PDA

View Full Version : Do U ever buy big purchases dh disapproves of?

tmarie
01-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I would really like to know how many of you do this, if any....

I WANT an iphone. Didn't get one for xmas. My bday is this weekend, and again, no iphone. In the history of our marriage, I have never wanted an 'item' so badly. I am not working right now, and in the process of looking for a job. I've tried convincing him I need something more than a regular cell phone for the job search. My contract doesn't expire with AT&T until Aug., so it would be $400-600 to purchase an iphone now. This morning dh went out and purchased a $400 snow blower (we didn't have one). Grrrrrrrr. He views it as a neccessity, but we've gotten along without it for three years.

Neither one of us make purchases over $300 without consulting each other, since I haven't been working. It just makes our marriage work better. He'll get over it if I go out an get one, right? Oh, and did I mention that he has an iphone (through work of course) that he is on CONSTANTLY? Am I being unreasonable?.....

tmarie

catpagmo
01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Hmmm. Well, I think that $400-$600 seems really high for an iphone. If that's due to your contract not expiring until August, I would wait until August. I know you really want one, but August is not that far off.

As far as the snowblower thing goes, I would be ok with it because DH is using it for the household (even though it's a man-toy, it's still benefiting all of us by being able to get out of the driveway). I really appreciate when my DH shovels the driveway, and he has a bad back. So a snowblower would be ok with me.

Now, if he bought something else, like a Wii or whatever, I would be totally annoyed.

I wouldn't buy something really expensive w/o DH knowing unless it was my money, and only my money.

Globetrotter
01-09-2010, 12:57 PM
I would just wait until August, because there is no reason to pay $400-600 for an iphone. Then again, I'm the Queen of Deferred Purchasing. I really want one, too, but we decided the monthly costs were too high.

DebbieJ
01-09-2010, 12:58 PM
We have a budget in our house. If it fits in the budget, then fine.

Something like an Iphone would have to come out of my "fun money" budget and the monthly expense would have to fit somewhere, so we would have a conversation about it.

JBaxter
01-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I would wait till aug but Im frugal like that. BUT I would NEVER pay 400-600 for a phone of any kind I think my blackberry was $49 w/ contract. I wanted it but did wait till my contract allowed for a new phone option.
Sorry but I agree that a snowblower would out rank a iPhone here too.

daniele_ut
01-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I would wait till aug but Im frugal like that. BUT I would NEVER pay 400-600 for a phone of any kind I think my blackberry was $49 w/ contract. I wanted it but did wait till my contract allowed for a new phone option.
Sorry but I agree that a snowblower would out rank a iPhone here too.

ITA. Sorry. My dh spends an average of 2 hours shoveling when it snows so if he said he needed a snowblower, I wouldn't even blink about it. $300 is nothing for a snowblower, BTW. Most of the ones I've looked at are in the $900-$1200 range. If he said he wanted a very expensive phone that would be cheaper in 6 months, I would tell him to wait.

mariza
01-09-2010, 01:08 PM
I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I would wait too. It's one thing to pay $300 for an item I really wanted that I could not get for less. It's another to know that if I waited 6 months I would get said item for a fraction of the cost.

lchang25000
01-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Hmmm. Well, I think that $400-$600 seems really high for an iphone. If that's due to your contract not expiring until August, I would wait until August. I know you really want one, but August is not that far off.

As far as the snowblower thing goes, I would be ok with it because DH is using it for the household (even though it's a man-toy, it's still benefiting all of us by being able to get out of the driveway).
:yeahthat:DH recently bought a $750 snowblower and I was fine with that since it's for the house. I would wait until August for the Iphone also.

jgenie
01-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Sorry to say but I would wait for my contract to be up before getting the Iphone.

vludmilla
01-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I have an iphone and I do like it a lot but it is NOT worth $400-600. I'd wait until August.

wellyes
01-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Get an ipod touch instead - get a reburb 2nd gen, they are up at the apple store now. Comes with full warranty. $150 for 8 gb, $200 for 16 gb (that's the one I have & recommend) or $250 for 32 gb. There are some advantages to the iphone but not worth $200+ OR waiting a half year.

That's what I'd do.

As for whether I'd do anything he disapproves of....... well, I work part time, and he wishes I worked more. That is a hell of lot more money than any apple product. But it was important to me. After much discussion, we agree to disagree, and have moved on. I don't think you have to agree about every purchase/expense, and I don't think you need a spouse's permission to make any move financially, but you do have to respect one another's choices.

tmarie
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=wellyes;2589678]Get an ipod touch]

Okay. I can see from all the overwhelming responses that maybe dh's perspective on this isn't unreasonable. :) Can anyone explain to me the distinctions between an ipod touch and an iphone...is it just the phone? I just looked at the apple site. Do you need to purchase a data plan with the touch I'm assuming. I am so not technically savvy, which is why I'm lusting an apple product! I would like to be able to access my email from wherever, whenever.....

TIA!!!
tmarie

Elilly
01-09-2010, 01:48 PM
First, I'd be PO'd about the snow blower. Granted, we're in Indianapolis and only get a couple of big snows per year. So, it's totally manageable with 2 snow shovels :) Secondly, I'm looking for a new job too and am managing with my 3 year old Verizon phone. I know how it is to really want something (I've been not so patiently waiting for a water softener for 3 years!!!) but I'd play it safe and not get the phone AND make your DH ttake the snowblower back!

wellyes
01-09-2010, 01:55 PM
iphone has a phone and a camera. ipod touch does not.
iphone has anytime web access. ipod touch does not - you have to be in a wireless internet zone, or work offline.
iphone requires a data plan. ipod touch - no monthy fee necessary.
otherwise identical.

Biggest PITA to me is not having anytime wifi since that means no GPS. Otherwise, working offline is no big deal. I just update my apps in the morning before I leave home.

spanannie
01-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I would wait until August. I had to wait a year to get my iPhone. My Verizon contract wasn't up for a year, when I started to really want one. I finally got mine in Oct.

My husband would flip if he knew that I spent $400-600 on a phone that would be much less in a few months. I do make expensive purchases w/o asking, but he'd still flip if I did that.

ETA I LOVE my iPhone and it's worth the wait!

tmarie
01-09-2010, 02:00 PM
iphone has a phone and a camera. ipod touch does not.
iphone has anytime web access. ipod touch does not - you have to be in a wireless internet zone, or work offline.
iphone requires a data plan. ipod touch - no monthy fee necessary.
otherwise identical.

Biggest PITA to me is not having anytime wifi since that means no GPS. Otherwise, working offline is no big deal. I just update my apps in the morning before I leave home.

Thank you so much for those clarifications--that's exactly what I was looking for! It sounds like the only thing I would be missing then, that I'm interested, is constant access to email and better ability to text (my current phone is traditional style and takes forever to text with). Thank you!!

ett
01-09-2010, 02:04 PM
I agree with PPs that I would wait until August or find a cheaper option if you need something right now.

As for the snowblower, whether that was a necessity would depend on how much snow you get, how long your driveway is, and if there are any health risks that might occur from your DH shoveling (ie hurting his back).

DH and I would definitely consult each other on a $400 purchase, even if it was a household necessity.

Globetrotter
01-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I have a Touch. i call it the poor man's iphone because it doesn't require the pricey data plan (ouch). I haven't had much luck accessing the internet on this, but it's great otherwise. I think I must be slow to learn, though, as I have a hard time even in hot spots... not sure why.

tmarie
01-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I have a Touch. i call it the poor man's iphone because it doesn't require the pricey data plan (ouch). I haven't had much luck accessing the internet on this, but it's great otherwise. I think I must be slow to learn, though, as I have a hard time even in hot spots... not sure why.

Thanks for sharing this. The Touch is in the mix now....I think we'll go look at them tonight. Blackberry or ITouch.....hmmm.

jent
01-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Thank you so much for those clarifications--that's exactly what I was looking for! It sounds like the only thing I would be missing then, that I'm interested, is constant access to email and better ability to text (my current phone is traditional style and takes forever to text with). Thank you!!

Yep, pretty much that. You can check your email whenever you have wireless access. And there are even texting apps that you can use when you have wireless access.

wellyes
01-09-2010, 02:22 PM
OT but for Globetrotter - WifiTrak is a GREAT app for getting hooked up fast in hotspots.