PDA

View Full Version : Uniform spin-off

Nooknookmom
01-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Whats up with Clogs??? Maybe it's where I live but I've never seen anyone wear them. I do remember in the 90's a clog surge came through briefly, they fell off of my feet, and I never looked back.

Am I missing something??

Laurel
01-09-2010, 05:03 PM
It's probably too hot where you are for the "trend" to have caught on, but Dansko-style clogs seem to have become the ubiquitous "mom shoe" in the last 10 years or so. You will also see them on nurses, waitresses, anyone who spends time on their feet, etc.

I wear them almost every day and have since college in the late 90's. I also think they are frumpy and wish I could stand to wear less comfortable/more exciting shoes.

tnrnchick74
01-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I have several pairs of Dankso - clogs mostly, but also some of their loafers and sandals. I love them! I have HORRIBLE feet and have to use special arch supports, etc.

Are they frumpy - probably, but at least I can walk!

SnuggleBuggles
01-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I heard about them being popular here but IRL I never noticed them...until last year/ ds1's new school. The moms there all wear them. Many of them have the full uniform described here. Sorry, I just can't bring myself to wear them. :)

Beth

StantonHyde
01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I have lived in mine since DS started walking!! I am on my feet too much and I need lots of support. Fortunately, I work in a hospital and most of the moms I know work in healthcare so we are all in clogs. We think we're fancy when we buy the patent leather ones!! Even though I work in administration, I still wear clogs with my pant suits--as do many folks. I wear the Dansko sandals in the summer--too hot to wear clogs.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
I am going to Nursing School in a few years, and I am sure I will were the heck out of Danskos. Crocs, Uggs, and tennis shoes are popular here. Crunch mom's LOVE crocs. Teva sandals were invented in Flag, the inventor still lives here and Decker's owns Teva and Uggs so they are popular! I know people that get 70% employee discounts here in town!

brittone2
01-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I like my Danskos (Marcelle). However, I have really, really small feet (can fit in a women's 5 in a boot or sneaker, but walk out of a pump or ballet flat in size 5), so I'm left with the options of very expensive european shoes, old lady shoes, kid shoes, or "speciality" catalogs that cater to women with small feet (and often have pretty hideous choices anyway) in order to get a size 4-4.5 in women's shoes.

So...for me, footwear always ends up having to be a fairly practical choice. I can't spend $200 for designer pumps in super small sizes. I don't think Danskos are super fashionable, but I love mine anyway. I'll never be someone with a big shoe wardrobe. I just don't have that many options.

infomama
01-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Sorry, I just can't bring myself to wear them. :)
:yeahthat:. Keens and Merrells have the great arch support that I need and they are much more 'me'.

Ceepa
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I prefer clogs to sneaker-mary jane hybrids with the straps-zig-zagging-everywhere turned out in some "punchy" color. I just don't get them.

I don't see clogs a lot here.

g-mama
01-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I never see anyone wear them either.

Corie
01-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I have 2 old pairs of Dansko clogs that I bought about 10 years ago.
I was working at a catalog at the time and I got them for 50% off.

I have worn them about 10 times in the past 10 years. And every single
time I wear them, I fall down. For some reason, I get tripped up and my
ankle twists and I hit the ground. It's so embarrassing! So, I never
wear them.

Now, they are too small since my feet grew after I had kids.

MelissaTC
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
They are pretty popular around here. I love them but I have been wearing clogs since college when I bought my first pair of old school black suede and wood clogs.

SnuggleBuggles
01-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Don't your feet get wet and/ or cold since they are partially exposed?

Also, I have tried Merrel slides and my feet slip out the back or I twist my ankle. Goodness knows I can't run after ds2 easily in them. Maybe clogs are different?

Beth

Melaine
01-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I had some clogs in highschool that I really loved and they were so comfy, but I agree about your foot sliding out. I think that would be an issue if I wore them now. Maybe there is a heel so your foot is sliding downhill?

They don't seem to be popular in my area, but I am certainly not on the cutting edge of fashion!

WitMom
01-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I just got a pair of Dansko Marcelle for Christmas, and I love them. I don't care if others like them or not. They make me happy, and that's why I wear what I wear. Having said that, I haven't seen any other moms in the area wearing them, or the "traditional" style Danskos, either.

MamaMolly
01-09-2010, 11:00 PM
I noticed a lot of moms wearing them when I had DD1. Some time last year or the year before I 'caved' and bought my Danskos or Sanitas maybe? Anyway, they are the.most.comfortable shoe I have ever, ever worn. I thought they were fugly but wanted to be 'cool' and found a good price, then the next weekend we went to the DC car show for 6+hours of walking. My feet didn't hurt a bit, and normally walking that much would have made my feet ache! Even DH was amazed when I told him my feet weren't even tired as we left the show! I'm a true, true convert.

StantonHyde
01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
The Professional clogs have a closed back. I agree, no open back for me!

MichelleRC
01-11-2010, 05:37 PM
I got 2 pair of the Dansko Professional oiled clogs 2 years ago (after reading about them here) and am thinking about the Marcelles next. I have not seen anyone in my area wearing them, but they are really comfortable and make me a little taller :)

spanannie
01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Whats up with Clogs??? Maybe it's where I live but I've never seen anyone wear them. I do remember in the 90's a clog surge came through briefly, they fell off of my feet, and I never looked back.

Am I missing something??

I don't personally know anyone IRL that wears clogs other than nurses, hairstylists, etc.

TonFirst
01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
I didn't start riding the Dansko train until my daughter was born, and my push present (nasty term, that) was a whalloping case of plantars fasciitis. Now, they're my go-to everyday shoe, especially when it's cold and I want to wear socks. I wear the Professionals, fwiw.

khalloc
01-11-2010, 08:59 PM
i hate clogs. I did have a pair of suede ones from JCrew in the mid-late 90's when i was in college, but never really wore them. They are kind of big around here too.

kozachka
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
I either don't see people wear clogs in my area, or I don't notice them. I admit to not getting certain trends, such as Crocs. I prefer my shoes more delicate, and I wear sneaker type shoes when I need to walk a lot (e.g. for sightseeing when I travel). I just got Cole Haan Air Bria Stitch Mary Janes (mine (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/Cole Haan Air Bria Stitch Mary Janes) are all leather). Even though they are not the prettiest shoes you can find they are very comfortable and are about as much as I am willing to sacrifice for comfort.