PDA

View Full Version : Co-Sleeper Question - Use With Platform Bed?

lizzywednesday
01-11-2010, 01:53 PM
OK, DH is a stubborn cuss and only likes platform beds. (No boxspring.)

Our DC will arrive in March and I expect to breastfeed.

Many people are very strong proponents of co-sleeping. Keeping Baby in our bed, between us, is not an option because of how restless we both are, not to mention the gap DH seems to DELIBERATELY put between the end of the headboard and the wall behind the bed by stuffing his (ratty nasty) pillow there and the fact that DH sleeps with 3 pillows anyway.

I am starting to look into side-model cosleepers, but need to know if this is an exercise in futility without a boxspring. (If it is, I'll take my sister's brand-new bassinette off her hands. Her very tall DS will be about 4 months old when my DC arrives and he's already outgrown the bassinette.)

michellerw
01-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Liz, I have the Arm's Reach Mini ClearVue. It is adjustable (rather than requiring leg extensions). We have a rather high bed, so we have the opposite problem, but it accommodates our bed perfectly.

When I get home from work tonight, I can measure it at its lowest setting (and even account for removal of the wheels) to see if it would work for you.

lizzywednesday
01-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Liz, I have the Arm's Reach Mini ClearVue. It is adjustable (rather than requiring leg extensions). We have a rather high bed, so we have the opposite problem, but it accommodates our bed perfectly.

When I get home from work tonight, I can measure it at its lowest setting (and even account for removal of the wheels) to see if it would work for you.

Wow, there's a height requirement, too? The things I am learning!!!

Thanks for the help!

michellerw
01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
According to Arms Reach, the Clear Vue works from 24 inches to 30 inches in 2 inch increments. I think our bed is about at 32 inches, because I know the cosleeper is a little lower. Some of the other cosleepers come at a standard height and then Arms Reach sells height extenders to get the cosleeper up to your bed's height. I honestly hated that idea; it sounded insecure and kind of messy to me.

You could probably get it a little lower if you were able to take the wheels off. I'm not sure if they come off or not. You might need to contact Arms Reach to find out.

lizzywednesday
01-15-2010, 08:59 AM
According to Arms Reach, the Clear Vue works from 24 inches to 30 inches in 2 inch increments. I think our bed is about at 32 inches, because I know the cosleeper is a little lower. Some of the other cosleepers come at a standard height and then Arms Reach sells height extenders to get the cosleeper up to your bed's height. I honestly hated that idea; it sounded insecure and kind of messy to me.

You could probably get it a little lower if you were able to take the wheels off. I'm not sure if they come off or not. You might need to contact Arms Reach to find out.

Thank you.

Is it 3-sided or 4-sided? (I was watching a ton of "baby" shows, like 'A Baby Story' and 'Bringing Home Baby' on TLC and have seen some co-sleepers in use, but they all seem to be different.)

If it's 3-sided, wouldn't the gap between the platform & mattress worry you?

If it's 4-sided, I should just take my sister's bassinette because, like I said, her DS has outgrown it. He's 9 weeks old, 13.9 lbs and 25 inches!

michellerw
01-15-2010, 11:56 AM
They are convertible. They are four sided, but one side comes down to attach to the bed if you decide to use it as a cosleeper. W/r/t the gap, there's hardware to attach it to the bed and the idea isn't necessarily that the baby can roll into your bed -- just that s/he's nearby.

Technically, it's a "cosleeper bassinet"

If you're not sure you're going to use it in cosleeper mode, I'd go with the free bassinet, personally.

lizzywednesday
01-19-2010, 05:08 PM
They are convertible. They are four sided, but one side comes down to attach to the bed if you decide to use it as a cosleeper. W/r/t the gap, there's hardware to attach it to the bed and the idea isn't necessarily that the baby can roll into your bed -- just that s/he's nearby.

Technically, it's a "cosleeper bassinet"

If you're not sure you're going to use it in cosleeper mode, I'd go with the free bassinet, personally.

Thanks again for your experience. It's been a great help.

And I think I'll tell my sister we'll take the bassinet.