PDA

View Full Version : I think I smelled smoke on my DCP this morning

Snow mom
01-08-2010, 02:13 PM
... and I'm not talking about cigarette smoke. I usually drop off DD at daycare around 8:30, which is the same time the full day teacher arrives. This morning I smelled what seemed like pot smoke on the teacher. I know there was a thread a while back on DCP smoking (although I think the thread really only concerned cigarettes) but I wanted to get peoples feedback. DD goes to a small center. I'm sure they don't drug test. I'm upset both about the smoke on the clothing (although since this is no longer the infant room she doesn't spend a lot of time cuddling with her teachers) and the potential for mistakes when a teacher shows up "altered." It's a room of 10 toddlers, some walking, some crawling, all biting (it seems.) I couldn't supervise it if I was 100% present. The teacher is really good with the kids, but it only takes one slip up for something bad to happen. I'm really questioning everything now. Smoking pot at 8:30 a.m. before showing up for work shows serious bad judgment IMO. I feel like I should pull DD from the center, but I don't really have another option for her care. I'm even questioning if I'm just imagining everything (could it have just been cigarette smoke? Would that make me feel any better?) So, WWYD?

Beckylove
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I'd be on the phone to the owner/manager right now. Urging her to look into it and get back to you immediately. Unless there was a great explaination-- it is cigarette smoke only because the teacher had to get a ride to work on this occasion, etc, I'd be researching a new daycare.

IMO, cigarette smoke is not ok, and a pot smoker is really not ok.

knaidel
01-08-2010, 02:22 PM
ditto! I'd also be on the phone with the director urging her to look into it. Unless there's a REALLY good explanation, I'd also get on the phone looking for a new day care.

Melaine
01-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I would call them immediately and ask them to get back to you by the end of the day about what will be done. If you can smell it then the director could too and better be going by her doing a sniff test. That's totally unacceptable, and IMO should be the end of her working there. If not, I would find another DCP.

catpagmo
01-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Could it possibly be something else? Maybe she cooked something last night that had strong spices, or something and it's lingering on her clothes/hair, etc?

I agree that if it's pot, then you need to report it asap. I would just want to be sure it was before I called.

VClute
01-08-2010, 03:54 PM
... I feel like I should pull DD from the center, but I don't really have another option for her care. So, WWYD?

Well, it depends on how serious you are about not having another option. If you don't have another option for her care, then pulling her out means quitting your job. Are you willing to do that? If so, that's your answer if you're truly concerned about her safety.

BUT, you may have other childcare options that you just haven't considered yet.

This is reminding me of the finding childcare on Craigslist thread. When your back is really against the wall, what are you willing to do to a) work and b) get the best possible care for your child?

jse107
01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Talk to the Director ASAP.

Ninotchka
01-08-2010, 05:47 PM
I just want to say that you should ask before getting too worried -- there are substances that smell like pot but aren't. I have had moxibustion done by an acupuncturist (this involves burning certain herbs). It's definitely not weed but it smells SO much like that I had to giggle every time I had it done! Anyone would be fooled.

I wanted to put that out there, in case your DCP is an acupuncture aficionado!

brittone2
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
This might be a long shot, but I know when I was working as a therapist in early intervention, there were times I went into neighborhoods with apartments, and there was pot smoke clearly coming from one apartment and wafting up to a client's home. I can think of two cases in particular where I knew it was coming from a lower level apt (could smell it *strongly*) and wafting up through the ventilation into the homes of others.

Just thought I'd toss that out there as a possible (fairly benign) cause. The families I knew were not happy and expressed their frustration about it but could only do so much.

wellyes
01-08-2010, 06:12 PM
It's definitely possible she's not guilty, I wouldn't panic. Could be something else or someone else. But I'd bring it up with management without question, right away. I wouldn't tolerate a DCP who smelled like alcohol, or this.

AnnieW625
01-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Sometimes I think that clove cigarettes smell a little like pot too so I would mention that the management too and then they have a private meeting with the employee.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Besides the smell, how did she seem? Different? The smell could be other things, but bloodshot eyes, etc. could make the case.

Snow mom
01-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Sometimes I think that clove cigarettes smell a little like pot too so I would mention that the management too and then they have a private meeting with the employee.

Okay, wanted to update although I don't have much of an update at this point. This is basically the exact issue I'm dealing with-- not really feeling confidant of what type of smoke it was. I needed to do something in the moment that I smelled the smoke because accusing someone of doing illegal drugs before coming to work is a pretty serious thing. DD has been in this classroom since Thanksgiving and this is the first I've smelled smoke on the teacher. I'm really sensitive to smoke and now that I'm clued in to the issue I'll be sure to keep a "nose" out to make sure it doesn't happen again. If I ever smell smoke on him again I'll go directly to talk to the director about the problem. I don't trust the director to keep my complaint confidential and I don't want to burn bridges at this point over something that I can't establish whether it happened or not. This has opened my eyes a bit about issues of trust I have with the center and I'm going to be looking into other options. I called the university daycare where DD has been on the waitlist for 14 months and she is number 76 waiting for a spot in the under 18 month room. Crazy! The search continues. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Naranjadia
01-09-2010, 12:51 AM
I couldn't make that call because there is a brand of clothing detergent that smells exactly like pot to me (I don't know which kind), and I know what pot smells like.

buddyleebaby
01-09-2010, 01:05 AM
FWIW, my DH smells like pot to me everytime he drinks orange/citrus juice.
So does my DD2, for that matter. (And DH agrees with me.)

It's weird.

vludmilla
01-09-2010, 01:08 AM
I would call them immediately and ask them to get back to you by the end of the day about what will be done. If you can smell it then the director could too and better be going by her doing a sniff test. That's totally unacceptable, and IMO should be the end of her working there. If not, I would find another DCP.

I don't think a person should be fired because someone thinks they smell smoke, maijuana or cigarette. I am also very much anti smoking and marijuana.

Penny's Pappa
01-09-2010, 01:30 AM
I think you have a legitimate concern, but try not to jump to conclusions. Just because he smells like pot doesn't mean he smoked it, and even if he did, it doesn't mean he smoked it that morning and came to work under the influence.

It is definitely cause for concern, though. Try not to misunderstand me there. I'd go to the director right away, or, if you didn't trust him/her, maybe go to whatever State agency regulates childcare centers in your area and file a complaint. Certainly the center's certifications rely in part on their employees refraining from smoking pot (or taking any other illegal drug for that matter). Your suspicions may be cause for the employee to undergo a drug screening.