PDA

View Full Version : Show me a picture of your baby's closet...

megan973
01-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Hello! I'm not sure if I've posted in the right thread...

DH and I are trying to decide on the shelf vs. hanging space in the nursery, and I need your help! Would anyone be willing to post a pic of their baby's closet so that I can see how it's laid out? Or, if you can explain what has been helpful (or not helpful) in your closet layout...

We will have a 6-drawer dresser/changing table, but I am someone who likes all of my own clothing hung up, so I figure I will do that for most of the baby's stuff too. I figure the closet will be used for storing some extras like diapers, in addition to clothing.

Thanks for your help!

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2010, 10:47 AM
No pic, but I can give you a description... We have the closetmaid shelf-track system so we can change it from shelving to hanging and back, depending on the needs we are seeing. We also have a wardrobe/armoire for DD's room, which is great b/c so many dresses seem to collect in there. We don't have anything like that for the boys' room b/c they have more folded items, like pants, etc. Which will you have?

We used to have more hanging space, but last week (at 3.5yo) moved her closet around to have more shelf space for games, puzzles, toys, etc. We did have a combination so that clothing to grow into was all hung up, and the shelves had lots of space for packs of diapers from the attic. We also kept a bin for outgrown clothing and clothing to grow into, because some things don't hang well, and clothes are outgrown here every week. We also keep a bin for out of season items like hats/mittens/shoes or swimsuits/coverups/swim diapers on the shelves.

A 7-(or 6) drawer dresser is really helpful because you can keep a hand on the baby while you reach into the drawers for a clean change of clothes. Going to the closet takes more planning.

newg
01-14-2010, 04:49 PM
We have DD's closet split...........half is shelves, using the rubber maid closet system and the other half is for hanging clothes (though you could hang clothes off the closet maid shelves too)...........I figure the rubbermaid system is nice because I can move the shelves up and down as she gets bigger and I still have plenty of room to hang clothes.....
We're not done with her closet, but it works for now.
I keep extra diapers, wipes and her hamper in the bottom of the closet..........things I don't want her to reach on the top shelves (baby first aid stuff, bags for diaper pail).....and shoes and other stuff on the rest of the shelves
Like PP mentioned, I keep most go-to stuff in the dresser because that is where I am changing her....socks, daily clothes, current diaper and wipes......to get to the closet I either have to leave her on the changing table, plan ahead, or pick her up............................to much work IMO....

Claki
01-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Here is our nursery closet. I love the hanging organizers. You can't see but on each side there is about a foot space that we use for big items like boosters seats, strollers, and a baby bath.

megan973
01-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info!

Claki - are your hanging organizers 4 separate pieces? Do you mind telling me where they are from? Thank you!

Claki
01-19-2010, 08:29 PM
They are actually two separate hanging organizers. They worked out much better than I imagined. The only thing I didn't like is that I can't find a canvas storage box that will fit in the lower cubbies.

It is this but in blue:

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Closet-Organizer-2d-Pink/dp/B000IZ1GSW/ref=pd_sim_ba_1

megan973
01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Cool! Thanks for the link.

GraceH
01-20-2010, 09:18 PM
They are actually two separate hanging organizers. They worked out much better than I imagined. The only thing I didn't like is that I can't find a canvas storage box that will fit in the lower cubbies.

It is this but in blue:

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Closet-Organizer-2d-Pink/dp/B000IZ1GSW/ref=pd_sim_ba_1

Also at BRU in blue, green, and pink... http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3006581 They also have matching bins and such.

gobadgers
01-20-2010, 10:39 PM
This thread is fun! The closets were already organized up when we moved into our house, and I didn't like them much at first but its growing on me.

The closets are split in half, one side has room to hang up high (higher than the kids will be able to reach for a LONG time), with shelves underneath. The other side is shelves from top to bottom. It is an IKEA system with all solid shelves. It is technically adjustable, but not as easy as the Rubbermaid or elfa systems.

I agree with what WatchingThemGrow said above, it matters whether it is a boy or a girl. I find it much easier to find things and keep things organized in the closet vs. in drawers. So, in DS's room the shelves are great. However in DD's room I could really use more hanging space for all the dresses.

Good luck!

megan973
01-25-2010, 01:49 PM
The ones at TRU say they are out of stock... must be a popular item. I'll keep checking as I think it will be just what we need! Thanks again!

zany
01-30-2010, 10:45 PM
i haven't actually filled ours up yet - just getting the baby room ready now - no baby yet and only 4 little outfits hanging in the closet :)
but what i decided to do was move an old non-matching dresser into the closet and then the whole rod above it is still available to hang stuff on, and since the clothes will be little the dresser shouldn't get in the way.

crazye
01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
No pic as it's in demo mode right now (re-arranging to accommodate 2 kids vs 1). But we have a walk-in closet and the longest wall has a Rubbermaid ClosetMaid system where I can adjust the height of shelves to accommodate our needs. The top shelf goes all the way across (it's actually 2 pieces) and the bottom shelf goes across the entire closet except approx 1' of space. Since the top shelf is longer and there's a larger opening below, I had DH hang a sweater holder like this:

http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=10104&f=4155

in it so I could put some of the bulkier stuff.

The upper hanging shelf will have DD#1's stuff and on the shelf are 2 large rubbermaid tubs of clothing that she's outgrown already.

The lower hanging shelf will have DD#2's stuff BUT there's no space to put storage tubs on top of the shelf without smooshing all of #1's clothing (I'm only 5' tall so having 2 levels of hanging clothes always has to be super low to accommodate me).

On the floor under all the clothes are rubbermaid storage tubs stacked 2 high (so 6 tubs total) of DD#1's clothes that I will slowly pull out for #2.

Since it's a walk-in when you open the closet door the hanging space is directly in front of you and all the depth is to the right side so to the right of the door inside the closet is a 5 drawer wire unit from Rubbermaid where I put cloth dipes, onsies, pants, etc. I'm not 100% sure how I'll organize this now that I will have stuff for 2 girls.

The space inside the actual bedroom is at a premium since we have 2 girls sharing 1 small (10x11) room. After you put in a twin bed, crib, LaZBoy and changing table there is absolutely no space for a dresser. So that's why we got the drawer unit to go into the closet. I am already guessing that spare blankets and such will have to be moved into rubbermaid under the bed tubs to go under DD#1's bed. Also right now I have crib linens in the 5 drawer unit and those will definitely need to be moved to the already cramped linen closet. It's just.enough space for 2 girls as long as we don't get a bunch of useless gifts when #2 arrives (I'd be fine with clothes, but if I get any more blankets I think I'll SCREAM!) I have enough blankets for a small army at this point!

megan973
02-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Wow - love all of the color choices in the Land of Nod hanging organizers.