PDA

View Full Version : if you see (but don't hear) baby wake from nap, do you get them?

lmh2402
01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
the blessing and curse of a video monitor

if you see your kid wake from a nap. and maybe you hear them babbling softly. but they are not crying. do you get them up?

we definitely don't get him before his one hour has passed. and he woke up from this morning's nap after a whopping 30 minutes. so i left him in there.

but now it's pushing an hour and fifteen minutes. (so he's been awake and sitting in his crib quietly for 45 min :eek:) and he's still not crying. but now i'm feeling horrible guilt.

i am going to go get him right now b/c i feel like a neglectful mom.

but just wondering what others would have done

DietCokeLover
01-11-2010, 11:26 AM
No, I don't get them if they are playing in there quietly. I figure that sometimes they need some down/ alone time too.

Clarity
01-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I'd probably do what you've done. Give them a chance to go back to sleep but if they haven't after awhile, go get them. No reason to teach him that the only thing that brings a parent is when he screams, kwim?

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2010, 11:28 AM
No, I don't get them if they are playing in there quietly. I figure that sometimes they need some down/ alone time too.

:yeahthat:

If they need/ want to be gotten then they'll let you know. Till then, let them and yourself enjoy the peace. The ability to entertain yourself is a great thing and should be encouraged. :)

Beth

KrisM
01-11-2010, 11:34 AM

If they need/ want to be gotten then they'll let you know. Till then, let them and yourself enjoy the peace. The ability to entertain yourself is a great thing and should be encouraged. :)

Beth

Yep. This is what I'd do.

infomama
01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
:yeahthat:.

nov04
01-11-2010, 11:43 AM

Beth

We've always done this. I that's why ours go back to sleep so easily when they wake up at night.

LexyLou
01-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I never had that problem with my first, lol. She always woke up screaming...lovely.

But my second did/does some times wake up and just kind of chill in her crib. We have some board books in there and some times she just sits and reads and sings to herself. Usually after about 30 minutes I'll go get her if she hasn't called for me, but I do let her have some down time if she isn't calling for me.

happymom
01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
I definitely would not get her until she cries/calls for me. As Beth mentioned, its great for them to learn how to entertain themselves. I also leave some quiet toys in her crib, and sometimes she turns on her music (Fisher Price Rainforest) and just chills out. I love watching her do this on the video monitor and dont feel the least bit guilty! I know if she WANTED to come out, she would certainly let me know! I think she actually enjoys just hanging out in her crib sometimes.

wendibird22
01-11-2010, 12:30 PM

And my toddler the other day actually told DH she wasn't ready to come down stairs yet and stayed up in her bed for another 30 mins!

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I let them stay a few min, but not too long as DS1 is a huge thumb sucker and would stay there all day given the opportunity. His teeth are funky now.

wellyes
01-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Are you kidding? Kids who can entertain themselves are golden! I like lolling in bed for a little after I wake up, don't most people? Don't feel remotely guilty.

I think DD really likes a certain amount of crib time. When I go to get her sometimes she points & says "book!" -- wants to look at some pictures before getting up. She has NO problem making some noise if she wakes & doesn't want to be alone, or if she's tired of plaing in her crib (and I don't mean she cries). Earlier she just called, but now that she has some words she says "helllloooo, helllllloooo".

alirebco
01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
My child always wakes up screaming - well 99% of the time anyway! If I see him up but not crying, I only go in there if we need to leave to go do something. Otherwise I enjoy the quiet time!

sunriseiz
01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
I missed how old your CD is, but this happens rarely at our house...usually, he wakes up screaming. Sigh. If I do know he's awake, but quiet, I go in after a little bit to try to encourage him to play quietly more, kwim? However, not sure it's working ;)

lchang25000
01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I would have done exactly what you did. I don't get him unless he starts crying.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Another vote for waiting. My DD is almost 3 and still does this. She lets us know when she wants to get out.

No need to feel guilty, your child is happy!

TwinFoxes
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
This is one of the hidden benefits of twins. Sometimes they wake up and stay in their cribs a LONG time just "chatting" to one another. When they're finally ready to get out, I know it. And I'll go in and they have passed their toys back and forth from one crib to the other. :) I can use the extra down time, and I'm sure they can too!

rlu
01-11-2010, 07:50 PM
heck no, let him have alone time.

Due to DH's preference for a fan all year long, we still use a baby monitor so I can hear DS if he calls us at night, and some mornings I'll hear him singing to himself or talking to his dogs while waiting for the magic time (7am weekdays, 7:30am weekends) to get up.

happymom
01-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Earlier she just called, but now that she has some words she says "helllloooo, helllllloooo".

And I'll go in and they have passed their toys back and forth from one crib to the other. :)

Both of these made me smile. So cute.

newg
01-11-2010, 10:08 PM
If DD wakes up but seems to be playing quietly, I let her........she'll usually call out my name when she's ready to wake up and get up.
Even before she could say my name I could tell when she was ready to get out of the crib by the type of noises she made.........

I say let them play/entertain themselves............quiet time is just as important as nap time............

jgenie
01-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Nope, I enjoy the rare moments and savor the "me time". I go get him when he calls for me or makes grumpy sounds.