PDA

View Full Version : Ds1 wants DS2 to sleep in his bedroom

hillview
01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
DS1 wants DS2 to sleep in his bedroom he announced this 2x this weekend. DS1 has a larger room. I am considering having them in same room. I think I'd like an extra room and I feel like bed time would be an easier thing (one book reading session etc). Is this a good idea. DS2 is still in a crib. Would you wait?

THOUGHTS?
/hillary

Melaine
01-11-2010, 03:54 PM
If they are both relatively good sleepers, I think it's fair to give it a try. You can always change the set-up if you find it isn't working. Personally, I think siblings sharing rooms is sweet and fun and I wanted my kiddos to share before I found out they were going to born at the same time.:love-retry:

KrisM
01-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Two years ago, when my kids were 3.5 and 1.5, DS1 (3.5) kept saying he wanted DD to move into his room. Finally, one day, I took down her crib and moved her in. It was great. Seriously. DS1 had never been a great sleeper and I think he wanted company. They both did great in there for about a year and then they started wanting their own space, so we moved DD out to her own room again.

I'd give it a try and see how it goes. It's a pain, but you can always move one back out.

belovedgandp
01-11-2010, 04:50 PM
My almost 6 YO and 2 1/2 YO have been sharing a room since October. Older son had been asking for him to share a room for quite a while. Our third is due in March, so that forced the issue somewhat. We got a good deal on a bunkbed set. I was planning on leaving younger son in his crib for a while longer, but set up the new beds. Yeah, he instantly wanted to be in that room.

It's worked out well for us. Younger son had been in a crib, but moved to the twin bed without even a pause. It is nice to put both boys to bed at the same time. Younger son was going to bed before older one, but is staying up later now. Worked out for me because he was starting to skip naps, but with less sleep at night he's keeping his nap routine.

There are times it drives me crazy when they pester each other and stay up late, but then there are the nights that are so cute when you hear them talking to each other and singing songs together.

MaiseyDog
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I am so glad to read this today. DH and I talked about moving the girls into one room this weekend. We are in a small house and are running out of space. We are thinking about turning DD2's bedroom into a playroom (it's already the TV room) and putting both girls in DD1's room. The problem is the bedrooms are both small and the only way we could accomplish this is to get bunkbeds. Does anyone have any advise on what age to do bunkbeds? DD1 is about to be 5 and DD2 is almost 2 1/2. Obviously, DD2 would be sleeping in the bottom bunk, but I'm worried about her climbing up to the top and getting hurt.

DrSally
01-11-2010, 09:54 PM
DS has periodically asked to sleep in his room or vice versa. I think he might like the company. At night, before he falls asleep, he goes into her room and gives her a stuffed animal or blanket. But ultimately, it would be bad for sleep. They have different schedules. DD falls asleep right away, but wakes up really early--around 5 am. . DS takes awhile to fall asleep, but wakes up at 6:30-7am

o_mom
01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I am so glad to read this today. DH and I talked about moving the girls into one room this weekend. We are in a small house and are running out of space. We are thinking about turning DD2's bedroom into a playroom (it's already the TV room) and putting both girls in DD1's room. The problem is the bedrooms are both small and the only way we could accomplish this is to get bunkbeds. Does anyone have any advise on what age to do bunkbeds? DD1 is about to be 5 and DD2 is almost 2 1/2. Obviously, DD2 would be sleeping in the bottom bunk, but I'm worried about her climbing up to the top and getting hurt.

I would wait until a bit older, the minimum age listed on them is usually 6+. I just know several people IRL who had kids get hurt pretty badly on them and they weren't messing around, just going up and down. If you can use a toddler bed for the younger one or put them in one full-size bed for a few years, that would get them to a safer age for bunks.

Tondi G
01-12-2010, 12:32 AM

my boys were 2 and 6 when we got our twin over full bunk beds. They worked out great for us. I like that the ladder isn't straight up and down since there is a full bed on the bottom. We've never had any injuries with ANY kids and our bunks. The full on the bottom leaves enough room for me to lay down with my little guy at night... the 3 of us cuddle and read books in the bottom bunk together etc. We put down some rules when we first got them. careful on the ladder, no standing or horsing around on the top bunk etc. The boys know we are serious and are very careful. You know your kids. If you think they would be careful and safe then try it.... if you don't feel good about it then pull the bunks apart and use them independently till you feel you can try again.

nov04
01-12-2010, 12:37 AM
My sisters and I would bunk in each other's rooms for years. My parents were fine as long as we slept. I'll be doing the same with the girls, we've even talked about them rooming together for company in the future. We'll likely buy a trundle bed for dd2 when we're ready to move her mattress off the floor.

smilequeen
01-12-2010, 12:46 AM
My boys have their own rooms, but they sleep in the same room, in the same bed. They love it and it really made my nights so much easier. It used to be that I'd read them both books and then I'd have DS1 lay in bed while I put DS2 to sleep. DS1 would whine and complain and cry b/c he hates to be alone. He also woke up and climbed in with me almost every night. Now, he still has bad dreams once or twice a week, but otherwise sleeps all night and doesn't complain at bedtime. DS2 slept well, but he wakes up even less frequently while they are together. And it's just so darn cute, the two of them all cuddled up together.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs246.snc1/9332_1245154333972_1382815785_30709198_7029969_n.j pg

Clarity
01-12-2010, 12:49 AM
I've always intended to have my dd's share a room when dds got a bit older and more reliable about sleeping through the night.

I recall feeling a bit bad for dd1 one night because she wanted to sleep with us. I think dd2 was a cosleeping infant at that point and I was very leery to let my toddler sleep next to the baby so I coaxed her to stay in her own room that night. But it bothered me just a bit. We make HER sleep alone, but we don't sleep alone. It hardly seems fair, even to me.

I'm wondering though, if your dc sleep in the same bed, how old were they? I've considered this alternative to two beds but I wondered how old dd2 must be to try this. I must be crazy to even consider it.

crl
01-12-2010, 12:57 AM
DS really wanted bunk beds so we got these: http://www.bedroomfurniture.com/Berg-Furniture-22-Series-Promo-FX1047.html for him when we moved last year. He was 5 1/2 at the time. I was nervous about bunk beds and felt better about these as the upper bunk is not very high up--about to my shoulders. We did not buy the stairs, partly to save money, but mostly because I thought they would make it too easy for future sibling(s) to climb up to the top bunk at too young of an age. DS gets to the top bunk by climbing on the bottom one and pushing himself up with his arms.

Catherine

cono0507
01-12-2010, 02:41 AM
My son is almost 5 and my daughter is 2.5. For the past few months, they've been sleeping in my son's room every night. We will be moving soon and my plan is for each child to have their own room, but they likely will continue to sleep in DS's room so I'll likely end up putting 2 beds in there. Right now they sleep together in DS's twin bed - it is pretty darn cute and does make bedtime easier! :)

Melaine
01-12-2010, 08:46 AM
My boys have their own rooms, but they sleep in the same room, in the same bed. They love it and it really made my nights so much easier. It used to be that I'd read them both books and then I'd have DS1 lay in bed while I put DS2 to sleep. DS1 would whine and complain and cry b/c he hates to be alone. He also woke up and climbed in with me almost every night. Now, he still has bad dreams once or twice a week, but otherwise sleeps all night and doesn't complain at bedtime. DS2 slept well, but he wakes up even less frequently while they are together. And it's just so darn cute, the two of them all cuddled up together.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs246.snc1/9332_1245154333972_1382815785_30709198_7029969_n.j pg

Your boys are adorable!!!