PDA

View Full Version : good pregnancy board?

Beckylove
01-11-2010, 02:19 PM
I love this board and I'm not leaving, but I am looking for recs for a good pregnancy specific board. Any ideas?

I have all those first tri specific questions that I have totally forgotten the answers to and don't want to annoy people here.

Thanks for your help!

Fairy
01-11-2010, 02:22 PM
There are pregnancy boards. I'm sure someone will turn you on to one, but in the meantime, don't be afraid to ask pregnancy questions, here! You'll get plenty of support, I'm sure!

AnnieW625
01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
You won't annoy people here. There are quite a few first trimester mommies here. Good luck, and congratulations:)

MoJo
01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Congrats!

My limited experience with other boards, and especially pregnancy boards, is that the people often come across as very immature. I trust what I read here a lot more!

I don't think I'll be the only one to say we wouldn't be annoyed. A LOT of us are pregnant right now!

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
And a lot of us have been through the first trimester several times :)

Beckylove
01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Do I really need prescription/fancy prenatal vitamins? Cant I buy over the counter generic prenatals? As long as they contain the recommended stuff esp. folic acid, aren't they all pretty much the same?

What was the deal with lunch meat again? I love turkey sandwiches. I think the rec is to heat the turkey until it is steaming to kill potential listeria(?) bacteria. Is that still the recommendation? Does it make a difference if it is deli counter turkey vs packaged shaved turkey?

Weight gain recs for a slightly overweight person- 25bmi?

Any advice on eating vegetables when they all look revolting to me right now?

Current thoughts on hair color? I've got a few crazy fly away grays right now and would like my head to look pretty if my whole body is gonna change. Is this a not at all, ok in a well ventalated area, or wait till after the first tri type of thing?

Those are todays questions. Thanks for your wisdom!

Beckylove
01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=MoJo;2591481] My limited experience with other boards, and especially pregnancy boards, is that the people often come across as very immature. I trust what I read here a lot more!
QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly--- that is why I thought I'd get a rec from those I "know" and respect. This is one great group of thoughtful, well educated parents.

arivecchi
01-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Do I really need prescription/fancy prenatal vitamins? Cant I buy over the counter generic prenatals? As long as they contain the recommended stuff esp. folic acid, aren't they all pretty much the same? I could not take prenantals because I hated the taste, so my OB had me take Flinstones ones. :)

KrisM
01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I could not take prenantals because I hated the taste, so my OB had me take Flinstones ones. :)

Me, too.

Yeah, stick around here. Lots of mamas with lots of experience :).

KrisM
01-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Do I really need prescription/fancy prenatal vitamins? Cant I buy over the counter generic prenatals? As long as they contain the recommended stuff esp. folic acid, aren't they all pretty much the same?

What was the deal with lunch meat again? I love turkey sandwiches. I think the rec is to heat the turkey until it is steaming to kill potential listeria(?) bacteria. Is that still the recommendation? Does it make a difference if it is deli counter turkey vs packaged shaved turkey?

Current thoughts on hair color? I've got a few crazy fly away grays right now and would like my head to look pretty if my whole body is gonna change. Is this a not at all, ok in a well ventalated area, or wait till after the first tri type of thing?

I took Flintstones with #1 and a regular prenatal from Meijer's with the other 2. No issues with that.

Weight gain - I never worried too much. I was in the "eat what you need to" camp. I didn't "eat for 2" or anything, but if I needed to eat, I did. I tried my best to eat healthy. I really don't think I did anything differently between pregnancies and gained 48, 33, and 25 lbs.

Fairy
01-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Part of the big deal with pre-nat vitimins is the folic acid. I was on a vitimin plus an extra folic acid vitimin; the doc said cuz I was overweight, he wanted me on extra FA. I thought this sounded fishy, but I did it anyway. If you ensure you're getting enough folic acid in your diet, then I don't see why a more palatable vitimin wouldn't do, and they even make them in gummy bears now, too!

arivecchi
01-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I liked tracking my weight with a pregnancy weight gain chart, so that you know if you are gaining too much week by week.

http://www.parentingweekly.com/pregnancy/pregnancy_health_fitness/weightgain_chart.htm#

arivecchi
01-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Re: lunch meats:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

Fairy
01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
When it comes to eating and nutrition, I agree with Kris that you just do what you can do as healthfully as you can, whatever that means for you. I was queasy for six solid months, almost seven. I only threw up once, but I was nauseous almost 24/7. I couldn't get near alot of things. I, therefore, took my vitimin seriously, and I avoided anythign that I knew was bad for me. That meant no artificial sweetner, no caffeine, period, cold turkey. But if all I could stomach was a hershey bar and a bowl of cereal, then that's what it meant. Do the very best you can, take a vitimin, try to get your folic acid, and just take it day by day. The baby will take what it needs.

arivecchi
01-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I could not handle morning sickness (really, all day sickness), so my OB prescribed Zofran. I would not have gotten pregnant with #2, had it not been for the fact that this medication helped me with the awful sickness I experienced the first time around. I would not suffer if I don't have to.

Ceepa
01-11-2010, 03:00 PM
You wouldn't annoy anyone here but I totally understand wanting a pregnancy specific board, sometimes it's fun to all be in the same boat at the time. I hope someone here can point you to one.

infocrazy
01-11-2010, 03:14 PM

1. I take Walgreens prenatal with a Folic Acid (400) supplement.
2. Already answered up thread but I have eaten some deli meat although it isn't super appealing to me right now.
3. Not quite sure about weight gain recs but my general philosophy is eat when you are hungry, try to make smart choices, give in to cravings, but in reasonable quantities. Some days will be different than others, particularly with m/s. There were days I lived on blueberries with DS1. This one preferred raspberries...
4. Keep trying until you find one that you like, even if you don't normally like them. I do not like yogurt, but have liked it all four pregnancies.
5. I have heard highlights are better than overall color because of the contact to the scalp but haven't heard anything directly related for either. I did get highlights my first three times, but stretched them out and did the minimum. I am not getting them this time but long story short, I'd let them grow out so much last time that I was at the point where I just decided not to get them. Don't pull out the grey because you will end up with short strands that stand straight up...so I've heard...:wink2:

maydaymommy
01-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Can we mention other boards?

I found the due date forums WAY more tolerable at Mothering, as opposed to Baby Center.

Personally, I found that good quality prenatal vitamins really made a difference in how I felt day to day. I used New Chapter Organics Prenatal, as well as a prescription folic acid supplement, AND also a DHA supplement. I took Nordic Naturals prenatal version, or their regular one - it was pretty much the same.

I was not at all worried about the unregulated nature of over the counter vitamins and supplements because the prenatals I took with ds1 had recently been quietly recalled! So, I certainly didn't think the ones that came from the pharmacy rather than the vitamin store would be safer.

MoJo
01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
I've found I can tolerate salad and fruit far better than any cooked vegetables during this pregnancy. (I have to get DH to feed DD her veggies, because I just can't do it). But it's definitely been a focus on eating whatever was relatively healthy that I could keep down.

I've had less trouble with my vitamins this time. The midwife wanted me to take any standard pre-natal, plus DHA. (DHA was a new recommendation for this pregnancy, but as far as I could tell it was something they now recommend for everyone). I had already bought my pre-natals, so I added Expecta (a separate pill) for the DHA.

My midwife just prescribed Zofran to help with the all day nausea for me last week, and that has been a life-changer!

I'm somewhat overweight too (apparently I lose baby weight after I wean, and I was still nursing when I got pregnant), but they didn't give me any different guidelines for weight gain.

Best wishes for a healthy and happy pregnancy!

dna_gal
01-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Re: prenatals-- any are fine as long as they contain 800mcg folic acid, which they all do.
Re: lunch meat- yes listeria and yes- microwave til steaming, doesn't matter if it is from deli or prepackaged.
Re: hair color- see this fact sheet.. http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/hairtreatments

cindykop
01-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I love this board and I'm not leaving, but I am looking for recs for a good pregnancy specific board. Any ideas?

I have all those first tri specific questions that I have totally forgotten the answers to and don't want to annoy people here.

Thanks for your help!

www.babycenter.com, then look in the group under what month you are delivering. Great group and they love to answer questions.

boltfam
01-11-2010, 03:53 PM
If you're near a Meijer store at all, prenatal vitamins are free! Otherwise, I get the generics from Walgreens, which are $12 for a 3 mo. supply. I've never bought OTC ones, so I don't know if that's cheaper or not.

I am expecting in May and was super sick with this pregnancy. In the first trimester, I ate what sounded good, b/c those were usually the things I could keep down. Now that I'm feeling better, I'm eating more veggies. I would say don't sweat it in the first trimester.