PDA

View Full Version : Sid the Science Kid on PBS

Momof3Labs
01-07-2010, 01:20 PM
If you haven't checked out this series, you should! I love how they bring science to a child's level. It is good for preschool age on up, I'd say. They ask questions that a 3-4-5 year old would ask, then answer them in an age-appropriate way. And there is some serious Muppet-cuteness going on with Sid, IMO!

I was just reserving some redbox movies before some serious winter weather hits our area, and noticed that they had 3 Sid DVDs available. DS2 likes Sid a lot and asks for him. DS1 won't ask for him but will watch it and talk about it.

mamicka
01-07-2010, 01:25 PM
We love this show, too. I think it's really engaging - even for me, sometimes.

boolady
01-07-2010, 01:37 PM
We have just started occasionally catching a few minutes of this in the morning sometimes when we're getting ready for work/daycare, and DD really seems to like it. Unfortunately, given the time that it's on in our area, we've never seen an episode the whole way through to the end.

DebbieJ
01-07-2010, 01:37 PM
DS1 likes this show, but his fav by FAR is Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman

calv
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
are there NEW shows at all? Kids quickly got bored of all the repeats

Momof3Labs
01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
are there NEW shows at all? Kids quickly got bored of all the repeats

Have you seen the DVDs? They are on amazon, or you can rent them at redbox for $1/day.

Momof3Labs
01-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Yeah, he's probably a little old to be too into Sid. It's not DS1's first choice either - these days, DS1 loves Phineas and Ferb, It's Me or the Dog, and Funniest Animal Videos, to name a few. I haven't been able to get DS1 hooked on Fetch! yet - odd because the topics are right up his alley.

baymom
01-07-2010, 01:54 PM

:yeahthat: DS LOVES Fetch!, too--but it's way above DD's head. The kids and I loved Sid for a long time...every well written kid's science show!

elephantmeg
01-07-2010, 01:57 PM
heck I like Sid :)

newg
01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
DD loves Sid and Dinosaur Train..........I love how both of them use great educational words in a very basic way.................
........I'm just waiting for DD to start saying "hypothesis"!

srhs
01-07-2010, 02:03 PM
........I'm just waiting for DD to start saying "hypothesis"!
My DF's 4yo's favorite word!

Naranjadia
01-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Intellectually, I like Sid, but both DH and I have an inner voice that screams "that kid is cooler than I am! Heck, his grandmother is cooler than I am! His teacher has to be on uppers and why in the heck did his mom ever marry his doofus dad?"

DebbieJ
01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, he's probably a little old to be too into Sid. It's not DS1's first choice either - these days, DS1 loves Phineas and Ferb, It's Me or the Dog, and Funniest Animal Videos, to name a few. I haven't been able to get DS1 hooked on Fetch! yet - odd because the topics are right up his alley.

yeah, B LOVE LOVES LOVES P&F too!

trentsmom
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
We like Sid, too! I've asked DS1 why doesn't he sing the "I love my mom, my mom is cool, but now it's time for having fun at school" song to me while we're in the car? :p

We used to watch Fetch. Not sure why we stopped watching it because we all enjoyed it.

daisymommy
01-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry to admit this, but that show bugs me to DEATH! I cannot stand the voice of Syd or that annoying kid in his class. I either don't let my kids watch it, or only if I'm in another room. Sorry, I'm the bad parent with this one!

fortato
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I love Sid!!! Especially after we saw the episode on germs!!! I can get past the annoying voice of his friend because it's a good show for kids!!!

Plus... Jack sings the "I love my mom.... (uh-huh) My mom is cool.. (Uh-huh)" song to me.
I can't complain about that!!

ohiomom1121
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I think the show is pretty good and it definitely teaches some good concepts...my son talked about how his pumpkins from Halloween were going to decay for weeks. BUT, Meg's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

m4nash
01-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm sorry to admit this, but that show bugs me to DEATH! I cannot stand the voice of Syd or that annoying kid in his class. I either don't let my kids watch it, or only if I'm in another room. Sorry, I'm the bad parent with this one!

:yeahthat:

trales
01-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Sid drives me batty. The annoying ADHD fat kid, the smart introspective girl, the ditsy girl in pigtails, and mister why, why, why, in your face Sid. The put together mom, the idiot dad, the teacher, don't get me started. Something about it grates at my very last nerve, even moreso than Elmo's World.

I love Dinosaur Train and can deal with some of the others.

JustMe
01-07-2010, 06:51 PM
I love the show. Dd watches it in the morning before school. I dont think it would be her first choice, but she is only allowed to watch PBS and (mostly) only before school so she is stuck with it. She does sing the "my mom is cool song to me, but now its time for having fun at school" to me, which I think really helps her b/c she doesnt do well with that transition. Also, I dont watch with her, but hear what is happening as I run around getting ready for work and she learns so much from it!

AnnieW625
01-07-2010, 07:36 PM
We've seen it a few times, and DD talks about Sid who goes to big kid school, but other than that she doesn't care much about it. She much prefers Super Why.

Fairy
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
We absolutely love Sid over here. Especially, We are foods from all over the WORLD, we are very delicious ..." Being 20 minumtes south of the land of cheese, we especially love the part of that song that goes, "we're cheese from Wiscoooonseein ..." Funny, funny stuff!

Not so into Dinosaur Train, but we like most PBS Kids shows, Sid's a fave, and how can you not love WordGirl?! DS is watching it right now ...

hellokitty
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM

Oh good. I won't be the only nay sayer. :bag I think that the educational material that the show is trying to get across is good, I just think that the way the delivery of that info is totally annoying and it grates on my nerves. I cannot stand the obnoxious colors/graphics of the show, the annoying voices and the exaggerated over-acting of the kids. I feel like adults who didn't have children were the ones who made the characters over-act stereotypes of the most annoying characteristics of children. Here's let's make one kid the in your face kid, one that is nerdy and nervous all of the time, let's add in one that has ADHD, etc.. Anyway, it ranks up there with Lazytown, Oobi and Barney for most irritating children's show on my list. Thank goodness my children cannot stand Sid either. I just let them watch the discovery channels and they eat that stuff up, even stuff that I thought would be totally over their heads, I'm amazed that they do understand some of it.

DrSally
01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
DS hasn't gotten into it. But, we always laugh at the "comercial"---"Banana...Why'd you have to get all brown and mushy!"

LD92599
01-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Except DS is going to bed! We watch alot of Kids13/PBS and love it - 24hour kids shows!

We have an antenna, so no Disney or Noggin, love Kids13!