PDA

View Full Version : s/o - do you enjoy traveling?

neeleymartin
01-08-2010, 10:25 PM
i hate traveling for a so many reasons. packing, planning, actual travel (whether plane, bus, auto) feel stressed every minute of a trip, always thinking about what i could be doing at home. the only thing that takes me over the bridge and off cape is TARGET!!! and that's just a few minutes from the bridge. pretty sure i can't be the only one...but am i?

tylersmama
01-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I hate packing and planning but love traveling. I can't wait until I actually have some money again and can take a "real" vacation that doesn't involve visiting family in Ohio! The best trip I've taken was 10 days in Italy, which wasn't nearly enough...

ett
01-08-2010, 10:33 PM
I enjoyed traveling pre-kids. I don't enjoy it as much now because it's way more work packing for the kids, especially w/DS2's food allergy and asthma I have to bring so much more stuff. And the kids don't sleep well away from home either.

jent
01-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Wait, are you and DH separated at birth? Every time we travel I get to hear ad nauseum about why he doesn't like to travel, for pretty much all the reasons you said.

billysmommy
01-08-2010, 10:43 PM
The only part of traveling I don't like is all the laundry afterwards...lol

DH and I love to travel and we're very lucky that both our boys love it also and are good travelers

baymom
01-08-2010, 10:52 PM
DH and I live to travel. We constantly talk about where we want to go next. Both our kids enjoy it and travel well, so that definitely helps, as well. They have both missed quite a bit of school so that we can travel off peak. :bag

bubbaray
01-08-2010, 11:05 PM
I love travelling. With kids, not so much. DH and I travelled extensively pre-kids (together and individually). Now, he has to coax me out of the house with promises of time in Nordstroms shoe department.

neeleymartin
01-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I love travelling. With kids, not so much. DH and I travelled extensively pre-kids (together and individually). Now, he has to coax me out of the house with promises of time in Nordstroms shoe department.

i thought that travelling had two l's, as in my op, then i edited when i saw other's replies. just googled and seems that both spellings traveling, and travelling are acceptable.

bubbaray
01-08-2010, 11:18 PM
I can't spell to save my life. Don't take my spelling as being correct, LOL. I have a team of secretaries saving my bacon on a daily basis.

pb&j
01-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Love it. Used to do it for a living. Wish I could travel more!

lchang25000
01-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Love traveling! Wish we could do it more often like before, but we have our hands full with DS for now.

JamiMac
01-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Yes, we love to travel! We're very lucky because my husband's job allows us to go quite a bit. My kids have always traveled well, and started as tiny babies. It's a pain to pack sometimes, but way worth it to us.

hellokitty
01-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Not so much with kids, but pre-kiddo I liked to travel. My kids actually do travel well, but *I* am totally zapped when I travel with my kids, b/c I am the one who has to be in charge of everything. Packing, planning, research, etc.. I told DH that next time we go on a trip, HE is going to have to do all of that so I can actually just go and not have to think.

maestramommy
01-09-2010, 12:10 AM
I love traveling once I get there. It's the getting there that is grueling. I can't wait til the kids are older and can schlep more of their own stuff and don't have to be herded like sheep!

bluestar2
01-09-2010, 12:15 AM
... will go anywhere.

crl
01-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Pre-kid I loved traveling. Well, planning, packing and being there. I never liked the actual travel part (hate airplanes--they are boring and I'm stuck and there's not enough room to even fidget properly).

Now that I have a kid, I don't really enjoy any of it. DS is not good with change so the whole thing tends to be stressful. Sigh.

Catherine

kozachka
01-09-2010, 03:07 AM
I absolutely love to travel, it is my passion. DH and I have a great time together when we travel although I stress too much about making sure everything is perfect and a great value. I pride myself on almost never using a travel agent, even for exotic places such as Vietman and Cambodia, so it always takes a lot of research and dreaming a trip but I like it. The only part of travel that I don't like is packing, it stresses me out as I have to commit to a set of clothing that I can't change later. I could probably work as a travel agent if I wanted to. For obvious reasons I prefer to travel without DS but he is better at it that most kids. I can't wait for DS to be old enough to fully appreciate new places, food and people.

wencit
01-09-2010, 03:50 AM
I like to travel -- it fits my Type-A, obsessive, research-oriented personality (at least, the way I do it)! I think dreaming and planning and organizing all the details for the whole trip is ALMOST as fun as the trip itself. Unfortunately, it gets pricey so fast that we don't do it nearly as often as I'd like.

nfowife
01-09-2010, 05:34 AM
We love to travel and are constantly planning our next trip. We are living in Europe and trying to take advantage of all there is to offer here. We try to do a trip every month or so, and the kids have been surprisingly great through it all. I feel like we have it down to a science at this point! We can go away for 4-5 days with 1 suitcase and the stroller for our family of 4.

jgenie
01-09-2010, 07:10 AM
I love to travel - we did quite a bit pre-DS not so much now. I'm looking forward to traveling again once the baby is a bit older. I don't look forward to traveling with DH now that we have kids - he can't seem to realize that it's different with kids maybe as they get older he'll get better.

mommylamb
01-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Love to travel, but we haven't done much of it since DS was born. Are one big vacation was to drive to the Outer Banks in NC and rent a house on the beach. Honestly, with a child, this was an ideal vacation. I love beach vacations anyway.

I did a fair bit of travel pre-kids, though admittedly, most of my trips over the last decade have been back and forth to England to see friends and DH's family. I'm probably going to China for work at least once this year, and maybe twice, and that will be my first trip to Asia. It's a work trip, but should still be fun. And, DS will be home with DH.

Melaine
01-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Sometimes. It takes a lot of preparation for me to enjoy traveling, I think because of my anxiety. I find it very stressful and tend to have flares of GAD when traveling. I have never been on a plane and fine the idea terrifying (I know, it's crazy!) but I like going somewhere close by if our plans are very low key and casual. I really have to work to keep the stress down when traveling. Our last trip went really well though. DH helps me stay calm.

egoldber
01-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Yes. I love planning and making lists. :) I don't enjoy the actual packing part these days, but it's getting better now that I don't have any tiny ones and they need a lot less gear. I also hate the laundry afterwards. I have been known to do laundry before coming home to avoid this!

Sometimes it's not so fun depending on where we are going. The 4 of us cramped in a tiny hotel room to visit my mom in her smoky, dysfunctional house at Christmas when I'd rather be at home = not fun. But the 4 of us cramped in a tiny hotel room to visit WDW = fun for all! :ROTFLMAO:

infomama
01-09-2010, 10:35 AM
I love to travel and I love to plan trips. We camp (travel trailer) a lot in the summer/fall and although it is a lot of work to prep and unpack I wouldn't trade the memories we make on those trips for the world. We take so few trips via plane that those are always fun.
That being said....it's always so good to come home after a long trip.

SnuggleBuggles
01-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I like it enough that I do want to do it still. But, I think there are some hassles that keep me from doing it more. The biggest one is the PITB about finding places to eat. So, if I have access to a kitchen I'm much happier. I hate wasting $ on crappy food just because I have to eat out. I have done really in depth research for some cities so I am happy to visit them. I guess it depends on the type of trip whether I like to travel or not. I do want to see more of the world so I'll keep going though.

Beth

wellyes
01-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Love love love to travel.

But I *hate* any kind of group excursion, especially group meals or anything involving a tour guide or bus. Give me a week to plan, a Moon Guide or Lonely Planet and set me off.