PDA

View Full Version : What seat for travel - New questions!

alien_host
01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
We likely need to travel to the West Coast in the spring. We have DD in a Frontier at home.

What kind of seat/brand should I consider bringing? We will need to rent a car over there.

She'll be 5 at the time. Right now she is 42 inches and about 35 lbs. I do not want to lug the Frontier.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I don't even know...can she be in a backless booster or is she still too young/small?

Any recommendations? TIA.

alien_host
01-10-2010, 01:31 PM
bump...any thoughts????

SnuggleBuggles
01-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I like traveling with our Compass B510 because it folds and usually it comes with a travel bag. We pack it in it's bag and either check it or carry it on depending on how much else we are traveling with. I know there have been reports about it not being a good booster b/c it doesn't fit all kids or all cars well but it seems ok to us. Might be worth checking. I like the high back for comfort, extra protection and it's easier to sleep in than a backless one would be.

Beth

Joolsplus2
01-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Lots of driving at destination? Or just a little?
Compass might work, and Turbo detaches to become a lot easier to travel with. If just a little driving, Harmony LiteRider is suited for smaller kids and easy to pack/carry, or RideSafer Travel Vest is by far the easiest/smallest/lightest to deal with, but kind of expensive if it's just one trip.

o_mom
01-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Oooo... thought I answered this... off into the ether, I guess. :)

If you want inexpensive because you aren't really going to use it much, the TurboBooster fits young kids well. You can pack the back in your luggage and carry on the seat. At five and close to 40 lbs, she should be OK in a highback booster. I wouldn't suggest going to a backless at that age and most have a 40 lb minimum anyway. In a pinch (say the luggage is lost) you won't be seat-less for a very short ride to the hotel or store, but you don't have to carry on the whole seat or check the whole thing either.

alien_host
01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the responses!

Lots of driving at destination? Or just a little?

Probably just a little. Airport to hotel and back and some light driving in between for meals etc.

My sister was going to ask co-workers/friends if they have a seat we can borrow when we arrive, but that means sis will have to pick us up at the airport.

I'm going to ask my friends if they have anything we can borrow and I'll look into the seats recommended too.

alien_host
01-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Ok so DH would rather us buy a seat for our second car instead of something just for travel. I drive DD around 99% of the time but he'd like a spare seat for his car so we don't have to do the shuffle.

So what is ideal as a "back-up" seat as well as compact for air travel (to check or gate check)? I'm willing to spend a bit more since it likely will get more use than just for the 1 trip.

And if I check it, do people buy special "luggage"/case/bag for it or what's the deal?

DD is almost 5, 42 inches and about 35 lbs. Our travel plans are in May so she should be lightly bigger then.

thanks!