PDA

View Full Version : would you buy a used car seat in very good condition as a spare?

american_mama
01-08-2010, 12:49 PM
We just bought a second car for the first time and I might need a spare seat for DS, aged 21 months and 26 pounds. He will ride in the second car very infrequently, perhaps not at all. Perhaps we can move his existing Marathon around without too much irritation since his riding in the car will be so infrequent. So I really don't want to spend much on a very spare seat.

My BRU doesn't have any Sceneras. The cheapest online price for a Scenera is about $50. Someone is selling a Scenera on craiglist for $35, used about 6 times before outgrown. DOM is 8/2007 and she gave a very thorough answer to my questions. Would you buy it? I'd offer $25 or $30. I wouldn't buy used for a main car seat, but for a spare?

AnnieW625
01-08-2010, 01:15 PM
If you liked the seller and she can prove that it's never been an accident (IE: provide a car fax report) then I think it would be okay, but I'd rather just buy new or buy from trusted good friends. Target usually keeps Sceneras, as does Wal Mart so you might look there first. You can also buy them online, but you won't get a carrying bag.

o_mom
01-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Honestly? No. Not to save $20. If it were someone you knew or trusted like a relative, good friend or fellow tech, that would be different. The Marathon is so easy to install that I would just move that instead.

Melaine
01-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Not unless from a friend or family member. And, IMO, that's not a good enough deal on a Scenera for used. You can find them that cheap new at times.

ETA: We have only the two marathons and just switch them if needed. I'd prefer extra seats but don't want to shell out the cash.

Joolsplus2
01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
I was going to suggest a Tribute from BRU, but it still only has a 30lb RF weight limit... I just like how it installs a bit better than a Scenera, and it has EPS foam, but your little guy isn't all that little, right?

jjordan
01-08-2010, 02:15 PM
I'd just plan on moving the marathon.

o_mom
01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Been thinking a bit more about this.... IIRC, you don't have seats for any of the kids for this car?

If you are starting from scratch and trying to spend as little as possible, I would get a Maestro and a highback TurboBooster. That way you could take any two kids at one time. The little one would have to be FF in this scenerio, but the Maestro would last you much longer than a Scenera and could be used for the middle one as well. For very infrequent, at 21 months I would be OK with that. The Turbo could be used for the oldest and maybe the middle one, depending on age/size.

jgenie
01-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't buy a car seat used unless I personally knew the person I was buying it from and knew that they were as vigilant about car seat safety as I am. I would just switch the seat you have between cars until you can afford to buy a spare.

Momof3Labs
01-08-2010, 08:39 PM
kmart and sears carry the scenera too - they were putting it on sale for $39 last fall.

new_mommy25
01-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Do you need a seat right away? If not, just pay attention to the Sunday ads. The Scenera goes on sale at Target/Walmart/Kmart all the time.

bubbaray
01-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Honestly? No. Not to save $20. If it were someone you knew or trusted like a relative, good friend or fellow tech, that would be different.

:yeahthat:

JBaxter
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
kmart and sears carry the scenera too - they were putting it on sale for $39 last fall.

I think Walmart has them for 45 at my walmart now. saving $20 isnt worth chancing it for my baby.