PDA

View Full Version : At what age can a child start learning to ice skate?

jess_g
01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
My ds is 6 and loves the snow. I think he would realy love to ice skate, but is he too young to learn? I did not learn until I was 8 but we lived in a warmer climate. Also how safe is it for young kids? I know kids fall down a lot while learning and I don't want him to hurt himself.

Thanks,

Jessica.

codex57
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
My sister skated competitively so a lot of her peers started at age 2 or if your kid is 6, he prolly wouldn't even need to use a bucket for balance. He's fine.

maybeebaby08
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't think he's too young, I live in Boston and a lot of kids start at 3 or 4 around here.

dylansnan
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Average age seems 3-4. There was a thread about this recently. Kids are usually required to wear helmets (bike helmets work just fine.) Injuries don't seem very common in the classes of kids that I know.
HTH :-)

twindad
01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Our local parks and rec offers beginning ice skating classes to 3 year olds.

wimama
01-08-2010, 12:32 PM
3 is probably the youngest I would start a kid.

LarsMal
01-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Our 3 and 4 1/2 yo are starting lessons this weekend. I've taken DS (4 1/2) three times now and he's really catching on. DD hasn't been quite as interested, but I think that's because it's so crowded during the open skate. She said she is excited for lessons, but I guess we'll see. I met a mom on the ice a couple weeks ago who had a little guy not yet 3 and he was doing great!

SASM
01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
DD started last year at 3.5 and did well. There was a girl in her class that started taking lessons at 2y. Best to get him started early. last year, DS who was a new 6 at the time, learned quickly and loved it. This year, beng off of it for 9mos, he is TERRIFIED of the ice. It has been slow going for him. 6 is definitely a good age! Good luck! We are getting ready to start DD2 (age 2) on the ice this year...fun!

alirebco
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
3 is a good age to start. I know DH learned at that age as did his sister. He wants to start DS now at age 2 but it's hard to find skates that small. 6 should not be a problem at all!

jayali
01-08-2010, 02:18 PM
DS was 4 when he started. All kids wear helmets by us and some even where elbow or knee pads, so no need to worry about falling or hurting himself.

Just wanted to add not to be disappointed if DS doesn't LOVE it. Matthew is a cold weather snow kid, but ice skating was not his thing. He probably won't do well with skiing either, but we are going to try it. I think it is the sliding sensation that he doesn't love.