it!!! My juicer went to goodwill, my vitamix now lives on my countertop and I feel like I am doing something good for me without killing my food budget.