PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about GD test-orange drink

c&j04
01-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Nurse said get it down in a 5-10 min time frame. Dr said straight down or re test. I can't even take Nyquil...its before 7 am here and I'm gagging:) who's right? Nurse or doc?

kdeunc
01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
5-10 minutes is what I have done for all three of my tests. I don't think you should have to shotgun it! :) Good luck.

KrisM
01-11-2010, 08:23 AM
5-10 minutes is what I have done for all three of my tests. I don't think you should have to shotgun it! :) Good luck.

:yeahthat: It shouldsay on the bottle, too.

Melaine
01-11-2010, 08:25 AM
I know I didn't drink mine very quickly....I probably took the full 10 minutes. UGH.

c&j04
01-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks! 8 min here and almost all of it stayed down! Off to Dr.

Cam&Clay
01-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Make sure it's icy cold. It helps!

bluestarfish18
01-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I think by "straight down" she meant don't take 30 minutes to finish it. I also can't stand any sugary drinks and had a relatively easy time finishing it within 5-10 minutes.

lizzywednesday
01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
UGH! That flat orange soda tasting crap must be chugged or else I can't get it down. (I hate orange soda on a good day, but flat orange soda is the pits!)

But, they've always given me 5-10 minutes to finish it.

(Thankfully, I've passed both of my 1hr screens so I don't have to face it again.)

DebbieJ
01-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I went to a lab for my 1 hour and they made me drink the whole thing in 5 mins. The thing I hated the most was drinking it out of a styrofoam cup. Yuck!

JBaxter
01-11-2010, 10:26 AM
10 minutes here and Ive had 4 of them different offices/labs

lizzywednesday
01-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I went to a lab for my 1 hour and they made me drink the whole thing in 5 mins. The thing I hated the most was drinking it out of a styrofoam cup. Yuck!

You got a cup?

Andi98989
01-11-2010, 11:03 AM
5-10 minutes. I got mine in a cup, and had the option of orange or lemon-lime. I went with the lemon-line. It was a lot like a Sprite.

KrisM
01-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I had lemon-lime twice and orange once. I always poured it into a regular glass, just because. I always drank mine at home though and not at a lab. I never had the time to schedule sitting for an hour in the lab, so taking at home was easier.

ThreeofUs
01-11-2010, 11:08 AM
5-10 minutes. Some techs will time you, though, so retire to a quiet corner and sip.

daisymommy
01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
After doing some reading with this last pregnancy, I decided not to the GD test. I read that the overload of sugar in your system and the baby's system was really unhealthy, and it was made worse by sitting still in a waiting room, rather than walking around so your body can metabolize the sugar. The test is also notorious for producing false positives, which can lead to mothers being diagnosed with GD when they really don't have it.

I talked with my midwives, and they said one thing most care providers don't tell women--but that we can do--is to drink a bottle (I forget the size--10 oz. maybe? that had the correct number of sugar grams--300 I think?) of white grape juice, and that it has the same amount of sugar in it, but because it is natural sugar the body can metabolize it much easier, and give a truer reading.

So, I brought in a small bottle of Welch's white grape juice, drank it up, waited the hour, and had my blood tested. Easy as pie! Now why don't more doctor's know about this? I did the nasty orange drink with my other two babes. Blech!

infocrazy
01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
I probably drank it in less than 5. Ask if they have other flavors. I never tried the orange but the lemon-lime is not bad at all. It's pretty similar to sprite. My lab has orange, cola, or lemon-lime. I've heard the cola is terrible.

My lab is downstairs from the office so I usually drink the stuff, go to an appt, then get my blood draw.

fortato
01-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I might have the option of doing the jelly bean test instead of glucola. Let's hope there are Brachs Jelly beans out there by the end of February!

DietCokeLover
01-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I probably drank it in less than 5. Ask if they have other flavors. I never tried the orange but the lemon-lime is not bad at all. It's pretty similar to sprite. My lab has orange, cola, or lemon-lime. I've heard the cola is terrible.

My lab is downstairs from the office so I usually drink the stuff, go to an appt, then get my blood draw.

With DC#2, I chose fruit punch flavor over the orange. Much better (relatively speaking). Having it be as cold as possible helps too.

DebbieJ
01-11-2010, 01:20 PM
After doing some reading with this last pregnancy, I decided not to the GD test. !

I declined it with ds1 and originally declined it when preggo with ds2, but then my midwife (different mw this time) and I didn't see eye to eye about it and she wanted me to test my blood sugars 4x a day! After a week of that nonsense, I just consented to the test and passed with flying colors!

marie
01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I might have the option of doing the jelly bean test instead of glucola. Let's hope there are Brachs Jelly beans out there by the end of February!

My OB gave me 18 jelly bellies (and let me choose the flavors!).