PDA

View Full Version : Sending Flowers - Local or national service?

Claki
01-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Does anyone have a favorite site for sending flowers or know the best way to do it on a budget?

I need to send my mom a nice bouquet on Tuesday for her 60th birthday. I'm considering going through ebates and getting 10 percent cashback or calling up the only local florist in her town directly. Any recommendations or tips?

Swimfreak78
01-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Where are you sending it? I bet some Mama's might have local advice if we knew where you were sending. . . I've always had better luck going local vs 1-800 xxx

SnuggleBuggles
01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
When you do something like 1800 Flowers the order gets sent to a local florist who makes and delivers the arrangement. At least that's how it has worked in the past. So, florists that are signed up w/ that company will get your business.

Beth

bluestarfish18
01-10-2010, 09:16 PM
When you do something like 1800 Flowers the order gets sent to a local florist who makes and delivers the arrangement. At least that's how it has worked in the past. So, florists that are signed up w/ that company will get your business.

Beth

:yeahthat: Exactly how it's worked for us too.

octmom
01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I usually try to find a local florist and then call them and ask what they have in stock that is really fresh. I like to talk to a real, live person who knows what is in stock and looks good.

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-10-2010, 09:21 PM
When I used 1-800-flowers they were fed-ex'ed overnight, not sent from a local florist. Maybe that has changed since then? FTD is through local, I think.

alirebco
01-10-2010, 09:24 PM
I have used teleflora which uses local florists - you can even specify the particular shop. They come to the door already arranged in a vase. I think I went through ebates as well for cash back.

jerigirl
01-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I usually try to find a local florist and then call them and ask what they have in stock that is really fresh. I like to talk to a real, live person who knows what is in stock and looks good.

:yeahthat: yes. you also end up paying all sorts of "middle man" fees when you use 1 800 Flowers or similar set up so usually they are more expensive.

Cam&Clay
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
DH has spent a lot of our 3 years together in Iraq. He loves to send flowers but has had a lot of problems with the online companies (FTD, 1-800-FLOWERS, etc.). IF they sent it via a local florist, I usually received beautiful, fresh flowers on the day he requested. If, however, they send the flowers via UPS or another service from Florida, it was a nightmare. Our first Valentine's Day, my dozen roses were more than 4 days late...and dead. Even when he complained to FTD (and threw in the fact that he was in Iraq), they only offered to give him 20% his next order to compensate.

He finally gave up and contacts a local florist now. I think he has an account with them. That way he can guarantee the day of delivery.

Claki
01-10-2010, 10:34 PM
I just remembered about another florist in a nearby town who did the flowers for our wedding. My mom loves his work, so I know I won't go wrong if I call and get an arrangement from them. I completely forgot about them. Thanks for the input everyone.

viba424
01-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I would certainly deal with a local florist if you can. Also, if you cant find a florist you might even try the local grocery store. Thats what I do when I send something to my mom - they have a nice, simple floral department and to well with quickie phone orders. You might not get to see exactly what the arrangement looks like, but Ive always find they appreciate it when you ask them what they like and all you really need to know is how much you want to spend and what colors you like. I think its actually a better value too.

fortato
01-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Be extra careful when you order from an online place or over the phone and not directly with a florist- you don't know what the florist they use has in stock....

We ordered a bouquet that looked gorgeous online, but when it was sent, it was NOT what I expected at all. They can't guarantee that the container will be the same or that the flowers will be the same color... trust me.

If you have to order online or over the phone, order through Teleflora or FTD. They make sure to send certain vases and containers to their florists.

DrSally
01-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Be extra careful when you order from an online place or over the phone and not directly with a florist- you don't know what the florist they use has in stock....

We ordered a bouquet that looked gorgeous online, but when it was sent, it was NOT what I expected at all. They can't guarantee that the container will be the same or that the flowers will be the same color... trust me.

If you have to order online or over the phone, order through Teleflora or FTD. They make sure to send certain vases and containers to their florists.

I've had that experience too. I ordered online and they sent the order to a local florist. I was over at that person's house later and the bouquet was a ratty miss match with carnations and other "weedy" flowers. No offense to those that like carnations for $40+, I just don't prefer them. In the future, I would call the individual flower shop myself. I see you have a place that you can call, good! Good idea, too, pp, about calling grocery store florists. Their prices are usually very reasonable.