PDA

View Full Version : Best sippy cup?

catsnkid
01-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Don't think I've seen a thread on this.. DS is sort of getting the concept of a sippy. He is 7 months old. He currently drinks mostly breast milk and some formula at daycare out of AVENT bottles. When he was really sick & dehydrated we offered him some water from a playtex sippy that I got as a gift. That was okay, but I really don't like the little valve- something more to lose. I just bought a nuby sippy to try out, I like the concept of it, haven't tried it yet. What do you all use, and how many did you buy once you found one DC would use?

happymom
01-10-2010, 08:05 PM
There are definitely some old threads on this- try searching for "first sippy cup". But anyways, I like the Playtex First Sipster. I know othrs have recommended this one as well. I'm not sure if thats the one you are referring to- I never take the valve out so it doesnt get lost. Its a soft spout, the handles make it easy to hold, and best of all- it doesn't leak! I can literally throw it into my purse on the way out the door and not worry about anything getting wet. I buy mine at Target.

Here's a pic for you:
http://www.playtexbaby.com/about/what_moms_spillproofcups.aspx

Another popular one is the First Years Take n Toss cups. They are meant to be somewhat disposable, but I use them a few times before throwing out. I personally didnt like them as a first cup because of the hard spout. But now that DD is older, I use them at times when I may lose the cup. That way I dont have to feel bad if I do!

HTH

AlbrightRC
01-10-2010, 09:00 PM
we used a combination of the take & toss ones and the playtex ones that the last poster was talking about. we use the take & toss for milk ( i wash them and reuse them) and we were using the playtex ones for water..we had two of the playtex ones but my son has managed to break the spouts by biting them sideways they were the only sippy cups we could get him to use and now we have moved on to straw cups and we have 4 of the playtex insulater cups and 1 foogo straw cup.

newg
01-10-2010, 09:23 PM
DD didn't want to use a sippy cup............I have five or six different kinds in a box somewhere that she never liked.............I went out and bought a munchkin sippy straw cup and she loves them............that's all she drinks out of now............I like that it's easy to wash and put back together.

swrc00
01-10-2010, 09:26 PM
I loved the Nuby ones for DS at that age. Once DS turned one he preferred the Gerbers Sip and Smile or The First Years Sippy Cup.

http://www.gerber.com/products/Sip_Smile_Cups.aspx

These do have a valve.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3123895

These do not have a valve. They are my favorites.

DrSally
01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
When the kids were first learning to drink from a cup, we used Take n toss lil learners. They're short, so easier to lift and tip up, they have ridges to grip, and no valve.

slworld
01-10-2010, 10:36 PM
DS used the nuby No-Spill™ 2-Handled Soft Sipper Cup. We also tried the No-Spill™ Twin Handled 1st Cup Stage 2 but didn't like it as much. DS found it easier to drink from the soft spout ones rather than the hard ones.

We had 2 for home & 2 for daycare (milk & water) and they went into the dishwasher everyday.

hellokitty
01-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Nuby and platex sippies are my favorite. When they first start out, I like the nuby ones, b/c it is a soft silicone tip, so easier for them to learn how to suck on it (I have breastfed babies). Then I switch over to platex (usually they start fooling around with the silicone tip by a certain age on the nuby), which IMO are the most well made sippy cups, they are durable and do not leak. I've had horrible luck with some of the other brands.