PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Teak Flooring? Anyone have it?

lilycat88
01-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Looking for BTDT. We're pretty sure that's what we're going with but are looking for feedback from anyone who has it.

Thanks!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Go to Thathomesite.com under flooring!

Snow mom
01-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Teak is lovely wood, but it's really an environmental travesty to use it for something like indoor flooring (well, really it's a horrible tree to cut for anything but things like boats and outdoor furniture at least benefit from it's anti-rot properties.) Brazilian teak-- just makes me think about the rainforest that was cleared for pretty floors. Sorry, thought I'd throw it out there as something to consider...

spanannie
01-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Looking for BTDT. We're pretty sure that's what we're going with but are looking for feedback from anyone who has it.

Thanks!

Yes, I have Cumaru. It is beautiful, very hard & durable, and it still looks in top condition at 5.5 years old. I would choose it again, in a heartbeat.

Naranjadia
01-10-2010, 01:39 AM
We have it also. Love it. We let the kids run rough-shod over it and it still looks good, but we will be refinishing it in 12-15 years.

The Forest Stewardship Council (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Stewardship_Council) certifies sustainably grown teak. Most teak now is cultivated on forestry plantations in the tropics as opposed to harvested from old-growth teak.

lilycat88
01-10-2010, 01:39 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I try not to form opinions about others and what they consider in their decision making without knowing the entire story.

We made our decision based on the needs and desires of our family combined with research on suppliers/mills using sustainable forestry practices (both socially and environmentally) and the advice/input of our certified green builder.

Teak is lovely wood, but it's really an environmental travesty to use it for something like indoor flooring (well, really it's a horrible tree to cut for anything but things like boats and outdoor furniture at least benefit from it's anti-rot properties.) Brazilian teak-- just makes me think about the rainforest that was cleared for pretty floors. Sorry, thought I'd throw it out there as something to consider...

lilycat88
01-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Thank for the input. We were told of the durability by our builder and supplier but wanted some BTDT experience. We like that there is no stain used on the wood, the durability and the amazing color variations. We're trying to work with existing wood crown molding/doors/trim, etc. We don't want to replace any of the wood we don't have to. The teak will blend in well so only the necessary things (floor) will be replaced. We're replacing some old carpet mainly because of allergy issues.

Thanks again.