PDA

View Full Version : Britax Boulevard - What are we doing wrong?

Babywhite
01-11-2010, 04:31 PM
DD's carseat: Britax Boulevard
Ht: 45 inches
Wt: 43-44 lbs

According to the Britax website, this seat should still work well for her (49" max ht., 65lbs max wt). The problem is that we can't get the headrest to go any higher; therefore, the shoulder straps are not going over her shoulders but more 'up and over' the shoulders -- which I'm pretty sure is a no-no. (We lost the carseat manual when we moved.)

Are we doing something wrong or is the seat too small now?
Thanks!

jjordan
01-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Sounds like it is outgrown. The maximum height given by britax is just a guideline, and the actual height at which the seat is outgrown depends on how long the child's torso is in relation to his/her legs. Two children that are both 45" may well have torso heights that differ by an inch or more, so while your 45" child has run out of harness room, the other child may still have room to grow a bit.

If you want to check another way, have your child sit on the floor against the wall, mark the height of her shoulder, and then measure that. If it is in the neighborhood of 16-17", then the seat is probably outgrown. If it is less than that, then try to raise the headrest again; it may not be quite at the maximum setting.

KrisM
01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
You're not doing anything wrong. You child just has a longer torso relative to his overall height.

My DS1 outgrew it at about age 5 and 44" tall.

I'd say it's time to move up to either a High Back Booster or another harnessed seat, like the Britax Frontier. The Frontier becomes a booster after it's outgrown harnessed.

Joolsplus2
01-11-2010, 05:33 PM
<nodding in agreement with JJordan>.
That sounds like a pretty standard size to be too big for that seat. Extremely short torsoed kids make it a bit longer, taller kids are lucky to make it to 4.
We can help you figure out your next seat, booster or combination (harness then booster) depending on your car and his personality :thumbsup:

Babywhite
01-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks! Off to research the HBBs. :)

Babywhite