PDA

View Full Version : What is your Mommy (Daddy) "uniform"?

tnrnchick74
01-09-2010, 11:46 AM
You know...the go-to outfit that doesn't take a lot of energy to put together but still looks 1/2 way decent??

Mine: dark wash boot-cut jeans with a slightly fitted LL Bean polo shirt and clogs or sandals depending on the weather. During the heat of FL trade jeans for capris - either khaki or dark denim. Jewelry is always 2 post earrings, 1 small hoop; Mommy necklace that I received for my 1st mother's day. Makeup optional

WORK: I'm an RN so that's pretty standard - kid friendly scrubs, long sleeve tshirt, work clogs, same jewelry, make-up not optional.

I'm just curious because so many of my Mom "friends" ALWAYS look so much more put together than me. I like to look nice, but I'm not a slave to fashion. I've gained weight that I can't seem to get rid of, so many styles don't look flattering on me. I am the mother to a very high-energy "all american" boy who always looks so darn cute, but is ALWAYS messy...which translates to ME being messy too.

SnuggleBuggles
01-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Jeans (dark usually but I have some lighter) straight leg or boot cut jeans. Fitted, long sleeved, fitted t-shirt (usually v-neck), cute sneakers, and a pretty necklace. Major rut lately.
eta- I have been wearing a colored tank underneath so I get a tiny pop of extra color in the outfit either at the top or bottom of the shirt. I'm liking henleys lately too.
etaa- I wear ballet flats (gray patent leather or crimson patent leather most of the time) when it isn't snowy out. I have a few heeled shoes I like too.

Beth

jayali
01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
dark jeans - black turtleneck (v-neck tee shirt in summer) black boots

Twoboos
01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Right now, jeans and Sweater Selection of the Day. Shoes depend on the weather!

crl
01-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Dark trouser jeans and a long sleeve v-neck t-shirt with ballet flats. I'm dressed up if I add a necklace.

Catherine

bubbaray
01-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Weekends: Lululemon yoga pants and Lululemon hoodie, usually with a longer t-shirt. some sort of running shoe, sometimes NB slides.

Court days: suit. Blech.

non-court workdays: khakis, sweater set, Clarks maryjanes.

ha98ed14
01-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Dark jeans, black shirt (lately a turtleneck) and black clarks. (I have a few different pairs.) I cut my hair to a little below chin length bob to force myself not to just put it in a pony tail every day. I think I look less sloppy with my hair down. But of course then I have to brush it. If I am really trying, I will wear earrings. :P

Toba
01-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Straight leg jeans, an Old Navy or Gap t-shirt (or if it's cold out, a hoodie) and Sketchers. You will RARELY see me in anything else outside of the house.

Tondi G
01-09-2010, 01:43 PM
my daily uniform is a pair of lucky brand jeans, a tank top with a hoodie on top. shoes these days are my adidas sneakers or wool clogs. I really need to get a comfy casual shoe that doesn't look like I'm headed out to the gum or still in my slippers! :)

I'm in a bit of a rut.... I know I can do better but comfort and being able to run around after my active boy is what wins right now!

g-mama
01-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I no longer have a uniform now that my kids are older...so keep hope alive. :)

sunshine873
01-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Jeans, long-sleeve T, clogs. Hoodie or down vest when going out. Lately I'm not liking how my T's fit. They're Old Navy and I think they've shrunk (I hope.) Yet, the next size up is too big for me. I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade to some higher-quality T-shirts.

LarsMal
01-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Jeans or cords and a sweater or long-sleeve cotton shirt with a cardigan of some sort over it.

I have a pair of black Born slip-ons and a pair of brown Dansko clogs that I wear all.the.time. I have some really cute boots, but I never wear them. I just realized the other day that my clogs are almost 8 years old, but they still look great. I really need to go shoe shopping!

daisymommy
01-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Old Navy dark wash Sweetheart (bootcut) jeans
Long sleeve T (Old Navy or Gap)--used to be V-neck, but now my chest freezes so they're crewneck ;)
Sometimes a down vest over top
Clarks Privos (black) or Ugg Boots with the snow here
Mommy necklace from Etsy, and nickle size silver hoop earrings
Everyday minerals make-up when going out in public.
Just got my long curly hair cut to shoulder length because I couldn't deal with the up-keep.

daisymommy
01-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Previous posters, please share your links to the following shoes that you like please. I need a new pair :) :
-Adidas sneakers
-Sketchers
-Clogs
-black boots (I need something without a heel that is cozy/comfy yet cute for running around with a 3 yr. old and baby, and jeans & long sleeved T).

tnrnchick74
01-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Previous posters, please share your links to the following shoes that you like please. I need a new pair :) :
-Adidas sneakers
-Sketchers
-Clogs
-black boots (I need something without a heel that is cozy/comfy yet cute for running around with a 3 yr. old and baby, and jeans & long sleeved T).

I live in Dansko clogs. I'm an RN and wear them exclusively at work...and love them for off work too

daisymommy
01-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I must have really gotten the wrong size/fit of Dansko clogs. I ordered 2 different sizes off Zappos a year or two ago when everyone here was talking about them, settled on a pair...and then they just sit in my closet because they are "my cute shoes that hurt my feet" :(

tnrnchick74
01-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I must have really gotten the wrong size/fit of Dansko clogs. I ordered 2 different sizes off Zappos a year or two ago when everyone here was talking about them, settled on a pair...and then they just sit in my closet because they are "my cute shoes that hurt my feet" :(

Fit is the MOST important thing after a break in period. The toe box should be big enough to allow your toes to move; the heel should be big enough that your entire heel slips out of them. you should "clog" in your Danskos.

Then there is the break-in period. I'm currently breaking in some new patent leather clogs for work. I worse them 4 hours straight, then switched to old clogs. I came home, rubbed vaseline inside on the "hot" spots and wore them another hour. then I manually stretched them in those too tight places. The next day I wore them all day - still had 1 minor hot spot, so I went home and stretched that part again. NExt week I will wear all day/every day and see how they do. In 2 weeks they should fit my feet like a GLOVE!

Laurel
01-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Jeans (expensive), t-shirt (cheap), and clogs or boots; flip flops in summer. I like to wear different jewelry, scarves, jackets to feel like I don't have a "uniform", but I totally do.

If I am going to be at home more than a couple hours I will trade the jeans for yoga or sweat pants.

Carrots
01-09-2010, 04:43 PM
(I'm pregnant) Mine right now is maternity long & lean Gap dark wash jeans, white scoop neck T, and a v-neck sweater with some sort of flat or low heeled boot. Even non-pregnant, I don't leave the house without makeup and hair done. (I just feel incomplete without the hair and makeup.) Lately I have been forgetting to put in earrings.

Nooknookmom
01-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Jeans (skinny, boot, whichever), t-shirt (Paul Frank or anything from Pac Sun), Vans, Uggs or flip-flops.

I tend to wear the same thing ALL the time, I def. get my moneys worth b/c I tend to wear my favorite pieces to death.

On occasion, when I want to look more grown up, I do have nice pants, blazers, shells and high heels. I hate playing dress up though and tend to stick to the comfies.

Melaine
01-09-2010, 04:54 PM

I am looking for these same boots and I would like them to be $60 or under!!!

Melaine
01-09-2010, 05:00 PM
I am usually in jeans or yoga pants or sometimes the two piece velour suits (I'm sure that's a big fashion no-no) with tanks and sweaters or hoodies. Lately I've been wearing those shearling boots that are so comfy and were such a steal at Cabelas or my purple Privos. In the spring and summer I tend to wear tiered cotton skirts or fold-overs with long layered tanks and flip-flops or Crocs (although my Crocs are on the way out of my closet and I won't be replacing them). I would really like to work on looking more pulled together but there is only so much I can do with my time, budget, and very limited skills....

DietCokeLover
01-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Winter: Usually either a jogging suit/ wind suit type outfit or yoga pants and a long sleeve t shirt for casual shopping. If going out somewhere to eat or something like that, just jeans and a sweater.

Summer: Love to be in sundresses or capris and random shirts.

However.... we have been snowed/ iced in for over a week and I've had all sorts of PJs on and nothing "real".

MommyofAmaya
01-09-2010, 05:16 PM
-Clogs

I recently picked up these Josef Seibel clogs when I was trying to put a little more effort into my "uniform". I feel much more put together when I wear these than my Born mary janes.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/1838G,57,_Josef-Seibel-Jennifer-Clog-Shoes-Leather-For-Women.html?cdf=TopSeller

Melaine
01-09-2010, 05:31 PM
I recently picked up these Josef Seibel clogs when I was trying to put a little more effort into my "uniform". I feel much more put together when I wear these than my Born mary janes.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/1838G,57,_Josef-Seibel-Jennifer-Clog-Shoes-Leather-For-Women.html?cdf=TopSeller

Those are really cute!!

Twoboos
01-09-2010, 05:36 PM
As far as clogs, I am loving the Danskos I got for Christmas!

http://www.zappos.com/ViewProduct.action?productId=7423662

Also, I have a couple of great comfy pairs I got from Clarks. These type of styles, but different designs on top:

http://www.zappos.com/product/7580750/color/3
http://www.zappos.com/indigo-by-clarks-cleary-black-leather?zlfid=111

MelissaTC
01-09-2010, 05:58 PM
As far as clogs, I am loving the Danskos I got for Christmas!

http://www.zappos.com/ViewProduct.action?productId=7423662

I got the same pair for Christmas and love them!

elektra
01-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Work ( I work from home)-
Lululemon yoga pants or sweats, T-shirt, Ugg slippers, no makeup
I am way frumpy during the week.

Weekend - bootcut jeans or my new skinny jeans with a tshirt and cardigan, converse sneakers or flats

Right now I have my lululemom groove downs with a Splendit t-shirt hoodie and my converse

lchang25000
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
These days: sweaters with skinny jeans or sweater leggings with Uggs.

westgre
01-09-2010, 08:30 PM
When I'm off work in the colder months, it's a pair of jeans, T-shirt, Mammoth Crocs. In warmer months, it's shorts, T-shirt, flip flops. When I'm at work, it's scrubs and Crocs. My hair is pretty much always in a pony tail. I'm definitely in a rut that has lasted the past 7 years or so. Maybe when #3 is a little older I can get myself together...

hillview
01-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Top: tank top with v-neck ls over it or a longsleeve
Bottom: Jeans -- NYDJ or land's end yoga pants (really need to update here)
Socks: Smartwool
Shoes: Merrells or Croc Mammoths

/hillary

Corie
01-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Dark jeans. (brand new Not Your Daughter's Jeans)
Long sleeve white Land's End crewneck t-shirt (I have a ton of these t-shirts.)
Faconnable v-neck sweatshirt/sweater in various colors
Geox loafers

I don't wear make-up, except for lipstick.

No jewelry except for my engagement/wedding rings and watch.

maestramommy
01-09-2010, 09:42 PM
You look more put together than I do:p
Right now cause it's fricken cold: jeans, t-shirt, my college sweatshirt that's so faded you'd have to be alumni to recognize it. Or a long sleeve undershirt and T shirt. Or long sleeve undershirt and same sweatshirt, or this large gray sweater.

Summer: shorts and a T shirt. Or tank top.

Once I'm done nursing and lose my baby weight, I'm getting new clothes.

This is for everyday, you understand. For church or date night I try a little harder. LL Bean slacks, long sleeve shirt. Or a black HA skirt, love sleeve shirt.

pinkmomagain
01-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Dark wash boot cut jeans (Gap or designer)
Long sleeved Ts from Gap or tank/cami with a cardi
If snow is on the ground, my new La Canadienne short black boots. Otherwise sneakers, so I am ready to squeeze in a walk around the neighborhood when I get a free half hour.
Jewlery: anniversary band, engagement ring, watch and diamond studs. This never changes.

jenfromnj
01-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Dark trouser jeans and a long sleeve v-neck t-shirt with ballet flats. I'm dressed up if I add a necklace.

Catherine

Pretty much this, except I add a sweater on really cold days. In the summer I wear almost exclusively dresses--it's easier than having to match top and bottom, LOL.

TwinFoxes
01-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Fun thread!

Cold: dark Jeans, wrap shirt over cami or long sleeve v-neck top (with Lycra!) and my new Stuart Weitzman Ugg-ish boots. Love them! And my North Face Apex Bionic jacket. It is so warm but super light weight! So much easier to chase the girls in! And fab sunglasses when neccesary (indulgence of mine).

Warm: skirt or jeans with wrap top or top with empire waist. And sandals, most often dressy flip-flops. And of course fab sunglasses :)

Makeup: always lipstick and brows. I have very very sparse brows which just looks goofy with my big ol' curly hair! Mascara if I'm feeling fancy. ;)

kijip
01-09-2010, 11:33 PM
I wear dark jeans and some sort of cardigan nearly everyday. Sometimes that cardigan is over a turtleneck sweater, sometimes it is over a tank-top and sometimes it is over a t-shirt. Shoes are usually red Naot mary janes or keen mary janes. I used to wear clogs, but the steeltoe brand I prefer wears out over the toes too easily and Dankos do not fit my feet at all.

Before I took a very casual job working with homeless advocacy, my uniform was more slacks than jeans, more cashmere and merino than cotton and more Fluevogs than flats.

I never wear make-up. Not anywhere. Job interviews, work, formal dinners etc. All my experiments with wearing it have never felt right and I just like my face without it.

DrSally
01-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Dark, boot cut jeans, long sleeve T-shirt (I like the LE ones), and LE clogs. I don't bother with jewlery or makeup unless it's a special occassion. I used to wear makeup for work.

Summer: shorts and v neck t-shirt. I'm with Melinda, once I'm done nursing and hopefully lose some baby weight, maybe I can fit into some of my nicer sweaters. I don't think I'll ever fit into my cute shoes. My feet are permanently widened.

kozachka
01-10-2010, 02:49 AM
Bottoms: Lucky Jeans Classic Rider jeans (http://www.luckybrand.com/Classic-Rider-Jeans/LBJ11136,default,pd.html?cgid=womensJeans&selectedColor=461)in dark wash, or white jeans
Tops: long sleeve t-shirt or a sweater and a leather jacket
Shoes: nice ballet flats
Accessories: anniversary wedding band, designer sunglasses and watch, and a nice purse
Makeup: maybe lipstick/lipgloss

I invested in a nice leather jacket (http://www.ssense.com/women/product/mackage/nev_black_leather_jacket/7846) (mine is brown with gray), couple blazers, and sunglasses. With the exception of one blazer, everything was at least 50% off, which makes me feel better :loveeyes:. I choose to have fewer pieces of clothing that are better quality. I also occasionally wear skirts and heels. If I am meeting with friends, I make a lot more of an effort. There is no reason why DS should be the only one to look great.

In summer I live in dresses. They are so easy to get in and out, and make complete outfits.

jgenie
01-10-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm pregnant now so I live in my maternity jeans with long sleeve shirts and t-shirts. The cold weather uniform I will go back to when I can fit in my clothes again is generally jeans or khakis and a turtleneck. I like jackets so I have several that I can throw over the tnecks to dress them up. In the warm weather I generally wear khakis or skorts and simple cotton tops. In the warm weather I wear sandals or ballet flats and in the winter I wear sketchers or boots if I'm not babywearing. I won't leave the house without doing my hair and makeup although I don't do much so it only takes about 10 minutes to do both. I always wear earrings (usually studs), my wedding ring and engagement ring, a watch, a simple filigree gold band on my right hand and a bracelet.

jray
01-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I have three 5 and under so on the days I'm home I'm wearing terry track suits or yoga sweats and a hoodie. Shoes are sneakers or uggs. I'm in survival mode! Ha!

Work days I'm usually pretty trendy in work casual and heels. I don't wear jeans or slacks without them.

I prefer my comfy days. Sometimes we are all in our jammies all day! :)

egoldber
01-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Well, my mom uniform is the same as my pre-mom uniform: jeans and a t-shirt. ;) Or yoga pants and a t-shirt. Tennis shoes or slip on Merrells/Keens.

Work days is slacks and a sweater or LE dress shirt. And dressy-ish flats. I don't do heels except for job interviews. Maybe if I had to give a presentation. Maybe.

ETA: I do wear make-up to work. Otherwise I don't wear make-up.

gatorsmom
01-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Dark jeans with different various hoodies. Anytime I see an unusual hoodie, I nab it. I recently got this one with a Xmas gift cert: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=CLOTHES-LOUNGEWEAR-TOPS&id=953726&catId=CLOTHES-LOUNGEWEAR&pushId=CLOTHES-LOUNGEWEAR&popId=CLOTHES&sortProperties=&navCount=170&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=011&colorName=IVORY&isSubcategory=true&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=

Cute sandals in the summer, boots in the winter. Cute flats inbetween.

I found these VERY FUN black, flat (they are flat platforms if that makes any sense) boots but the price is pretty astronmical. But ohhhh how I want them! http://www.donaldjpliner.com/store/item.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=178&ITEM_ID=2949

daisymommy
01-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Now THAT is one cute hoodie! I was thinking sweatshirt type of hoodie, which is what I'm guilty of wearing. But that's stylin' :thumbsup:

LexyLou
01-11-2010, 12:00 PM
One of my quick, cute, go to outfits is:

skinny jeans (or straight leg), ballet flats, a boyfriend cardigan, and a cute shirt under it.

Oh and in warm weather I wear a lot of sun dresses or maxi dresses which my husband not so lovingly called my mumu's. But I think hubby would be happy if I wore a skin tight mini skirt every day. *rolling eyes*