PDA

View Full Version : How long to let CD play in baby's room at night?

amldaley
01-10-2010, 11:56 PM
I want to try soothing music for DD at night. They use it with success at daycare.

For those who play classical, nature sounds, whatever...

Do you let the CD play out and end? Turn it off after a certain amount of time? Set it to "repeat" and play it all night long???

DrSally
01-10-2010, 11:58 PM
When I did it, I only played it for a short time. Longer, and I found that after DC's went to sleep, it could wake them up. Each child is different though. How long do they play it at daycare?

amldaley
01-11-2010, 12:02 AM
When I did it, I only played it for a short time. Longer, and I found that after DC's went to sleep, it could wake them up. Each child is different though. How long do they play it at daycare?

They play it throughout naptime - the whole two hours.

DrSally
01-11-2010, 12:07 AM
They play it throughout naptime - the whole two hours.

Oh, well, if that's working, maybe try that. Find out what type of music they play and try to replicate it. I found that some classical music was too stimulating for my DC's.

srhs
01-11-2010, 12:13 AM
We've been playing #5 (rain) in the HBOTB CD on repeat all night and naptime since 9 mo for DS1. He was so hard to get to sleep, once we started a routine, we never wanted to stop. It's also super-nice to have with us when we travel as I think it helps him adjust.

FWIW, though, there's a blurb in the BBB about a study that said white noise could lead to hearing trouble.

DietCokeLover
01-11-2010, 12:25 AM
We play an instrumental lullabye cd all night and throughout naptime. We also have white noise in the room too.

gatorsmom
01-11-2010, 12:34 AM
I played classical CDs for gator and Cha Cha all night long. They'd wake up if it turned off for some reason. Music didn't work well for Greenbean so I use a white noise machine and it plays all night long.

pinay
01-11-2010, 01:11 AM
We play classical music/lullabies all night long for DD. We used to live in a really noisy neighborhood so it helped to muffle some of those outdoor noises, and even though we've moved into a nice quiet area it's still part of her bedtime ritual.

klwa
01-11-2010, 07:55 AM
They play all night long. :) DS has a classical CD (including my favorite, Moonlight Sonata.) When DD was coming, I decided I'd like to hear something different in the night while nursing her or just rocking her if she had a bad dream, so I got a CD of "Sentimental Piano" music, or some such at Walmart. Now I just sing along to Moon River when I go in to her. :)

egoldber
01-11-2010, 08:18 AM
I have a music CD that plays when both kids are going down to sleep. It plays and then it is over. I also have a noise machine in both their rooms and that plays all night.

But we have the vaulted family room and without the noise machine the kids can hear every little noise downstairs. It isn't loud, just enough to make the occasional downstairs noise part of the background vs an interrruption.

lil_acorn
01-11-2010, 10:13 AM
We have a sleep timer and set it to 30-60 minutes.

catpagmo
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
DD listens to audiobooks on CD, which play from 15 mins to 1 hour, or so. It just depends on what she decides to listen to each night. Once the CD is over, it turns off automatically.

goldenpig
01-12-2010, 02:49 AM
We have a toddler clock that plays a 5 min story and then 30 min of music before shutting off.