PDA

View Full Version : I am 3000 miles away from home...

wencit
01-11-2010, 08:19 AM
and I woke up with a golfball-sized plugged duct in my breast. Ouch! I just hope it doesn't turn into mastitis while I'm here.

Sigh. What a great start to my vacation.

hellokitty
01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
If I were you, I'd just nurse, nurse, nurse as much as possible to try to prevent mastitis from kicking in and if that doesn't help, take a hot shower and try to massage it out. I'm sorry you have plugged ducts while traveling, that sucks. Crossing my fingers that it goes away for you.

Momof3Labs
01-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Can you get to a CVS? Pick up a bottle of Lecithin in the vitamin aisle to take (orally) every day. And a Thermacare heat wrap thingy, to use on the spot to soften up that plug. I use a little microwave bag and tuck it in my bra for a while and it works GREAT, but the Thermacare wraps are easy to find in drug stores.

Feel better!!

elektra
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
This happened to me a few weeks ago when I was stuck in an airport with no DS to nurse!
As soon as I got home I nursed, nursed, nursed and it cleared up.
Everyone suggested doing the moist heat thing which I wasn't able to do but would have if I could. I also took Advil.
Hope it clears up soon!

scrooks
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I have no advice for you but this just sounds awful!
I hope it gets better soon!

MamaMolly
01-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Owie, owie, owie! Fingers crossed you get that sucker moving soon!

citymama
01-11-2010, 05:02 PM
You have the baby with you, right? Nurse away, little guy! Hot shower, massage and warm compress just above and around the plugged duct can also help get the duct loosened up. Good luck and hope it goes away soon!

wencit
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks, ladies! I have yet another bleb (blocked nipple pore), so I jumped into the shower and did a little self-surgery with a sterile needle, then let DS2 nurse away. It feels a bit better now -- at least it's not a big lump anymore. I'll have to locate a CVS tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't get worse this week.

I'm a big nursing advocate, but sometimes it can be such a pain (pun intended)! Thanks for your suggestions, and for commiserating with me. Y'all are the best!

amldaley
01-11-2010, 10:36 PM
KEEP 'EM WARM! In colder Scandanavian countries, the advocate using wool nurisng pads or bra liners in winter to keep those ducts toasty and flowing. Also, don't forget to massage the side baby is nursing on towards the end of the nursing session and try different holds to make sure those ducts are getting as drained as possible.