PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had their home air quality tested?

wolverine2
01-07-2010, 11:12 AM
My parents were just here for the holidays, and my mom got bronchitis while she was here- for the third year in a row (and last year it developed into pneumonia). Coincidentally, this is how long we have been in this house. MIL also got bronchitis while she was here last winter. We're beginning to wonder if this isn't just coincidence, and if we should find out if there's something about our house that is causing it. We who live here all the time don't notice any irritation though, and we're not sick any more than our old house. could it just be that she's not used to the germs from another state? Should we do some kind of testing? How much does that tend to cost?

Thanks,

WatchingThemGrow
01-07-2010, 12:21 PM
oooh, that's interesting. I should. We live in an old house, and 2 of my DC have bronchitis-like infections. I'm certain the air quality in our house has something to do with the diaper genie and its contents.

srhs
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
No BTDT, but I too am interested. We DID do a Radon test when I preg and were very surprised that we had high levels. DH kept telling me we couldn't have a problem because our basement has tons of windows and lousy insulation. Sure enough, we had to have a mitigation unit installed.

HIU8
01-07-2010, 01:55 PM
We have never had our air quality tested, but b/c of my allergies we did install one of those air ionizers on our furnace. You could tell the difference almost immediately. It also cut down on the amount of dust that collects over time on the furniture (yes, we still have dust, but it's not the huge amount that it was before we install the thing). I know it has helped my allergies immensly (my allergies are indoor-dust mites, mold etc...).

smiles33
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
We have never had our air quality tested, but b/c of my allergies we did install one of those air ionizers on our furnace. You could tell the difference almost immediately. It also cut down on the amount of dust that collects over time on the furniture (yes, we still have dust, but it's not the huge amount that it was before we install the thing). I know it has helped my allergies immensly (my allergies are indoor-dust mites, mold etc...).

Sorry to go OT, but I've never heard of an air ionizer and have TERRIBLE allergies. May I ask how much that costs? Is it several thousand? I would love to get one for our house!

crl
01-07-2010, 02:37 PM
I would wonder about allergies. Do you have carpets and they have hardwood at home? Because carpet is terrible for indoor air quality, especially dust mites. Or do you live someplace with a higher mold count? Or do you have pets?

I have allergies and when I was a kid I got bronchitis every winter. I'm allergic to dustmites mold and when the heat kicks on in the fall, most heat sytems kick out dust and mold. . . .

Catherine

wolverine2
01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
We have hardwood floors (w/area rugs), no allergies. We do have 2 cats, but so do my parents, so that shouldn't make a difference. We have radiator heat, so no forced hot air. No idea about mold (never seen any) but we do live in an old house (1920). We'd never consider getting tested based on our experience, but it is a bit of my mystery about my parents getting sick, so it makes me wonder...

hellokitty
01-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Sorry to go OT, but I've never heard of an air ionizer and have TERRIBLE allergies. May I ask how much that costs? Is it several thousand? I would love to get one for our house!

:yeahthat: