PDA

View Full Version : Applesauce

ewpmsw
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Okay, I'm confused about applesauce. Have heard it helps with constipation and that it can cause it. DD loves it and we were using it to help move things along, with mixed results. My friend educated me on the BRAT diet and said applesauce is going to hurt more than help. The pharmacist sent DH home with apple juice and prunes when he headed out to get DD some relief. I'd rather give DD unsweetened apple sauce than juice. She's been having some major constipation issues lately, so we've cut back on cheese, yogurt and applesauce, all of which are favorites. TIA for info on whether applesauce is really so bad.

misshollygolightly
01-07-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm sure someone else will chime in, but my understanding is that *apple juice* helps move things along. *Applesauce* on the other hand, can contribute to constipation. If you are concerned about giving your child sweetened juice, just pick an unsweetened apple juice and/or dilute it with water. Or, better yet, go for prunes or prune juice, as they tend to have a slightly stronger effect. The BRAT diet is designed to help with diarrhea--NOT constipation. Applesauce and bananas especially should not be fed to a constipated kiddo! Here's a link to help you out:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/constip.htm

hillview
01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I always understood all things apple to deal with diarrhea and should be avoided if constipated.

/hillary

LMPC
01-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Prunes, warmed with a little water and cut into pieces *always* help move things along with DD :)

Yeah, I heard that applesauce can slow things down too -- but that apple juice speeds things up! Crazy!

GL!!!

DrSally
01-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Prunes! dried or baby food. If you want juice, I think pear works better for constipation.

catpagmo
01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Prunes, pears, plums, and peas always worked for us. I used fresh pears and plums, and jarred on the other stuff.

Good luck! Constipation issues are not fun.

mblackwell
01-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Prunes are the way to go!

MSWR0319
01-10-2010, 09:20 PM
When DS has problems we were told no bananas or applesauce until things were taken care of. Prunes worked for us. I just mixed some puree with his cereal, haven't had a problem since! I've heard pear juice also, if you'd rather use juice.

newg
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Our Ped. said anything that starts with a P helps with constipation.........and apple juice...........it's the only apple byproduct that won't clog you up for some reason!

Like PP mentioned........the BRAT diet is not for constipation.

When DD is having issues I'll mix apple juice with water...........