PDA

View Full Version : Are Infant Car Seats Overused?

arivecchi
01-07-2010, 04:34 PM
I think so. I kind of wish they did not make them compatible with 100 different strollers, swings, etc. If I were a baby, I would not want to be in one more than absolutely necessary! :ROTFLMAO:

SnuggleBuggles
01-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Yep, I have felt that way for a long time. I hate seeing babies go through their whole days sitting in one of those. I have friends that used them in the car, then shopping, then to lunch, then to nap in at home... The design of them just makes that so easy and tempting.

Beth

Momof3Labs
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
For most people with 1-2 kids, probably yes. We moved DS1 out of the infant seat by 10-12 weeks because he hated it. We moved DS2 out of the infant seat by around 4 months because it we just didn't find it that convenient, and he was going to outgrow it by height in a couple of months, anyways. I used the sling a lot with both boys in that awkward middle stage before they could sit up well.

For twins with two older siblings, we'd never get out of the house without them!! That said, many days they don't go out at all, and they are never in the seats when they aren't going out. We also don't use them for, say, neighborhood walks - they go straight in the stroller for those.

arivecchi
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Do you think people just are not aware of the fact that babies should not spend so much time in car seats? No one really told me. I just thought they looked uncomfortable in them and was worried about them getting flat heads.

Momof3labs, I completely see why you would use car seats more than normal with your twins! I'm particularly baffled by people who have one kid or the other kids are older and the baby is constantly strapped to the thing.

KrisM
01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
For most people with 1-2 kids, probably yes. We moved DS1 out of the infant seat by 10-12 weeks because he hated it. We moved DS2 out of the infant seat by around 4 months because it we just didn't find it that convenient, and he was going to outgrow it by height in a couple of months, anyways. I used the sling a lot with both boys in that awkward middle stage before they could sit up well.

For twins with two older siblings, we'd never get out of the house without them!! That said, many days they don't go out at all, and they are never in the seats when they aren't going out. We also don't use them for, say, neighborhood walks - they go straight in the stroller for those.

:yeahthat:

I only have 3 and no twins, but I really like that I don't have to wake DS2 to take him into the cold just to take DD into preschool. He falls asleep about 50% of the time between home and school.

But, as a baby, all my kids used were in carriers (moby, etc) as often as possible. And, once they can sit, they are in the shopping cart seat or a carrier then, too.