PDA

View Full Version : chicken + salsa in slow cooker

lmh2402
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
i read in a dinner thread that a number of people say they put chicken + salsa and some other stuff in the slow cooker for a quick & easy meal prep

can someone give more details?

what exactly do you put in? for how long? do you brown chicken first?

thanks

hollybloom24
01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
This was from Real Simple a year or so ago. I sometimes use chicken breasts instead of pork:

Slow Cooked Pulled Pork Tacos
Serves six

• 2 cups store-bought salsa, plus more for serving
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 tablespoons dried oregano
• 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• kosher salt
• 1 2 1/2-pound boneless pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
• 18 corn tortillas
• 1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
• 3/4 cup sour cream
• 1 lime, cut into wedges

In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the salsa, chili powder, oregano, cocoa, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the pork and turn to coat.

Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.

Twenty minutes before serving, heat oven to 350° F.

Stack the tortillas, wrap them in foil, and bake until warm, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, using 2 forks, shred the pork and stir into the cooking liquid. Serve with the tortillas, cilantro, sour cream, lime, and extra salsa.

DebbieJ
01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
I threw some frozen chicken breasts in there, dumped on some salsa (2 cups max) and cooked all day on low.

elizabethkott
01-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I usually do 4 chicken breasts, 2 16oz jars of salsa, 1 can black beans (drained) and 1 can kernel corn (drained). On low for 6-7 hours, shred chicken, cook again for 30min-1hour.
Yummytastic!

boolady
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I usually do 4 chicken breasts, 2 16oz jars of salsa, 1 can black beans (drained) and 1 can kernel corn (drained). On low for 6-7 hours, shred chicken, cook again for 30min-1hour.
Yummytastic!

I do this, but also put in either a packet of taco seasoning or a few tablespoons of Penzey's taco seasoning, based on seeing that somewhere here.

maydaymommy
01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Chicken (I've used boneless/skinless breasts from the fridge, as well as frozen wit!h skin & bone - cooked both all day on low)

Salsa

I've added a can of drained rinsed black beans.

I've done it adding some canned or frozen corn near the end of cooking.

I've also been adding cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup (healthy varieties of either)

Could.Not.Be.Easier with such yummy results!

lmh2402
01-10-2010, 07:07 PM
thanks, ladies

so are you all shredding it?

if so, do you server with tortialls?

what else do you serve?

was thinking i would just put pieces of chicken over rice with a side veggie

but that might not work if it's all shredded

kellyd
01-10-2010, 07:13 PM
I just do chicken and salsacooked on low all day. Serve over rice w/cheese, sour cream and chopped up green onions.

urquie
01-10-2010, 07:21 PM
thanks, ladies

what else do you serve?

we've made it before with great results. for the first nights meal i just pull out the breasts and serve them whole, with some sauce. after that, i shred it. here's an old post of mine...

Salsa Chicken (in a crockpot)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 15 1/2 oz jars of salsa (whatever degree of "hot" you like)
1 15oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 15oz can kernel corn
Put it all in the crock pot on low for about 7 hours.
Remove the chicken and shred with 2 forks.
Return chicken to crock pot for 1/2 hour.
Serve either over brown rice or on tortillas with sour cream, cheddar cheese, guacamole, etc.
It's AWESOME, EASY and there are a lot of leftovers! And the great thing about the crock pot is that you can just reduce the temp to "keep warm" and then you don't have to reheat.

My changes -
Used two extra chicken breasts –mine were small
Sprinkled chicken with salt, pepper and a good amount of cumin
Extra can of black beans
1 can of diced tomatoes - eliminated 1 jar of salsa (am using TJ’s roasted tomatoes with green chilies tonight)
Chicken bullion - 1 packet of TJ's low sodium or 1-2 cubes

Then I cleaned out the fridge and added -
½ a small can of diced green chilies
½ a yellow onion
1 yellow bell pepper

First night -
In a bowl with sour cream

For left-overs we drained the liquid and then had it -
- In a tortilla with avocado and lettuce
- In enchiladas - served over a bed of shredded romaine and tomatoes with a sour cream/salsa/lime juice dressing and guacamole on top. For enchiladas, just roll some filling in tortillas, cover with some store bought enchilada or mole sauce and some shredded cheese and baked.
- As a topping for nachos on Superbowl Sunday
- Never got around to using it for a taco salad

Every meal from this was really great and we never felt like we were eating leftovers.

elektra
01-10-2010, 07:32 PM
thanks, ladies

what else do you serve?

It's more for a taco-type of meal. It becomes the taco filling, so yes, you serve it inside tortillas with cheese and/or sourcream (tomatoes, lettuce, etc.) on top

So if you leave chicken in the crockpot for the 8 or so hours it basically becomes all shredded without much effort on your part. It all just pulls apart with a fork.

lmh2402
01-10-2010, 09:20 PM
So if you leave chicken in the crockpot for the 8 or so hours it basically becomes all shredded without much effort on your part. It all just pulls apart with a fork.

excellent point - i should have probably figured that!

thanks, all

LarsMal
01-10-2010, 09:31 PM
I do:
3-4 chicken breast (up to 1.5 pounds)
large can of pineapple tidbits- drained
large jar of salsa (I use the big Tostitos jar of medium)
can of black beans- not drained

I brown the chicken for a few minutes on each side, throw everythig in the slow cooker, and cook on low for about 6 hours. About a 1/2 hour or so before it's done I take the chicken out, shred it, and put it back in.

It's good rolled up in a fajita or on top of rice (or w/rice in the fajita!). Top with cheese, guac, sour cream...YUM!!!

bubbaray
01-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Had this tonight after a full day of downhill skiing.

OMG, BOTH girls ate it. You have NO IDEA how huge that its. My kids live on air, they eat nothing. They really liked it.

4 chicken breasts at bottom of slow cooker, 1 can of black beans, 1 can corn nibblets, 1 jar mild salsa. 7.5 hrs on low. Mixed in some left over rice and that was it! Even DH loved it.

Thanks mommas! This is huge huge huge. My kids ate dinner! Yeah me!

newg
01-10-2010, 09:43 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am totally making this this week!!

DD and I are off to the grocery store tomorrow to pick up the ingredients!!

infomama
01-10-2010, 09:46 PM
This is what I do.

6 skinless boneless chicken breasts
Salsa (I use the garden salsa from Costco and use about 1/2- 3/4 of the jug)..it should almost cover the chicken.
Corn (you can use cooked corn off the cob, TJ has a great fire roasted frozen corn or there is a canned corn called 'Summer Crisp' that is awesome)..use as much as you like
1 can black beans rinsed
1 can pinto beans rinsed
cumin (about 2-3 tsp or a small palm..I never measure)
chili powder (same amount as cumin)
salt to taste

cook on high in a crock put for a few hours (maybe 4) until the chicken is cooked then shred the chicken with two forks, mix it all together and add a bit more salsa. After about another hour it's ready! Eat it over rice or in a burrito. Add shredded cheese, taco sauce, sour cream...whatever floats your boat!

So good.

LarsMal
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Add shredded cheese, taco sauce, sour cream...whatever floats your boat!

So good.

HAHAHAHA!!!! You edited your "typo". I was cracking up reading it, wondering where you find a$$ shredded cheese!!

infomama
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!! You edited your "typo". I was cracking up reading it, wondering where you find a$$ shredded cheese!!
How did you see that? I thought I was fast enough!! a$$ shredded cheese would probably ruin the dish :wink2:

R2sweetboys
01-10-2010, 11:10 PM
We do 3-4 frozen chicken breasts,1 can corn drained, 1 can black beans drained, and a large jar of salsa on low all day. A half hour or so before eating we shred the chicken (which is very easy as it's so tender) and add a block of cream cheese to melt, stir before serving. Doesn't look pretty but tastes yummy! We've tried serving on corn tortillas, over rice, over egg noodles,etc. My 6YO likes to scoop it up and eat it with tortilla chips. Simple but tasty meal!

vonfirmath
01-11-2010, 10:09 AM
i read in a dinner thread that a number of people say they put chicken + salsa and some other stuff in the slow cooker for a quick & easy meal prep

can someone give more details?

what exactly do you put in? for how long? do you brown chicken first?

thanks

1 jar Peach-Pineapple Salsa (safeway brand)
Chicken (Doesn't need to be pre-cooked. Should be boneless/bones taken out. Put in the amount you would like) -- cut it up into the size of bites you want.
Corn (1/2 to 2/3 a bag? really to taste)

Cover and cook on low all day.

Server over tortilla chips (or rice) Put cheese on it.

Yum.

Clarity
01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
I add sliced green pepper and onion, a jar of salsa, and 3-4 chicken breasts. Cooked all day and then served with chopped cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheddar and tortilla chips. YUM!
Although....I might have to do this again soon trying it with black beans. And the Real Simple recipe looks fabulous and really easy too.

hillview
01-11-2010, 03:21 PM
It is in my crock pot now. 2 jars salsa. 1.25 lbs chicken, can of black beans and can of black olives. Been in for 4 hrs and is starting to come apart nicely. It is somewhat soup like so I am hoping it thickens up. I also turned down from high to medium (2 settings). I plan to serve with cheese on top on a tortilla I think ...
Thanks all!!
/hillary

maydaymommy
01-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I love these recipe threads, and also the What's For Dinner threads like there was a few days ago.

Any way to put them someplace consolidated - like Cooking, maybe?

catpagmo
01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
This is in my crock pot, too! I also did almost 2 full jars of salsa, corn, and black beans. Did add salt and pepper to the chicken first, also.

Can't wait to try it!

srhs
01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
We do this as a hearty "soup." I'm excited to try all the variations here because DS2 did not handle chili well, so I've been avoiding beans.

1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 4 oz can green chilies
1 c. taco sauce
4 frozen chicken breasts

Combine the first 5 ingredients in crockpot. Place frozen chicken breasts on top. Cook on low for 6-7 house. Remove chicken breasts to plate, shred into bite-size pieces and place back in crockpot. Serve in bowls with shredded cheese and taco chips. (and sour cream for me)

catpagmo
01-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Okay, I must have messed it up...mine was super watery. What did I do wrong? I used almost 2 jars of salsa, 1 can corn drained, and 1 can black beans drained. Too much salsa?

It was good, though, but I think I might like it more if it wasn't so watery.

infomama
01-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Okay, I must have messed it up...mine was super watery. What did I do wrong? I used almost 2 jars of salsa, 1 can corn drained, and 1 can black beans drained. Too much salsa?

It was good, though, but I think I might like it more if it wasn't so watery.
Not too much salsa. This is why I add some salsa in the beginning and more at the end. The first time I made this it I put in all the salsa at the beginning and it was so watery. I like having the luxury of accessing the dish (removing a little excess liquid) prior to the final addition of salsa. I also notice that after I shred the chicken, it soaks up a lot of the extra liquid but it may not always be the case.

catpagmo
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks infomama! Next time, I'll try that!

hillview
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Had this last night. BOTH BOYS LOVED IT. They had it over rice. I had it without rice. YUMMY!!

/hillary

liz
01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
I just tasted the recipe and it is fantastic! I used 4 skinless/boneless chicken breast, I jar (16 oz) of salsa, 1 can black beans (drained & rinsed), 1 can of corn (drained), 2 tsp each of cumin and chili powder. Reading a PP about the recipe being too watery, I drained the salsa a bit and reserved the liquid, just in case. I needn't have worried, 1 whole jar of salsa is perfect- the dish is moist, but doesn't make too much "sauce". Thanks to everyone for their recipes!

fauve01
01-15-2010, 02:59 AM
I just tasted the recipe and it is fantastic! I used 4 skinless/boneless chicken breast, I jar (16 oz) of salsa, 1 can black beans (drained & rinsed), 1 can of corn (drained), 2 tsp each of cumin and chili powder. Reading a PP about the recipe being too watery, I drained the salsa a bit and reserved the liquid, just in case. I needn't have worried, 1 whole jar of salsa is perfect- the dish is moist, but doesn't make too much "sauce". Thanks to everyone for their recipes!

this is almost the same way I do it too! I usually only use 3 chicken breasts (frozen) and sprinkle with taco or fajita seasoning. then same as you. I serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of shredded cheddar. YUMYUMYUM... it's like chicken taco stoup.

glad you liked it too!

anne

jacksmomtobe
01-15-2010, 08:07 AM
I made this the other night and everyone loved it. I really enjoyed just putting the stuff in the Crock Pot in the morning and not really having to worry about dinner the rest of the day. I served it the first night with rice and then after that in tortillas. The tortilla version tasted the best and was the dinner that everyone liked the most. DH actually agreed to having leftovers (the tortilla version) the next night which typically he never likes to have anything similiar two days in a row and he said this recipe should go in the "rotation". I put in 1 small jar of salsa, one can of corn, one can of beans along with the chicken at the start and then addded more salsa towards the end of cooking. Can't wait to get more easy crock pot recipes like this one!

taralynn819
02-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Made this last night, it's similar to the recipes you guys have posted here.

http://www.amanda.fakeginger.com/?p=1042

Instead of cream of mushroom I used cream of chicken soup. I also threw in a chopped green pepper an hour before it was done cooking.

We ate them like burritos/fajitas. Used wheat tortillas, brown rice, shredded cheddar cheese...the only thing that was missing was some black beans and corn or we'd have had all out Chipotle at home!

Husband said "keeper" so it's going in the file! I always struggle with what to do with boneless/skinless chicken besides eat it plain or in chicken spaghetti, which gets old really fast.