PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek fans... 2009 movie (mild spoliers)

o_mom
01-10-2010, 05:41 PM
OK, so I'm late to the party, we finally got around to watching Star Trek (2009).

I know there were tons of people that loved it, but I don't know how I feel about it. I think it was well done - excellent movie, casting, etc. But the whole freakin' thing has me feeling like JR got shot. A whole bunch of 'can't make it fit so we'll just start something completely different' that I just can't shake. It's like years of history - not just the movies, but the TV shows, books, etc. are just *poof*.

Am I the only one?

kayte
01-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Well technically it's not all gone, it exists too, since Spook came from there. But I agree with you that it's Tasha Yar back from the dead or another Voyager with 90% of her crew dead crossing into the timeline you know... But this time we are asked to follow the tangent not the original. You know there is a whole existence (an existence you are comfortable with) you are missing out on....

But my thought about it is this.... I enjoy the brand but it needed a stick in the arm of something... The last Next Gen movie wasn't that great , Voyager ran it's own course so nothing new can come of that and I never really got into Enterprise... SO I find myself glad they have gone to back what they know what works--the characters from the original are fabulous mix--they always have been --- and for all the crazy timeline mix-ups , over the top expensive action scenes I think they did a fantastic job of preserving those characters in the movie. And I am willing to follow those characters into the next movie.

JMHO.

DrSally
01-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Well technically it's not all gone, it exists too, since Spook came from there.

That's true :ROTFLMAO: I liked it b/c it was a bit of old and new, and opened up a lot of new storyline possibilities, KWIM? I hope there are more movies coming up. I really loved Quinto's rendition of Spok. And, how cool was it that Nemoy was in this movie? I read a review that went something alone these lines..."old Spok and new Spok meet---and Star Trek fans reach nirvana" :ROTFLMAO:

o_mom
01-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Well technically it's not all gone, it exists too, since Spook came from there. But I agree with you that it's Tasha Yar back from the dead or another Voyager with 90% of her crew dead crossing into the timeline you know... But this time we are asked to follow the tangent not the original. You know there is a whole existence (an existence you are comfortable with) you are missing out on.... .

This is it right here. :) The TNG, Voyager, etc. were all new characters with no expectations so it doesn't necessarily matter where they messed up history. I just keep thinking about if Kirk (and the others) can be 'Kirk' without the experiences that he had in the original 'past'. There was seriously a whole lot of DH and I going 'but Spock's mother needs to do this thing later' and 'how are they going to fix this???' It's just really unsatisfying, lol. :p
Of course, I also just watched the latest Dr. Who episodes which were all about messed up timelines, but since that expectation of continuity isn't there it doesn't bug me.

But my thought about it is this.... I enjoy the brand but it needed a stick in the arm of something... The last Next Gen movie wasn't that great , Voyager ran it's own course so nothing new can come of that and I never really got into Enterprise... SO I find myself glad they have gone to back what they know what works--the characters from the original are fabulous mix--they always have been --- and for all the crazy timeline mix-ups , over the top expensive action scenes I think they did a fantastic job of preserving those characters in the movie. And I am willing to follow those characters into the next movie.

JMHO.

Absolutely they needed something and I think it will be interesting to see how well they can sustain it. I'll be back - haven't missed one yet. Funny you mention the last TNG movie. It was on TV a couple months ago and DH and I kept asking each other if we had seen it. We had, it was just that unmemorable.