PDA

View Full Version : Radian questions (harness and headwings)

elektra
01-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Harness-
I about had a heart attack tonight when I realized that the harness was totally loose still and could be pulled way far away from DD!
I had read up on the whole "pull from the back" thing to tighten it, so I was prepared for that. I pulled from the back and then did the firm tugs on the adjuster to tighten the slack in the back. So I thought I was all set and had been driving around like that all day. But then tonight, after I tightened everything up, I pulled the chest clip out to test the tightness and it just pulled all the way back out! WTH?
It appears that the "default" position for the harness loosener is in the "loose" position when RF, whereas the Britaxes automatically stay in the "tight" position. It's like since the Radian is RF, you have to pull up instead of down on the adjuster and that flips the loosening lever up. (Anyone KWIM???)
There was NOWHERE in the directions that explained this.
So I am supposed to just push down on the adjuster lever to "lock" it back down?

Headwings-
DD's shoulders are well above the 3rd slots from the bottom but the headwings don't seem to be going down far enough. Should I just push them all the way back up? What's the rule on how high the head wings are before they are too high?

And then here's the thing on this topic- DD doesn't seem to be all that far from the 4th slots. If she was FF, she would for sure be on the 4th. But the wings would be WAY up above her head if she was using those ones, since as things are right now using the 3rd slots, the 4th slots are completely obscured by the headwings. At this rate how will the headwings ever be in the right spot?
Does my child just have an abnormally short neck???
I took some pictures with my iphone but they didn't show up that well. I'll try to get some better pictures.

Joolsplus2
01-10-2010, 10:42 AM
That really doesn't sound right, that harness adjuster thing. Mine's never just randomly been loose... if you play with it a few times more do you think you'll figure out what's wrong? I wouldn't want to use the seat again if it just loosened by itself, sounds defective, the way you describe it :/
The headwings don't seem to ever line up with kids head the way a dialing adjuster does... I'd probably leave them down, even if they seem too high, because in a crash the seat will still rotate down, kiddo ramp up, and then go to the side, so being a bit high isn't a problem.

elektra
01-10-2010, 02:34 PM
That really doesn't sound right, that harness adjuster thing. Mine's never just randomly been loose... if you play with it a few times more do you think you'll figure out what's wrong? I wouldn't want to use the seat again if it just loosened by itself, sounds defective, the way you describe it :/

Well crap. I just went back out and played around with the seat, loosening and tightening without DD. It seemed fine just now. But it also is way easier to loosen and tighten without her in there. Maybe I pull so hard on the strap to tighten that it somehow makes the lever not want to go back down all the way?
So should I contact Sunshine Kids? Just return the seat to Diapers.com and ask for a replacement?

elektra
01-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks again Jools. Hoping someone else might have had experience with this too.
I think I am going to contact Sunshine Kids.

arivecchi
01-11-2010, 02:07 PM
I have had a heck of time adjusting the harness but it stays really tight. They should have an easier adjustment mechanism. That is my only gripe about this seat.

arivecchi
01-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Re: headwings, make sure you have a clear view of the "channel" that the headwings move on underneath the cover. Mine seemed stuck above a certain point until I had a clear view and pushed them hard past the point they were stuck. They are a little easier to move now although mine are now all the way up since DS2 is on the second slot from the bottom.