PDA

View Full Version : Cake Decorating tools?

catroddick
01-11-2010, 12:46 AM
I just did a test run of a cake that I want to do for DD’s birthday, and thank goodness. Each one of my +/-15 year old cake decorating bags exploded on me, and I have tons of tips that don’t seem to go with anything.
Now, I am just getting into this whole cake decorating thing. And as someone who is not very creative or patient, I don’t see myself turning into an Ace of Cakes, or anything like it (though it looks like way more fun than my job!).
None the less, DH is totally in support of me going out and getting a new decorating set. My question is, do I want one of those decorating guns that looks so cool? Or do I want to stick with bags?
Guns look easy, assuming they keep working. But how much of a pain is it when you have multiple colors? Is it best to just stick with multiple bags and a good tip set?
Any advice?

trentsmom
01-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't know anything about the decorating guns, but I would think it would be easier to just use decorating bags and tips. I have a few of the Wilton bags, but I usually end up using a disposable bag. I took a cake decorating class years ago, and I bought this (http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30BE52-475A-BAC0-588FEBD8D8DC2DD3&fid=3E32CA30-475A-BAC0-512F6BB5C28339F5) at a craft store using a 40% off coupon (I don't think the price in the store is as high as the price online.). It's nice having one place to store all of my tools.

catroddick
01-11-2010, 03:10 PM
hmm... that is a cool set, and I do have a 40% off coupon!

DietCokeLover
01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
I have the same kit as pp. I love having all my things together as well.

I would go with bags. They are inexpensive and you already said you have tips. I would just figure out a few pieces that you would get the most use out of (large tip for decorating cupcakes, small star tip for small decor, icing color, etc).

If you have a hobby lobby near you, they often have a 40% off coupon on their website.

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I have two of these sets (http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=13835&catId=122&parentCatId=122&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=) from PC and people love the cakes I make with them (novice level for sure).

Thatchermom
01-11-2010, 04:36 PM
You can get a box of 100 disposable plastic bags that fit the tips and couplers at JoAnn's/Michaels/Hobby Lobby. They are 8 or 10 inch bags, and you don't have to clean them. When done, I cut the bag above the coupler so I can get it out and clean it and pitch the rest. I do have larger, non-disposable bags for my icing tips and for doing whipped cream, but the smaller re-usables that I have don't get much use. And I do a LOT of cakes. There's a lot more flexibility with bags than guns. We have used them to fill manicotti, cream puffs, and DH has even put caulking in one when he needed an exceptionally fine line. It worked!

catroddick
01-11-2010, 05:59 PM
well, I have no doubt that it is overkill, but I got the big Wilton set and I am VERY excited.
Better go decorate some cakes now! :D

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Do you have powdered food coloring to go along with your supplies? I love them!

Beth

KrisM
01-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I have that kit, too.

Buy a few extra couplers and if you use one type of tip a lot, buy more. I have 3 star tips and about 6 couplers. I have enough couplers to have a bag of every color and not have to wash them until I'm done. And, I have enough star tips to have a few colors of stars going at once.

Powdered food coloring...never heard of it. Where do you find it? I always use the gel stuff.

catroddick
01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Fortunately I had the forsight to pull all my old tips and couplers out of the trash where they ended up last night after my little fit. They are in the dishwasher now. That will give me 2 or 3 more couplers and a few more good tips.
I don't know about powdered coloring?

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Alton Brown taught me the merits of powdered food coloring so I had to go out and acquire some. :) I found at a cake supply specialty shop. It won't dilute your other ingredients or alter the consistency the way a gel or liquid can. Also, it lasts pretty much forever (nothing to dry out). I have really liked working with it. So, I know it isn't what you asked about but if you stumble across some while you are buying all the other stuff, you should pick it up.

Beth

trentsmom
01-11-2010, 07:36 PM
well, I have no doubt that it is overkill, but I got the big Wilton set and I am VERY excited.
Better go decorate some cakes now! :D

I would love some cake right now. Have fun decorating!

I've found powdered food coloring at the local chocolate shop - like the kind of place where you can get the supplies to make your own chocolates. I like that I can just pour in the coloring instead of digging some out with a toothpick.

KrisM
01-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I would love some cake right now. Have fun decorating!

I've found powdered food coloring at the local chocolate shop - like the kind of place where you can get the supplies to make your own chocolates. I like that I can just pour in the coloring instead of digging some out with a toothpick.

I think the brand of gel I use is American. Might be another word in there, too. But, it's a squeeze bottle, so digging it out.

I'm going to check out powdered stuff though!

Oh -and a tip for filling a bag - I use an empty Pringles can to put the plastic bag in and fold the edges over the can. It's much neater than trying to hold it in one hand.

happymom
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I think the brand of gel I use is American. Might be another word in there, too. But, it's a squeeze bottle, so digging it out.

I'm going to check out powdered stuff though!

Oh -and a tip for filling a bag - I use an empty Pringles can to put the plastic bag in and fold the edges over the can. It's much neater than trying to hold it in one hand.

I think you mean Americolors. Great tip about folding the bag in a pringles can, btw. I'm a big decorator and have never heard of or though of that! Thanks for sharing!