PDA

View Full Version : RF Incline for a 9 month old???

choopi
01-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Does a RF carseat have to be totally reclined for an older infant?

My daughter is 9 1/2 months old. I tried out a Alpha Omega Elite RF in my Saturn and there was no way I could get it to recline so that the line was parallel to the ground, even with the front passenger seat all the way forward!

Will she be as safe if the carseat is more upright?

jjordan
01-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Generally with older babies (yours qualifies as "older"), you can be as upright as 30*. For reference, the angle between the hands on a clock at 1:00 is 30*.

KrisM
01-09-2010, 11:18 PM
More upright is actually safer for older kids, as more of the force will be perpendicular to their spine instead of along their spine. The 45 deg recline is for infants so that their airway doesn't get closed off making it difficult to breathe.

So, yes, more upright is completely fine at 9 months.

GraceH
01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Also, if you just acquired the Alpha Omega, I would consider returning it for a different seat (we have many 'budget recommendations' if you need them), as I have found the RF install on the AOE to be PITA or near impossible in many vehicles.

If you need to keep it for other reasons, ask for install tips (such as many of those models have a base that can be removed for a better RF install).