PDA

View Full Version : Question about safe sleeping

hehateme
01-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi:

My son turned 23 weeks old today. We were swaddling him until 2 weeks ago but felt that he should not need it any more. So we started putting him in a sleep sack. He had trouble sleeping so we changed back to swaddling him but left his arms out. This worked much better for him.

Our son has had a stuffy nose for 3 months. Doctors have told us that he does not have cold. We have a humidifier in the room. We put a few books under his crib mattress to help him. We clean his nose before he goes to bed. When he wakes up to drink his formula(Similac Sensitive) he has a stuffy nose. Could there be something in his formula that is causing a stuffy nose?
If we try to clean his nose during the nigth he wakes up so we avoid doing it.

He goes to bed in his crib around 7:30 and wakes up around mid night. He wakes up again around 4:00 am and he has trouble sleeping again. Stuffy nose is one cause of the problem. The only way he sleeps well after 4:00 am waking is if put him in a swing chair where he can keep his head higher. We have Fisher Price Zen collection Swing. We have take the chair out of the swing and placed it on the floor.

He has also started rolling over from his back to stomach. But he cannot rollback. We were using sleep positioner to keep on on his back but I would like to stop using them. Last night was the first night without a sleep positioner. First I saw him very close the the bumpers. I was concerned about him breathing so I removed the bumper. After that I found him sleeping on his stomach. His face was sideways so he was still breathing. He is still being swaddled with his arms out. I had a lot of trouble sleeping as I was concerned about his safety. I feared that he will rollover to his back and swaddling will prevent him from moving freely.

Tonight we plan to put him in a sleep sack. We will try to pick up breathable bumpers this weekend. His crib has a Colgate Classica I(Very firm) mattress. There is not soft toys and blankets in it. Is there anything else we should do to help him sleep better and safely?

Can we still allow him to sleep in a swing chair for a few hours in the morning?

I am sorry for the long email but I felt that I had to give you the big picture to get appropriate advice.

Thanks

SusieR
01-11-2010, 10:51 AM
I totally can relate! We stopped swaddling him at 18wk but now find that he can not sleep in his crib due to rolling issues....So he has been sleeping in his FP zen swing. I took the bumpers out and now he sticks his arms or legs thru the slats!!! I read mixed review on breathable bumpers but may get them.

Have you tried Little noses saline mist or drops before you feed him? I find that helps with my son when he is congested and I have been steaming up my bathroom for his bath time to also help loosen up his muscous.

Sorry I was not much help!

hehateme
01-12-2010, 12:06 AM
We are using Simply Saline spray and that has helped him.
Earlier we were using a suction bulb to clean his nose but we have to clean him several times a day so is nose was bleeding so we stopped doing it.

Fisher Price Zen Swing has been a blessing for us. I know that we are not supposed to let him sleep in it for long periods we he sleeps very well in it so we use it where there is no other option.

We did buy beathable bumpers from Babies R Us yesterday.

We switched his formula yesterday to see if that helps with his congested nose.

I did buy Graco Angel Care Baby Breathing monitor today. We installed it today. Now if my son stops breathing for more than 20 seconds an alarm will go off. So far it has been working well. I am impressed with how well this device is working. Whenever my son breathes I see a blinking light. It is the best $96 I spent.

My son went to bed at 7:00 pm tonight. Every 90 minutes he rolls on to his stomach. He tries finding a comfortable position but is unable to do so so he wakes up and starts crying.

My wife and I are splitting our child care duties but it is still tough to wake up every 60 to 90 minutes plus changing and feeding him when he is hungry.

I know eventually it will get better but I hope that it is sooner rather than later.

barkley1
01-12-2010, 10:45 PM
We've racked our brains over the same things...what we do is start him off with the crib wedge (he goes to bed around 7:30 or 8), then when we wake him up to eat at 10:30, he's barely awake, so we remove the wedge then for the rest of the night. A trick we've found is putting him just a little off center in the crib so when he goes to roll over, his feet hit the crib slats and stop him, so he's just on his side. Maybe that would work for you.

Good luck....I know it's hard to get any sleep when you're worried so much about them :(