PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's CA earthquake check-in

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I was PMing citymama and realized that some of our CA friends may have been affected by the quake this weekend. Everyone okay?

LexyLou
01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm in the SF Bay Area and didn't feel it at all. Eureka is pretty far North (pretty much at the CA border).

But I do have to say I'm pretty freaked out about all the little (and not so little) earthquakes we've been having. Especially on the fault line in Milpitas that hasn't been active at all.

We went to Home Depot this weekend and bought a bunch of brackets to attach all our large furniture to the wall.

I've been out of state for 4 years so I totally forgot about having to do that. EEK. I hate earthquakes.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm in the SF Bay Area and didn't feel it at all. Eureka is pretty far North (pretty much at the CA border).

But I do have to say I'm pretty freaked out about all the little (and not so little) earthquakes we've been having. Especially on the fault line in Milpitas that hasn't been active at all.

We went to Home Depot this weekend and bought a bunch of brackets to attach all our large furniture to the wall.

I've been out of state for 4 years so I totally forgot about having to do that. EEK. I hate earthquakes.

The little quakes relieve pressure, keep telling yourself that. Little quakes are good, it just stinks to have to go through them...I moved from So. SF to Flagstaff, AZ only to find out we are expected to have a 6.0+ in the next 30 years. We have a lot of volcanoes here, so I should have figured...

Globetrotter
01-11-2010, 01:04 PM
I am hoping all the little ones do relieve the pressure, but I've read that it would take a whole lot of them to make a difference :cry:

rlu
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
We're also in SF Bay area and didn't feel it. We did feel two of the lead-up quakes based in Milpitas. One theory I heard was that the little ones we had down here shifted the pressure further north. Luckily the quake was based offshore.

AnnieW625
01-11-2010, 01:43 PM
My parents are in Woodland (90 min. north of San Francisco) and didn't feel it at all. That area is prone to large earthquakes, but they are never felt much further south and definitely not as far south as San Francisco. The only outstanding effect of that earth quake is that there is probably a tsunami warning for the coastal area.

Also FWIW Eureka is at least a 5 hour drive from San Francisco (it looks like a lot less on a map though!)

elektra
01-11-2010, 02:04 PM
All my San Fran peeps didn't feel it either!

codex57
01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm in the Sacramento region and didn't feel squat. Then again, Sacramento is pretty far from fault lines apparently. We're somewhat close to Woodland so I find it strange that area is known for earthquakes. Cuz around here, there's no need to buy earthquake insurance since we're so far from big faults.

rlu
01-11-2010, 04:15 PM
We're somewhat close to Woodland so I find it strange that area is known for earthquakes. Cuz around here, there's no need to buy earthquake insurance since we're so far from big faults.

I read Annie's comment to refer to the Eureka area. See article in local paper linked here

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_14162847

citymama
01-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Did not feel the big one on Saturday. We did feel the ones last week epicentered in Milpitas.

To everyone in the Bay Area, or those living anywhere with natural disaster risks, please please please go to www.72hours.org (http://www.72hours.org) and start to assemble your earthquake kits and Go Bags. NOW. Don't wait.

AnnieW625
01-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm in the Sacramento region and didn't feel squat. Then again, Sacramento is pretty far from fault lines apparently. We're somewhat close to Woodland so I find it strange that area is known for earthquakes. Cuz around here, there's no need to buy earthquake insurance since we're so far from big faults.

You'll most likely feel stuff on the San Andreas or Hayward Fault that big though because we felt the 89 San Francisco quake. Quakes are not common in that area.

MMMommy
01-11-2010, 06:00 PM
We live in the Peninsula Bay Area and didn't even know there was an earthquake!